Maxwell is a partner in the Real Estate Group at Lawson Lundell and advises clients on all aspects of the commercial real estate and development industry, including the acquisition, disposition, financing, rezoning, subdivision, development, redevelopment and leasing of real property.
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Law Society of Alberta, Member
- Canada Bar Association - Vancouver Real Property Subsection, Executive Committee Member (Co-Chair), 2015 - 2017
- Urban Development Institute, Member
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties, Member
- British Columbia Due Diligence Deskbook, Contributing Author
Maxwell has a personal interest in sustainable architecture and community development and during law school worked as a contractor on several green developments in the greater Edmonton area. His spare time is spent exploring the natural beauty surrounding Vancouver and the cultural diversity within its boundaries.
- Assisting clients with the acquisition and disposition of commercial and industrial investment properties.
- Advising clients in a variety of general corporate and commercial matters, including the acquisition of businesses, preparation and negotiation of shareholder's agreements and limited partnership agreements.
- Acting as lead leasing counsel to a large Canadian Real Estate Investment Trust in respect to its portfolio of properties in Western Canada and in the lease preparation and negotiation of approximately 100 distinct leasing matters.
- Acting for a BC-based developer in respect to various residential and mixed-use developments, advising on the organization and formation of various development entities, rezoning and municipal matters, financing, pre-sale purchaser documentation in compliance with the Real Estate Development Marketing Act, and conveyance of completed strata lots to individual purchasers.
- Advising a manufacturer of electronic speed controllers for application in electric and hybrid vehicles, in its acquisition of a leader in battery charging solutions for electric vehicles and industrial machines.
- Acting for a seniors housing trust with respect to various acquisitions of retirement homes in BC.
- Acting for a group of investors with structuring a limited partnership and general partner and their acquisition of a student housing complex from receivership in Edmonton, Alberta.
- Acting for a large development, investment, and management company in respect of their Western Canada operations and assisting with due diligence, corporate structuring and formation, financing and closing in their acquisition of the Ironwood Profession Building.
News & Publications
News & Publications
- Chapter 21: Municipal Property Taxation Searches (update), CLEBC British Columbia Due Diligence Deskbook, 2017, Author
- New pre-sale disclosure requirements and other changes to Alberta’s Condominium Property Act, Real Estate Law Blog, March 6, 2018
- Recent Changes to Alberta's Guarantees Acknowledgment Act, Real Estate Law Blog, May 25, 2015
- Jamie Toor
- Legal Assistant
- T: 604.408.5453
- British Columbia (2010)
- Alberta (2017)
University of Alberta (B.Sc. (Electrical Engineering), 2005)
University of Alberta (LL.B., 2009)