Michael practices corporate and securities law and has experience acting for public and private companies, financial institutions and private equity funds on a broad range of legal transactions, including Canadian and U.S. capital markets financings, mergers and acquisitions, including plans of arrangement, going-private and spin-out transactions, and joint ventures and shareholders agreements.
Michael also regularly advises clients on corporate governance and securities regulatory matters, including shareholder meeting processes, securities legislation and compliance with stock exchange listing rules.
Prior to joining Lawson Lundell, Michael practiced at a leading national law firm in Vancouver and at the Hong Kong office of a leading offshore international law firm.
- Cornish Metals Inc. in connection with its listing on the AIM Market of the London Stock Exchange and concurrent financing of approximately £8.2 million
- SSR Mining Inc. in connection with its merger-of-equals transaction with Alacer Gold Corp. to create a combined entity with market capitalization of approximately US$5 billion.
- B2Gold Corp. in connection with the sale of all of its Nicaragua assets to Calibre Mining Corp. for approximately US$100 million.
- Coeur Mining, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Northern Empire Resources Corp. by way of plan of arrangement.
- Hudbay Minerals Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Mason Resources Corp. by way of plan of arrangement.
- EHR Resources Ltd. in connection with its option agreement with North Arrow Minerals Inc. for the Naujaat Diamond Project, Nunavut.
- Newmont Corporation in connection with its acquisition from NOVAGOLD RESOURCES INC. of 50% interest in the Galore Creek project.
- Vancity Community Investment Bank in its acquisition of CoPower Inc., an issuer of green bonds.
- Pender Growth Fund Inc. and PenderFund Capital Management Ltd. in connection with their equity investments in issuers listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange and TSX Venture Exchange.
- SSR Mining Inc. in connection with its equity investment in SilverCrest Metals Inc.
- Bathurst Resources Limited in connection with its investment in, and right to acquire up to a 50% interest in, the Crown Mountain Coking Coal Project located in British Columbia.
- Transaction counsel for certain portfolio companies of Brookfield in acquisitions in the building services and service station industries.
- Provided M&A and securities laws advice in connection with going-public transactions on the Toronto Stock Exchange and TSX Venture Exchange.
News & Publications
News & Publications
- Matters to Consider for the 2021 Annual General Meeting and Proxy Season, February 9, 2021
- Lawson Lundell Welcomes Four New Partners to the Firm, December 31, 2020
- Matters to Consider for the 2020 Annual General Meeting and Proxy Season, January 27, 2020
- Stuart Breen, Chat Ortved and Michael Li featured in The Northern Miner , The Northern Miner, MARCH 5-18, 2018 / VOL. 104 ISSUE 5, March 6, 2018, Co-Author
- Matters to Consider for the 2018 Annual General Meeting and Proxy Season, January 30, 2018
- Matters to Consider for the 2021 Annual General Meeting and Proxy Season, Business Law Blog, February 9, 2021
- CSA Provides Blanket Relief for Market Participants Due to COVID-19, Business Law Blog, March 24, 2020
- CSA to Provide Blanket Relief for Market Participants Due to COVID-19, Business Law Blog, March 19, 2020
- CSA Releases a Revised Proposed National Instrument Governing Disclosure of Non-GAAP and Other Financial Measures, Business Law Blog, February 27, 2020
- Matters to Consider for the 2020 Annual General Meeting and Proxy Season, Business Law Blog, January 28, 2020
- Matters To Consider For The 2019 Annual Meeting And Proxy Season, Business Law Blog, February 2019
- Lisa Navarrete
- Legal Assistant
- T: 604.408.5427
- British Columbia (2012)
- University of Western Ontario (J.D., 2011)
- King’s College London, United Kingdom (M.A., 2008)
- University of Toronto (B.A. Hon., with High Distinction, 2007)