Maxwell practices real estate law in British Columbia and Alberta with a focus on commercial leasing, acquisition and mixed-use development.
Maxwell has an extensive commercial leasing practice which is focused on representation of institutional and privately owned landlords and representation of tenants leasing large industrial or office premises. He regularly prepares standard form leases for his landlord clients and ensures consistency of final lease documentation across their portfolio. In particular, Maxwell has been lead Western Canadian leasing counsel for a large institutional landlord and has overseen the lease preparation and negotiation of over 250 distinct leasing matters.
Maxwell has been lead counsel on numerous acquisitions and sales of income producing assets and development properties. His client’s rely on Maxwell’s experience in their negotiations of purchase agreements, due diligence, structuring, financing and closing. Maxwell has also helped numerous owners of environmentally challenged sites sell their land while limiting potential liability resulting from existing contamination.
Working closely with his developer clients, Maxwell supports the full life-cycle of complex real estate development; from feasibility, syndication and acquisition through to development approvals, marketing and sale of development units to end purchasers. His extensive experience includes projects ranging from boutique developments to large master-planned communities with multiple towers. Maxwell’s developer clients include local family owned companies and publicly traded real estate investment trusts.
Private investors in the real estate market frequently engage Maxwell to review shareholder agreements, limited partnership documentation, joint venture agreements and confirm the underlying real estate fundamentals of potential investments in the Lower Mainland.
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Law Society of Alberta, Member
- Canada Bar Association - Vancouver Real Property Subsection, Executive Committee Member (Co-Chair), 2015 - 2017
- Urban Development Institute, Member
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties, Member
- British Columbia Due Diligence Deskbook, Contributing Author, 2012-Present
Recognitions & Rankings
Recognitions & Rankings
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2023: recommended as a leading practitioner for Property Development and Property Leasing
- Chambers Canada 2023: recognized for Real Estate - British Columbia (Up & Coming)
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2019-2023: recognized in Real Estate Law
- Lexpert Rising Star Award 2020: recognized as one of Canada's Leading Lawyers under 40
- Acritas Stars 2019-2021
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2021: recommended as a leading practitioner for Property Leasing
- Acting for the purchaser in an acquisition of a rental and office complex in Vancouver, BC for a purchase price of $130,000,000.
- Acting for the seller of an industrial property in East Vancouver in a sale and leaseback transaction at a sale price of $57,500,000.
- Assisting clients with the acquisition and disposition of commercial and industrial investment properties.
- Advising clients in a variety of general corporate and commercial matters, including the acquisition of businesses, preparation and negotiation of shareholder's agreements and limited partnership agreements.
- Acting as lead leasing counsel to a large Canadian Real Estate Investment Trust in respect to its portfolio of properties in Western Canada and in the lease preparation and negotiation of approximately 100 distinct leasing matters.
- Acting for a BC-based developer in respect to various residential and mixed-use developments, advising on the organization and formation of various development entities, rezoning and municipal matters, financing, pre-sale purchaser documentation in compliance with the Real Estate Development Marketing Act, and conveyance of completed strata lots to individual purchasers.
- Acting for a seniors housing trust with respect to various acquisitions of retirement homes in BC.
- Acting for a group of investors with structuring a limited partnership and general partner and their acquisition of a student housing complex from receivership in Edmonton, Alberta.
News & Publications
News & Publications
- 41 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Ranked Across 24 Practice Areas in 2023 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, March 1, 2023
- 43 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 17 Practice Areas in Chambers Canada 2023, Chambers Canada, September 29, 2022
- 70 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 37 Practice Areas in the Best Lawyers in Canada 2023 , Best Lawyers in Canada, August 25, 2022
- 40 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Ranked Across 25 Practice Areas in 2022 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, February 25, 2022
- 66 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 36 Practice Areas in the Best Lawyers in Canada® 2022 , Best Lawyers in Canada, August 26, 2021
- Acritas Recognises 19 Lawson Lundell Professionals as "Star Lawyers", Acritas Stars, March 8, 2021
- Max Carroll Named a 2020 Lexpert Rising Star, Lexpert Magazine, November 16, 2020
- 58 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 34 Practice Areas in the Best Lawyers in Canada® 2021 , Best Lawyers in Canada® 2021 Edition, August 27, 2020
- Acritas Recognises Lawson Lundell Professionals as "Star Lawyers" , Acritas Stars, April 17, 2020
- 53 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 32 Practice Areas in The Best Lawyers in Canada® 2020, The Best Lawyers in Canada® 2020 Edition, August 21, 2019
- Maxwell Carroll quoted in Canadian Lawyer Magazine, Canadian Lawyer Magazine, June 13, 2019
- Acritas Recognises Lawson Lundell Professionals as "Star Lawyers" , Acritas Stars, March 19, 2019
- 50 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 33 Practice Areas in The Best Lawyers in Canada® 2019, The Best Lawyers in Canada® , 13th Edition, August 21, 2018
- Chapter 21: Municipal Property Taxation Searches (update), CLEBC British Columbia Due Diligence Deskbook, 2017, Author
- B.C. Government Outlines Rent Repayment Framework for Residential Tenancies, Real Estate Law Blog, July 21, 2020
- New Ministerial Order Revises Measures in Place for Residential Landlords & Tenants in British Columbia, Real Estate Law Blog, June 25, 2020
- 不列颠哥伦比亚省新的部长令修改了针对住宅业主和租客的措施 , 新闻中心 , June 25, 2020
- BC Housing Outlines Details for Temporary Rental Supplement Program, Real Estate Law Blog, April 9, 2020
- 部长令详述针对不列颠哥伦比亚省住宅房东和租户的救济措施 , 新闻中心 , April 1, 2020
- Ministerial Order Details Relief Measures for Residential Landlords & Tenants in British Columbia, Real Estate Law Blog, March 31, 2020
- Shelter in Place: BC Government Announces COVID-19 Survival Tools for Residential Landlords and Tenants, Real Estate Law Blog, March 25, 2020
- Budget 2020 Update: Is There Clarity for Limited Partnerships and Foreign Buyers’ Tax?, Real Estate Law Blog, February 25, 2020
- New pre-sale disclosure requirements and other changes to Alberta’s Condominium Property Act, Real Estate Law Blog, March 6, 2018
- Recent Changes to Alberta's Guarantees Acknowledgment Act, Real Estate Law Blog, May 25, 2015
- 2020 Real Estate Roundtable, Webinar, October 29, 2020, Presenter
- Lawson Lundell Participates in the JDRF's SunLife Ride to Defeat Diabetes, Vancouver, BC, October 4, 2019, Volunteer
- Kimberly Gagnon
- Legal Assistant
- T: 604.408.5345
- British Columbia (2010)
- Alberta (2017)
University of Alberta (B.Sc. (Electrical Engineering), 2005)
University of Alberta (LL.B., 2009)