Business law is a cornerstone of Lawson Lundell’s practice. We are recognized as one of the leading business law firms in Western and Northern Canada, providing a full range of advice and services to business clients. Within the business law grouping, significant areas of knowledge include commercial law, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and securities, and private equity. We also have experience in a number of areas including construction, corporate governance, franchising, fund formation and administration and public-private partnerships, as well as in the related areas of banking and debt financing, insolvency, pensions and tax.
Day-to-day business operations depend on effective contracts, adequate systems for management of legal risk and compliance with multiple regulatory requirements. Lawson Lundell’s Corporate Commercial Group identifies the potential risks clients face and helps them address them appropriately. We look at the big picture and give advice that is focused to the client’s particular situation and on solving their problems.
We work closely with large and small businesses based in B.C. (public and owner-operated) and branch plants of domestic and global companies. We have strong regional knowledge of western and northern Canada and know our local markets and industry stakeholders.
Clients benefit from:
- Relationship – Our experience proves that personal relationships foster regular communication, a better understanding of the client’s business and aims, and a sense of trust.
- Responsiveness – Clients receive prompt service, straightforward advice, and solutions that suit their particular situation, based on their unique risks and opportunities.
- Cost-effective service – Our preventative approach and efficient work style protect the client’s bottom line.
We advise businesses across a range of regional, national and international economic sectors, including communications, construction, distribution, energy, finance, franchising, manufacturing, media and entertainment, natural resources, professional services, retailing, technology, and transportation.
Our commercial law services include:
- Entity formation, including shareholder and partnership agreements
- Customer, supplier, distributor and franchise arrangements
- Financing arrangements
- Transportation arrangements
- Management arrangements
- Dispute resolution
We serve clients across most industry sectors. Visit our Industries page to see our services offered to particular industries. Other industries with which we have extensive experience include aviation, communications, manufacturing, retailing, and transportation, including railway and operations.
A depth of experience working for all types of business organizations, local, national and international, has equipped us well to help clients deal with the ever changing landscape they face.
Recognitions & Rankings
Recognitions & Rankings
- Chambers Canada recognizes Lawson Lundell for Corporate/Commercial Law: The Elite (British Columbia)
- Best Lawyers in Canada recognizes Lawson Lundell as a leading firm in Corporate Commercial law and Corporate law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory recognizes Lawson Lundell as a leading firm in Corporate Commercial Law
News & Publications
- Mogo and Postmedia Announce Strategic Marketing Collaboration with a Minimum of $50,000,000 of Media Value over Three Years25.1.16
- Valerie Mann featured in Business in Vancouver, "Ask the experts: What do I need to know when going through a merger or acquisition?"1.1.13
- Business in Vancouver publishes Mark Fancourt-Smith's article, "Why startups need to start by protecting their company"13.11.12
- Business in Vancouver, 13.11.12
- Spring 2012
- (as referred to on the B.C. Law Society website – Insurance, Specific Practice Risks), 11.8.11
- Canadian Corporate Secretary's Guide, CCH Canadian Ltd., 17.6.11
- Fairmont Pacific Rim | 1038 Canada Place, Vancouver, BC, 7.3.23
- Webinar, 9.3.22
- The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, 11.3.20
- Hyatt Regency Calgary | 700 Centre Street SE, Calgary AB, 30.5.19
- Online, 28.1.15
- Business Law Blog, 8.4.22
- Business Law Blog, 17.1.22
- Creditors, the Crown, and the CCAA: The Supreme Court of Canada Comments on Complex Commercial ReorganizationsBusiness Law Blog, 5.10.21
- 新闻中心 , 11.8.21
- Business Law Blog, 1.6.21
- 新闻中心 , 26.5.20
- 新闻中心 , 20.5.20
- 新闻中心 , 24.4.20
- Business Law Blog, 23.4.20
- 新闻中心 , 9.4.20
- Business Law Blog, 7.8.19
- Business Law Blog, 19.6.19
- 新闻中心 , 12.6.19
- Business Law Blog, 10.6.19
- Business Law Blog, 5.6.19
- Business Law Blog, 15.4.19
- Yukon Court Awards Premium in Fair Value Determination - A Comment on Carlock v. ExxonMobil Canada Holdings ULCBusiness Law Blog, 14.3.19
- Business Law Blog, 15.2.19
- 新闻中心 , 12.2.19
- Business Law Blog, 8.2.19
- 新闻中心 , 5.2.19
- Business Law Blog, 30.1.19