Michael practices corporate and securities law and has experience acting for public and private companies, financial institutions and private equity funds on a broad range of legal transactions, including Canadian and U.S. capital markets financings, mergers and acquisitions, including plans of arrangement, going-private and spin-out transactions, and joint ventures and shareholders agreements.
Michael also regularly advises clients on corporate governance and securities regulatory matters, including shareholder meeting processes, securities legislation and compliance with stock exchange listing rules.
Prior to joining Lawson Lundell, Michael practiced at a leading national law firm in Vancouver and at the Hong Kong office of a leading offshore international law firm.
- Acted for B2Gold in connection with its acquisition of Oklo Resources Limited, an ASX-listed corporation and holder of the Dandoko Gold Project located in Mali, by way of a court-approved scheme of arrangement under Australian law. Under the scheme, B2Gold acquired 100% of the ordinary shares of Oklo in consideration for 0.0206 of a common share of B2Gold and A$0.0525 in cash for each Oklo share. On closing, B2Gold issued an aggregate of 10,742,814 B2Gold shares and paid aggregate cash consideration of approximately A$27.4 million to Oklo shareholders.
- Acted for Cornish Metals Inc. in connection with its £40.5 million financing of units by way of private placement, including a strategic investment by Vision Blue Resources Limited.
- Acted for B2Gold Corp. in connection with the sale of its Kiaka gold project in Burkina Faso to West African Resources Limited.
- Acted for Barrick Gold Corporation in connection with the divesture of its interest in the Lagunas Norte mine in Peru to Boroo Pte Ltd (Singapore) for a total consideration of up to US$81 million, plus the assumption by Boroo of Barrick’s closure liability relating to Lagunas Norte of US$226 million backed by an existing US$173 million bonding obligation.
- Acted for Cornish Metals Inc. in connection with its listing on the AIM Market of the London Stock Exchange and concurrent financing of approximately £8.2 million
- Acted for SSR Mining Inc. in connection with its merger-of-equals transaction with Alacer Gold Corp. to create a combined entity with market capitalization of approximately US$5 billion.
- Acted for B2Gold Corp. in connection with the sale of all of its Nicaragua assets to Calibre Mining Corp. for approximately US$100 million.
- Acted for Coeur Mining, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Northern Empire Resources Corp. by way of plan of arrangement.
- Acted for Hudbay Minerals Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Mason Resources Corp. by way of plan of arrangement.
- Acted for Newmont Corporation in connection with its acquisition from NOVAGOLD RESOURCES INC. of 50% interest in the Galore Creek project.
- Acted for Pender Growth Fund Inc. and PenderFund Capital Management Ltd. in connection with their equity investments in issuers listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange and TSX Venture Exchange.
- Acted for Bathurst Resources Limited in connection with its investment in, and right to acquire up to a 50% interest in, the Crown Mountain Coking Coal Project located in British Columbia.
- Transaction counsel for certain portfolio companies of Brookfield in acquisitions in the building services and service station industries.
- Provided M&A and securities laws advice in connection with going-public transactions on the Toronto Stock Exchange and TSX Venture Exchange.
News & Publications
News & Publications
- Matters to Consider for the 2021 Annual General Meeting and Proxy Season, February 9, 2021
- Lawson Lundell Welcomes Four New Partners to the Firm, December 31, 2020
- Matters to Consider for the 2020 Annual General Meeting and Proxy Season, January 27, 2020
- Stuart Breen, Chat Ortved and Michael Li featured in The Northern Miner , The Northern Miner, MARCH 5-18, 2018 / VOL. 104 ISSUE 5, March 6, 2018, Co-Author
- Matters to Consider for the 2018 Annual General Meeting and Proxy Season, January 30, 2018
- Matters to Consider for the 2023 Annual General Meeting and Proxy Season, Business Law Blog, February 13, 2023
- Matters to Consider for the 2022 Annual General Meeting and Proxy Season, Business Law Blog, February 24, 2022
- Amendments to the Business Corporations Act Permit Virtual Meetings in British Columbia, Business Law Blog, June 1, 2021
- Matters to Consider for the 2021 Annual General Meeting and Proxy Season, Business Law Blog, February 9, 2021
- CSA Provides Blanket Relief for Market Participants Due to COVID-19, Business Law Blog, March 24, 2020
- CSA to Provide Blanket Relief for Market Participants Due to COVID-19, Business Law Blog, March 19, 2020
- CSA Releases a Revised Proposed National Instrument Governing Disclosure of Non-GAAP and Other Financial Measures, Business Law Blog, February 27, 2020
- Matters to Consider for the 2020 Annual General Meeting and Proxy Season, Business Law Blog, January 28, 2020
- Matters To Consider For The 2019 Annual Meeting And Proxy Season, Business Law Blog, February 2019
- Lisa Navarrete
- Legal Assistant
- T: 604.408.5427
- British Columbia (2012)
- University of Western Ontario (J.D., 2011)
- King’s College London, United Kingdom (M.A., 2008)
- University of Toronto (B.A. Hon., with High Distinction, 2007)