Stuart Breen boasts a superb reputation for his vast experience in handling an array of complex corporate and commercial matters for high-profile mining clients.
- Who's Who Legal Mining 2017
Stuart is the head of the Corporate Finance and Securities Group at Lawson Lundell. His practice focuses on corporate and commercial law, with an emphasis on corporate finance and securities and mergers and acquisitions.
Stuart has acted for domestic and international companies in a wide variety of transactions including equity and debt financings, business combinations, acquisitions and stock exchange listings. He also advises clients on corporate and securities regulatory compliance issues and corporate governance matters.
Stuart has extensive experience acting for clients involved in the mineral exploration, development and mining industry, including advising clients on and completing commercial transactions such as joint ventures, option/earn-ins, royalties, strategic investments and asset acquisitions. He also regularly provides advice on the unique continuous disclosure requirements of companies in the mining industry.
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, Member
- Association for Mineral Exploration British Columbia, Member
- Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada, Member
- UBC Law Alumni Association, Board Member
Recognitions & Rankings
Recognitions & Rankings
- Business in Vancouver’s Forty Under 40 Award (2012): Leading Business Professionals Under 40
- Best Lawyers in Canada: recognized for Mergers & Acquisitions, Mining Law and Securities Law
- Lexpert 2013 Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada: recognized as one of Canada's Corporate Lawyers to Watch
- Lexpert Rising Star Award 2012: recognized as one of Canada's Leading Lawyers under 40
- International Who’s Who of Mining Lawyers 2014 & 2015: recognized as being among the world's leading mining lawyers
- Who's Who Legal Canada: recognized for Mining law
- Advising B2Gold Corp. in the filing of a short form base shelf prospectus with the securities commissions in each of the provinces of Canada and a corresponding shelf registration statement on Form F-10 with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission under the U.S./Canada Multijurisdictional Disclosure System.
- Advising B2Gold Corp. in connection with an at the market offering in Canada and the United States having an aggregate gross offering price of up to US$100,000,000.
- Advising OnCore BioPharma on Canadian matters in its announced merger with Tekmira Pharmaceuticals. Under the announced terms of the merger, valued at $US 750 million, OnCore will merge with a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tekmira and will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tekmira. Upon completion, OnCore shareholders will hold approximately 50% of the total number of outstanding shares of Tekmira on a fully-diluted, as converted basis.
- Advising Catalyst Paper Corporation in its acquisition of the Biron paper mill located in Wisconsin and the Rumford pulp and paper mill located in Maine, USA from NewPage Corporation, NewPage Wisconsin System Inc., and Rumford Paper Company for a purchase price of US$74 million together with the associated acquisition financing and related increase in Catalyst’s ABL Credit Facility from CDN$175 million to CDN$225 million and US$25million (principal amount) offering of PIK Toggle Senior Secured Notes .
- Advising Aura Minerals Inc. in obtaining a US$15.5 million gold loan from Auramet International LLC, a subsidiary of Auramet Trading LLC.
- Acting for the special committee of Dunav Resources Ltd. in connection with its merger with Avala Resources Ltd. The merger was completed by way of a plan of arrangement under the British Columbia Business Corporations Act.
- British Columbia counsel for a biopharmaceutical company in connection with its proposed merger with a Canadian-based biotechnical company in a deal valued at US$850 million.
- Advising Sabina Gold & Silver Corp. in the sale of its Newman-Madsen property to Laurentian Goldfields Ltd. for 6.5 million shares in Laurentian.
- Advising Profire Energy, Inc. in acquiring the assets of VIM Injection Management, Inc.
- Advising Aura Minerals Inc. in obtaining a US$22.5 million gold loan from Auramet International LLC, a subsidiary of Auramet Trading LLC, the proceeds of which were used to settle outstanding debt obligations.
- British Columbia counsel for a clean energy company in its US$240 million sale to a consortium of investors.
News & Publications
News & Publications
- Acritas Recognises Lawson Lundell Professionals as "Star Lawyers" , Acritas Stars, March 19, 2019
- 50 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 33 Practice Areas in The Best Lawyers in Canada® 2019, The Best Lawyers in Canada® , 13th Edition, August 21, 2018
- Stuart Breen, Chat Ortved and Michael Li featured in The Northern Miner , The Northern Miner, MARCH 5-18, 2018 / VOL. 104 ISSUE 5, March 6, 2018, Co-Author
- Matters to Consider for the 2018 Annual General Meeting and Proxy Season, January 30, 2018
- Stuart Breen quoted in the National Post article, "Stock prices fuel Canadian acquisitions", National Post, September 29, 2016, Interview
- BC mining firms get creative to raise capital, Vancouver Sun, May 9, 2015, Interview
- The importance of tying executive compensation to performance, The Northern Miner, March 23, 2015, Co-Author
- The pros and cons of private equity investment, The Northern Miner, March 2, 2015, Co-author
- Streaming transactions are filling the financing gap and raising confidence in rough mining sector, Lexpert, November 2014, Interview
- Mining report: Mining companies need to do a better job of preparing for AGMs, Business in Vancouver, March 17, 2014, Co-author
- Matters To Consider For The 2019 Annual Meeting And Proxy Season, Business Law Blog, February 2019
- CSA Announces Proposed National Instrument Governing Disclosure of Non-GAAP and Other Financial Measures , Business Law Blog, September 10, 2018
- Gender Diversity and Overboarding Dominate ISS’s 2018 Proxy Guideline Updates, Business Law Blog, November 21, 2017
- “The Role of Junior Mining in Today’s Market and Challenges Ahead”, Special Institute on International Mining and Oil & Gas Law, Development and Investment, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation/ International Bar Association, Cartagena de Indias, Col, April 21, 2015, Speaker
- Christina Bartos
- Legal Assistant
- T: 604.408.5323
- British Columbia (2001)
University of British Columbia, B.A. (1995)
University of British Columbia, LL.B. (2000)