The annual Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory, published since 1997, is based on an extensive annual peer survey process. The lawyers named in the Directory are acknowledged as leaders in their respective fields, lawyers prominent in their practice areas and professional organisations, and lawyers otherwise enjoying significant recognition from their colleagues.
- Lawson Lundell is recognised as a leading firm in the following areas: Aboriginal Law (Calgary and Vancouver), Banking & Financial Institutions (Vancouver), Corporate Commercial Law (Kelowna and Vancouver), Corporate Finance & Securities (Vancouver), Corporate Tax (Vancouver), Energy: Electricity (Vancouver), Energy: Oil & Gas (Vancouver), Environmental Law (Calgary and Vancouver), Forestry Law (Vancouver), Litigation: Corporate Commercial (Calgary and Vancouver), Mergers & Acquisitions (Vancouver), Mining (Vancouver), Pensions & Employee Benefits (Vancouver), Property Development (Vancouver), Property Leasing (Calgary and Vancouver), and Technology Transactions (Vancouver)
- Our lawyers are recognised in the areas of: Aboriginal Law, Asset-Based Lending, Banking & Financial Institutions, Corporate Commercial Law, Corporate Mid-Market, Corporate Tax, Employment Law, Energy (Electricity), Energy (Oil & Gas), Environmental Law, Forestry Law, Insolvency & Financial Restructuring, Labour Relations, Litigation - Corporate Commercial, Litigation - Defamation & Media, Litigation - Regulatory & Public Law, Mergers & Acquisitions, Mining, Pensions & Employee Benefits, Private Equity, Property Development, Property Leasing, and Technology Transactions
- 41 lawyers recognised
Chambers Global ranks the leading law firm and lawyers worldwide, covering over 190 countries across the world and also includes Region-wide and Global-wide sections.
- Lawson Lundell has four recognised practice groups: Aboriginal Law (Band 1), Energy: Oil & Gas (Band 3), Energy: Power (Band 3), and Environment (Band 3)
- 14 lawyers are recognised across Aboriginal, Dispute Resolution: Litigation, Energy: Oil & Gas (Transactional), Energy: Power (Regulatory), Environment, and Mining (International & Cross-Border)
Chambers Canada ranks the leading law firms and lawyers in all provinces and territories in Canada.
- Lawson Lundell's lawyers are recognised for: Aboriginal (Nationwide - Canada), Agribusiness: Forestry (Nationwide - Canada), Corporate/Commercial (British Columbia), Employment & Labour (British Columbia), Energy & Natural Resources: Mining (Nationwide - Canada), Energy & Natural Resources: Mining: Development and Operations (Nationwide - Canada), Energy: Oil & Gas (Transactional) (Nationwide - Canada), Energy: Power (Regulatory) (Nationwide - Canada), Environment (Nationwide - Canada), General Business Law (Northern Canada and Arctic), Litigation: General Commercial (British Columbia), Litigation: General Commercial (Alberta), Pensions & Benefits (Nationwide - Canada), Real Estate (Alberta), Real Estate (British Columbia), Restructuring/Insolvency (Nationwide - Canada),
and Tax (Nationwide - Canada).
- 43 lawyers recognised
- 13 practice areas recognised
Benchmark Canada focuses exclusively on litigation in Canada. Their rankings and editorials are divided on a provincial basis. The guide's results are the culmination of a four-month research period that allows researchers to conduct extensive interviews with litigators and their clients.
- 28 lawyers recognised in 2023 - 21 Litigation Stars and seven Future Stars
- Lawson Lundell is recommended for litigation in the following areas: Commercial Litigation, Corporate and Securities, Class Actions, Administrative, Constitutional and Public Law, Indigenous and Environmental Law, Public Utility and Regulatory, Labour, Employment & Human Rights, Pension and Employee Benefits, Real Estate and Construction, Insolvency and Restructuring, Defamation and Media, Privacy & Data Management, and Estate Litigation.
- Craig A.B. Ferris, KC, FCIArb. and Grant Vogeli, KC recognised by Benchmark Litigation on their list of the Top 50 Trial Lawyers in Canada for 2020-2022
- Tamela Coates, KC, FCIArb., Shannon Hayes, Amy Nathanson, Nicole Skuggedal, Marika Strobl and Shannon Wray recognised by Benchmark Litigation on their list of the Top 100 Women in Litigation in Canada for 2022
- Tamela J. Coates, KC, FCIArb. recognised by Benchmark Litigation on their list of the Top 50 Women in Litigation in Canada for 2020 and 2021
- Lawson Lundell named "Alberta Law Firm of the Year" at Benchmark Canada® 2019 Awards
- Lawson Lundell named "Aboriginal Law Firm of the Year" at Benchmark Canada® 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 Awards
- Keith Bergner named Aboriginal Law Litigator of the Year at the Benchmark Litigation Canada Awards 2013, 2014, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022.
- Grant Vogeli, KC named Alberta Litigator of the Year at the Benchmark Litigation Canada Awards 2020 and 2021.
- Laura Bevan, Lauren Cook and Jonathan Selnes recognised by Benchmark Litigation on their 40 & Under Hot List for 2022.
- Lawson Lundell awarded an Impact Case Award in 2021 for Bell Canada Inc., Rogers Communications Canada Inc., Shaw Communications Inc., and TELUS Communications Inc. v. the City of Calgary – Lead Counsel: Tamela Coates, KC, FCIArb. and Ricki-Lee Gerbrandt
- Lawson Lundell awarded an Impact Case Award in 2020 for TransAlta Generation Partnership v Balancing Pool – Lead Counsel: Mike Donaldson, Toby Kruger and Michelle Casey
- Lawson Lundell named Energy/Resource Litigation Firm of the Year at the Benchmark Litigation Canada Awards 2015
- Lawson Lundell named British Columbia Firm of the Year in Litigation at the Benchmark Litigation Canada Awards 2014
- Lawson Lundell named Energy/Resource Litigation Firm of the Year at the Benchmark Litigation Canada Awards 2013
The Best Lawyers in Canada® compiles lists of outstanding lawyers by conducting peer-review surveys in which thousands of leading lawyers confidentially evaluate their professional peers. A listing in Best Lawyers® is widely regarded within the legal profession as a signal honor, conferred on a lawyer by his or her peers.
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2022 and 2023: Law Firm of the Year in Environmental Law.
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2021: Law Firm of the Year in Aboriginal Law, and Mining Law.
- In British Columbia, we are top-listed in 2023 for Employee Benefits Law, and Natural Resources Law.
- In Vancouver, we are top-listed in 2023 for Employee Benefits Law, and Natural Resources Law.
- 70 of our lawyers are recognised in 37 practice areas.
- Our lawyers are recognised in the areas of: Aboriginal Law / Indigenous Practice, Administrative and Public Law, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Appellate Practice, Asset-Based Lending Practice, Banking and Finance Law, Class Action Litigation, Construction Law, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Corporate Governance Practice, Corporate Law, Defamation and Media Law, Director and Officer Liability Practice, Employee Benefits Law, Energy Law, Energy Regulatory Law, Environmental Law, Family Law, Information Technology Law, Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law, Labour and Employment Law, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Mining Law, Municipal Law, Natural Resources Law, Oil and Gas Law, Personal Injury Litigation, Privacy and Data Security Law, Private Funds Law, Product Liability Law, Project Finance Law, Public Finance Law, Real Estate Law, Securities Law, Tax Law, and Technology Law.
Since 1996 Who's Who Legal has identified the foremost legal practitioners in 30 areas of business law. In total, they feature over 9,000 of the World’s leading private practice lawyers from over 100 national jurisdictions.
- Who's Who Legal Canada recommends Lawson Lundell for Banking, Corporate Tax, Mining, Energy, Environmental, and Labour, Employment & Benefits
- 13 lawyers recognised
Published for over twenty years, the Legal 500 Series provides comprehensive worldwide coverage on legal services providers in over 150 countries. It is used by commercial and private clients, corporate counsel, CEOs, CFOs and professional advisers - as well as by other referrers of work both nationally and internationally.
- Lawson Lundell has been recommended in the following 12 practice areas: Corporate & M&A – Tier 4, Dispute resolution: Alberta – Tier 3, Dispute Resolution: BC – Tier 2, Energy & Natural Resources: Mining – Tier 2, Energy & Natural Resources: Oil & Gas – Tier 4, Energy & Natural Resources: Power – Tier 3, Environment – Tier 3, Indigenous Law – Tier 2, Labour & Employment – Tier 3, Pensions – Tier 2, Real Estate – Tier 4, and Tax – Tier 4
- 14 lawyers recognised for their experience across nine practice areas: Corporate & M&A, Dispute Resolution: Alberta, Dispute Resolution: B.C., Energy & Natural Resources: Mining, Energy & Natural Resources: Power, Environment, Indigenous Law, Labour & Employment, and Pensions
Canadian Lawyer Magazine is Canada’s first and foremost award-winning publication of Canadian law. ‘Canadian Lawyer’ has ranked the top 10 Canadian law firms in their respective regions. The rankings are based on regional service coverage, client base, notable mandates, service excellence, and legal expertise.
- Lawson Lundell is ranked the #1 regional law firm in B.C., Alberta and the North (2010-2016)