Further to our previous blog post, BC Housing has released details regarding eligibility and has launched the application process of the recently created BC Temporary Rental Supplement Program.
The program will provide a temporary rental supplement for April, May and June, 2020 and will be paid directly to landlords. The program gives $300 per month for eligible households with no dependents, and $500 per month for eligible households with dependents.
To qualify for the supplement, applicants must:
1. Have a 2019 household income that is less than:
- $74,150 for singles and couples without dependents; or
- $113,040 for households with dependents;
2. As a result of COVID-19:
- be receiving or eligible for Employment Insurance; or
- be receiving or eligible for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit offered by the federal government;
- Have experienced, and be able to provide evidence of, a drop of 25% or more in monthly household employment income;
3. Be paying more than 30% of current household income towards rent; and
4. Be renting a primary residence in British Columbia.
Notably, tenants are not eligible for the supplement if their rent is subsidized by any other government program.
The Application Process
To begin the process, tenants must submit an application and will be required to provide the following information:
- proof of address;
- proof of monthly rent amount;
- their landlord’s details and information, including email address; and
- for every household member who is over the age of 19:
- proof of 2019 income, and
- proof of 2020 income loss related to COVID 19, and current income.
After a tenant application has been reviewed and assessed as eligible, an email will be sent to the tenant’s landlord asking them to complete the application process and confirm the details provided by the tenant.
Our Real Estate Law Blog provides brief commentary on current legal trends and developments affecting your business. The topics addressed in Lawson Lundell’s Real Estate Law Blog are of interest to commercial real estate developers, real estate and strata agents, investors, landlords and tenants, as well as a variety of industry groups.
Legal Disclaimer: The information made available on this webpage is for information purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on as such. Please contact our firm if you need legal advice or have questions about the content of this webpage.