Richard Okimaw is a Lawyer and registered Patent and Trademark Agent. Rick draws on his legal acumen and engineering experience to draft and obtain patents in a broad range of technology fields including oil field and downhole tools, construction materials and equipment, software, social media, electronic gaming machines, sporting and medical equipment.
With 15 years of experience in all aspects of intellectual property, Rick has successfully obtained hundreds of patents for his clients in Canada, the United States and around the world. He regularly advises a wide variety of clients from entrepreneurs and multinational companies establish and protect their technology.
His mechanical engineering experience gives him a keen insight into the technological needs and challenges of his clients. Rick excels at quickly and thoroughly understanding the technology and discussing it with his clients from an engineering perspective before developing a practical, cost effective protection strategy tailored to their technological and business needs.
- Registered Canadian Patent Agent
- Registered Canadian Trademark Agent
- Qualified Practitioner before the United States Patent and Trademarks Office
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada, Member
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Diversity in IP Committee Member
- Okanagan Science and Technology Council, Director
Certain engagements which Rick has led, or been principally involved with, include the following:
- Developed and implemented a long-term patent strategy for a leading oil field technology company
- Oversaw the transfer of multiple patent portfolios to a multinational corporation including preparing subsequent continuation and improvement patent applications.
- Prepared, filed and obtained registrations for patents and trademarks in Canada and the USA
- Managed the securement of patent and trademark rights around the world on behalf of Canadian clients
- Filed and obtained patent registrations in Canada for foreign law firm
- Conduct and prepare patentability opinions for clients on new technology or improvements
News & Publications
News & Publications
- Richard Okimaw Answers Questions from Lexpert Magazine on Canadian Patent Law, Lexpert Magazine, April 29, 2021
- IP Deadlines Amidst COVID-19, April 2, 2020, Author
- Kelsey Wahler; Brenda Rayson
- Legal Assistant
- T: 778.738.2611; 778.738.2603
- firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
- British Columbia (2005)
- Alberta (2011)
- University of Toronto (J.D., 2004)
- University of British Columbia (B.A.Sc., 1999)