Ed is commended for his formidable technical expertise, with sources noting: "He is just an incredible resource from a practice knowledge standpoint and for his contacts throughout the industry." He is well regarded for his work in strata property and development, as well as for his commitment to education in the legal community. He is equally recognised for his drafting of legislation, with interviewees saying: "He is known for his incredible experience and is called on as an expert."
- Chambers Canada, 2019 Guide
Ed practices in the real estate and municipal law fields with a specialty in real estate development.
Ed has assisted clients in such projects as: redevelopment of industrial sites to permit multi-family residential uses; heritage designation and density bonusing arrangements; rezoning and redevelopment of shopping centres; development of office and industrial parks; development of numerous condominium projects; development and marketing of strata title hotels; restructuring of strata corporation bylaws; purchase of abandoned mining towns; development of mine sites; subdivision of pulp mills and saw mills; assisting municipalities on the redevelopment of downtown urban centres; and commercial lease negotiations for a wide variety of tenants and landlords.
Ed has been involved in large land assemblies, subdivisions, bare land strata plans, air space parcels, real estate acquisitions, financings, sales, and structuring forms of ownership and transactions.
Ed has provided advice to private proponents on public-private partnership matters particularly relating to medical infrastructure and transportation projects.
Working closely with sellers. buyers, and developers, Ed is a trusted advisor in connection with property and development projects spanning a wide variety of commercial, residential, industrial, resort and financing matters. Ed also provides advice on environmental matters in connection with real property.
He is one of the leading experts on strata corporation windups having completed a number of strata corporation windups as well as the first court approved windup in BC. Ed has been an active member of a number of committees over the years proposing changes to strata property law, including the BC Law Institute’s committee that recommended changes to the Strata Property Act that allows for more the flexible rules facilitating windups.
Ed has assisted clients on a number of energy related projects including cogeneration plants, run off river electrical generation plants, electrical transmission lines, and natural gas pipelines and LNG plants.
Ed’s expertise also includes advising clients on the development of standard form documentation in the real estate, strata management and mortgage broker fields and advising professional practicing in those fields.
Ed has been retained by the B.C. Law Society to provide advice on complaints against members and insurance claims in the real estate field. Ed has acted for the Provincial Government and the Land Title and Survey Authority in the development of amendments to the Land Title Act to facilitate the Electronic Filings System and the Digital Plan System. Ed assisted the BC Real Estate Association in drafting sample legislation, much of which found its way into the Real Estate Services Act.
- Canadian Council for Public & Private Partnerships, Member
- Mortgage Brokers Association of B.C., Member
- National Association of Industrial & Office Properties, Member
- SPA – Strata Property Agents of British Columbia, Associate Member
- Urban Development Institute, Member
Canadian Bar Association
- Municipal Law and Environmental Subsections Member
- Vancouver Real Property Subsection (“VRPS”), Chair; Executive Committee Member; Strata Property Act Committee Member; Standard Form Undertaking Letter Committee Chair; Real Estate Act Amendment Committee Member; Personal Property Security Act Committee Member
- Presentations on a variety of topics including: Standard Form Contract of Purchase and Sale, Property Law Act, Standard Form Undertaking Letter, Title Insurance, and Electronic Filing
- VRPS Title Insurance Committee, Chair
- CBA Representative on BC Real Estate Association’s Standard Form Committee
- Land Title and Survey Authority Electronic Filing Committee, CBA Representative
Law Society of BC
- Retained by the Law Society to advise on real estate fraud prevention measures
- Retained by the Law Society and Lawyer’s Insurance Fund to advise on complaints against members and insurance claims in the real estate field
- Law Society of B.C. Task Force on Lawyers Selling Real Estate – 2003 – 2004, Member
- Law Society of B.C. Conveyancing Practices Task Force – 2002, Member
Continuing Legal Education of British Columbia
Ed is the CLEBC’s leading volunteer having chaired more than 10 courses and written over 30 publications on such topics as: Strata Property Act, Real Estate Development, Commercial Condominium By-laws, Property Transfer Tax, Financing Urban Growth, Easements, Resort Developments and Hotel Properties, Electronic Filing, Liability Issues for Strata Agents and more.
- Take a Hike Youth at Risk Society, Board Member
- Medallion Housing Society, Board Member
- Vancouver Curling Club, Former Board Member
Recognitions & Rankings
Recognitions & Rankings
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2009-2021: recognized in Municipal Law (2018), and Real Estate Law (2009)
- Chambers Canada 2021: recognized for Real Estate - British Columbia (Band 2)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory: consistently recommended as a Leading Practitioner for Property Development
- The Continuing Legal Education Society of BC: 2007 BC Leaders in Learning Award
- Martindale-Hubbell International Law Directory: AV Peer Review rated
Ed has particular expertise with respect to the unique land issues which arise in relation to the acquisition of and on-going access to linear projects. Ed’s recent representative experience includes:
- Providing BC Hydro with legal assistance in connection with the strategic acquisition of Statutory Right of Way interests over private property for the purposes of the Dawson Creek/ Chetwynd Area Transmission (DCAT) project.
- Acting for one of Canada’s major pipeline companies with respect major natural gas transmission projects
- Advising on obtaining rights to use provincial Crown land for an LNG terminal in the Douglas Channel Energy Partnership in the development and permitting of their LNG project in Douglas Channel, including issues relating to the City of Kitimat’s land use controls.
- Providing another project proponent with legal assistance in connection with the strategic acquisition of Statutory Right of Way interests over crown land and private property for the purposes of a proposed linear project having its terminus in Kitimat.
- Providing a mining corporation with legal assistance in connection with the procurement and/or acquisition of various land tenures over crown land and private property for the purposes of various linear infrastructure components serving the project (including roads and electrical transmission lines).
- Negotiated long term ground leases and development agreements with Port Metro Vancouver on behalf of warehousing and logistics firms, cement and aggregate terminal operators, and grain terminal operators.
- Familiar with B.C. expropriation procedures and have assisted numerous clients in such matters.
- Assisted clients on other projects requiring various form of crown tenures (licenses, work permits, leases, rights of way) or interests in private lands (such as option to purchase, purchase agreements, lease etc.).
News & Publications
News & Publications
- 58 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 34 Practice Areas in the Best Lawyers in Canada® 2021 , Best Lawyers in Canada® 2021 Edition, August 27, 2020
- Ed Wilson Interviewed by Canadian Lawyer Magazine About New Real Estate Legislation, Canadian Lawyer, February 19, 2020
- 34 Lawson Lundell Lawyers recognized across 17 practice areas in Chambers Canada 2020, Chambers Canada, 2020 Edition, September 19, 2019
- 53 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 32 Practice Areas in The Best Lawyers in Canada® 2020, The Best Lawyers in Canada® 2020 Edition, August 21, 2019
- 29 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Ranked Across 19 Practice Areas in 2019 Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory, © Thomson Reuters Canada Limited, Lexpert Directory 2019, April 18, 2019
- Ed Wilson quoted in Business In Vancouver article, Business In Vancouver, December 12, 2018
- 31 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Ranked in Chambers Canada 2019, Chambers Canada , 2019 Edition, September 21, 2018
- 50 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 33 Practice Areas in The Best Lawyers in Canada® 2019, The Best Lawyers in Canada® , 13th Edition, August 21, 2018
- Information About Our Experience with Strata Corporation Wind Ups, Annual, to date
- 30 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Ranked in Chambers Canada 2018, Chambers & Partners, September 28, 2017
- Vancouver Introduces Empty Homes Tax, July 11, 2017
- Peter Tolensky and Edward Wilson Contribute Chambers Canada’s Real Estate BC Overview, Chambers Canada, 2016
- Ed Wilson quoted in the Canadian Lawyer Magazine article, "B.C. restricts contract assignments", August 2016, Interview
- Ed Wilson acknowledged in the Advocate, The Advocate, May 2016
- "New Restrictions on Assignments of Contracts of Purchase and Sale", The Canadian Bar Association, May 16, 2016, Author
- Bill 17 Has Implications for Mortgage Brokers, Summer 2014
- Bare Trusts and Multifamily Rental Housing, February 1, 2013
- "Strata Property Act - Depreciation Reports", November 30, 2012, Author
- Ed Wilson quoted in Western Investor, "Depreciation reports will “shock” some condo owners", October 4, 2012, Interview
- Ed Wilson quoted in Business in Vancouver, "Tough Love for Stratas", February 14, 2012, Interview
- BC Real Estate Development Practice Manual, BC Continuing Legal Education Society, 1994 to the Present, Member Editorial Board and Contributor
- Due Diligence Deskbook, BC Continuing Legal Education Society, 1995 to Present, Contributor
- Practical Tips for Tough Economic Times, May 20, 2009
- Advance Real Property Issues Course Chair and Lecturer, BC Continuing Legal Education Society, 2008
- Commercial Condominium Bylaws, BC Continuing Legal Education Society, 2008, Lecturer
- Property Transfer Tax, BC Continuing Legal Education Society, 2008, Lecturer
- Financing Urban Growth: Public Fees and Exactions, BC Continuing Legal Education Society, 2008
- Advance Real Property Issues, 2007, Course Chair and Lecturer
- Fundamentals of Strata Property Law, BC Continuing Legal Education Society, 2007, Course Lecturer
- Easements in lieu of Subdivision, September 30, 2006
- Real Estate Development: Resort and Hotel Properties, September 3, 2006
- Resort Development, Development, Resort and Hotel Properties, BC Continuing Legal Education Society, June 2005, Course Chair
- Real Estate Development, BC Continuing Legal Education Society, May 2005, Course Chair and Lecturer
- Shaping the Future of Conveyancing, September 20, 2004
- Land Title Office – Electronic Filing System – The Statutory Framework CLE, BC Continuing Legal Education Society, March and September 2004, Course Co-Chair and Lecturer
- Lorman Education: Easements in Lieu of Leasehold Subdivisions, April 2004 and 2005
- Land Title Transfer Guide Book - Practice Manual, BC Continuing Legal Education Society, 2003 – 2004, Member Editorial Board
- Conveyancing for Lawyers – The Standard Contract of Purchase and Sale and the CBA Standard Undertakings, BC Continuing Legal Education Society, November 2003
- Strata Property Agents - Liability Issues, April 11, 2002
- The Strata Property Act – 2002 Update, BC Continuing Legal Education Society, April 2002, Course Author/Lecturer
- Strata Property Agents Association of BC: Liability Issues for Strata Agents, March 2001
- The Strata Property Act May, BC Continuing Legal Education Society, 2000
- Urban Development Institute: The Strata Property Act: How is it Working, September 2000
- Pacific Business and Law Institute: Working Under The Strata Property Act, The Strata Manager’s Perspective, June 2000
- The Strata Property Act: Issues for Strata Property Agents, BC Continuing Legal Education Society, June 8, 2000
- Urban Development Institute: The New Strata Property Act, (Vancouver, Kelowna and Victoria), May/June 2000
- Law Seminars International: Dealing with Liability Associated with Contaminated Property, May 2000
- The Strata Property Act: Lender's Issues, BC Continuing Legal Education Society, May 11, 2000
- Strata Property Agents of B.C.: The New Strata Property Act, May 2000
- Strata Property Agents - Liability Issues, BC Continuing Legal Education Society
- Prior to 2000 a number of publications on real estate and other commercial issues, BC Continuing Legal Education Society
- B.C.’s New Beneficial Ownership Registry – FAQs, Real Estate Law Blog, October 19, 2020
- BC省的《土地所有者透明度法案》将于11月30日生效——你准备好了吗? , 新闻中心 , September 25, 2020
- B.C.’s Land Owner Transparency Act Comes Into Force November 30th - Are You Ready?, Real Estate Law Blog, September 24, 2020
- Developing Land in B.C.? How the Province’s Proposed Land Owner Transparency Act May Impact You, Real Estate Law Blog, January 9, 2020
- 在BC省开发土地？ BC省拟议的《土地所有者透明度法案》可能如何影响您 , 新闻中心 , December 18, 2019
- Strata Wind-Up Process May Commence with a Simple Majority Vote, Real Estate Law Blog, July 22, 2019
- 关于投机和空置税，开发商需要了解什么？, 新闻中心 , March 26, 2019
- What Developers Need to Know About the Speculation and Vacancy Tax, Real Estate Law Blog, March 22, 2019
- The B.C. Court of Appeal Weighs in on Strata Wind-Ups, Real Estate Law Blog, July 11, 2018
- The B.C. Court of Appeal Weighs in on Strata Wind-Ups, Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Blog, July 11, 2018
- 《“业主透明法案”白皮书》的内容摘要, 新闻中心 , June 30, 2018
- 关于预售公寓买卖合同转让的新条例, 新闻中心 , May 1, 2018
- New Rules re: Assignments of Pre-Sale Condominium Contracts of Purchase and Sale, Real Estate Law Blog, April 30, 2018
- 温哥华房屋空置税细则解读（一）, 新闻中心 , July 12, 2017
- Vancouver Introduces Empty Homes Tax, Real Estate Law Blog, July 11, 2017
- Digging Deeper into the New Foreign Entity Tax, Real Estate Law Blog, July 27, 2016
- The Report of the Independent Advisory Group on the Real Estate Industry in BC, Real Estate Law Blog, July 11, 2016
- New Restrictions on Assignments of Contracts of Purchase and Sale, Real Estate Law Blog, May 10, 2016
- Smoking Bylaw in Strata Developments, Real Estate Law Blog, February 4, 2016
- Guide and Service Dogs and Strata Corporations, Real Estate Law Blog, December 17, 2015
- Proposed Amendment to the Strata Property Act: Terminating a Strata Corporation, Real Estate Law Blog, October 9, 2015
- Medical Marijuana: Farm Use under the Agricultural Land Commission Act, Real Estate Law Blog, June 17, 2015
- Guide Dog and Service Dog Act, Real Estate Law Blog, April 27, 2015
- Amendments to the Local Government Act, Real Estate Law Blog, December 3, 2014
- 2014 Amendments to Real Estate Development Marketing Act (REDMA), Real Estate Law Blog, October 28, 2014
- "Strata Depreciation Reports", Real Estate Advanced Topics, September 14, 2012, Speaker
- “Protecting Your Turf: How Landlords and Tenants can Protect their Financial Interests under Commercial Leases in Challenging Economic Times”, Practical Tips for Tough Economic Times Seminar, Vancouver, BC, May 20, 2009