Estate planning is not just a part of your financial plan. It is a long-term strategy that ensures your wealth is appropriately distributed to people and causes you care about.
To protect you, your loved ones, and your legacy, Lawson Lundell’s Estate Planning & Litigation Group will help you plan and ensure proper administration is in place for your estate. We understand the sensitive aspects and details required for each estate plan to ensure it is legally sound and carries out your wishes in the best possible way.
We assist in:
- Forming family trusts and structuring your business interests in a tax-efficient manner (learn more about family trusts here);
- Preparing wills, powers of attorney, and representation agreements;
- Filing for probate;
- Assisting estate trustees in their duties;
- Post-mortem planning;
- Will or trust interpretation; and
- Jurisdictional issues/ cross-border and international estates.
Estate planning can encompass a variety of practice areas and Lawson Lundell is well positioned to provide the necessary corporate, real estate and tax advice required to create and administer a personalized estate plan that will suit your needs and minimize your tax burden.
However, even the best estate plans can be challenged and these disputes are increasingly common and, often times, emotionally charged. Our experienced litigators can assist you in navigating through these highly sensitive and complex issues, including:
- Challenges to the validity of wills, trusts or powers of attorney;
- Claims arising in the administration of estates and trusts;
- dependant support relief claims;
- Claims against executors, trustees and attorneys for breach of trust;
- Applications to the courts for advice and direction;
- Proceedings to appoint, remove or replace trustees and guardians;
- Applications to vary trusts and wills;
- The passing of accounts of executors, trustees and attorneys; and
- Matters involving charities.
News & Publications
- Lexpert Magazine, 8.9.21