Tim Syer practices corporate and commercial law in Lawson Lundell’s Yellowknife office. Tim advises local and national clients on corporate matters including share and asset purchase and sale transactions, banking, commercial real estate, construction, joint ventures and mineral tenure. Tim also advises both not-for-profit and for-profit clients on corporate governance matters and corporate reorganizations.
In both the Northwest Territories and Nunavut, Tim regularly deals with complex land tenure and real property issues. He has experience drafting and negotiating a wide range of commercial and operational agreements including service agreements, supply agreements, construction agreements, shareholders agreements and leases.
Clients turn to Tim for business-critical transactions and issues. Tim’s clients rely on him for strategic advice on doing business in the North. In addition to advising both public and private companies, Tim advises territorial and municipal governments on corporate matters.
Tim served as a naval officer in the Royal Canadian Navy for eight years before practicing law.
- Northwest Territories and Nunavut Chamber of Mines, Director
- Yellowknife Airport Economic Advisory Council, Member
- Conservative Party of Canada, National Councillor
- Wounded Warriors Canada, Northwest Territories Ambassador
- Institute for Circumpolar Health Research, Co-Chair
- Canadian Forces Liaison Council, Northern Chair
Recognitions & Rankings
Recognitions & Rankings
- Chambers Canada 2023: recognized for General Business Law - Northern Canada and Arctic (Up & Coming)
- Chambers Canada 2022: recognized for General Business Law - Northern Canada and Arctic (Associate to Watch)
- Representing Det’on Cho Management LP on the acquisition of Kavanaugh Bros Ltd.
- Representing Nunavut Housing Corporation in its partnership for the Nunavut 3000 building programme
- Advising Det’on Cho Capital LP on its acquisition of the Nunasi Building
- Advising the purchasers in the purchase of the Yellowknife Racquet Club Ltd.
- Advising the purchaser in the purchase of Wesclean Northern Sales Ltd.
- Representing Det’on Cho Management LP on its acquisition of Det’on Cho Logistics Ltd.
- Advising clients on the acquisition and maintenance of Business Incentive Program and Inuit Firm Registry registrations
- Advising development corporations on project development, significant business acquisitions and the formation and management of joint ventures
- Advising clients on corporate restructuring and reorganization
- Advising Indigenous-owned corporations on corporate governance and stakeholder relations
- Advising lenders on taking security over northern-based collateral
News & Publications
News & Publications
- 43 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 17 Practice Areas in Chambers Canada 2023, Chambers Canada, September 29, 2022
- Lawson Lundell Welcomes Six New Partners to the Firm, December 31, 2021
- 36 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 15 Practice Areas in Chambers Canada 2022, Chambers Canada, September 9, 2021
- Tim Syer Quoted in Yellowknifer Article on How Self-Isolation Rules are Deterring Business, Yellowknifer, November 6, 2020
- Tim Syer Quoted in Yellowknifer Article on the Yellowknife Chamber's Standard of Excellence Recognition, Yellowknifer, October 7, 2020
- Setting Out Separate Plans, Chambers Battle for Small Businesses, Cabin Radio, April 28, 2020
- Yellowknife Chamber of Commerce Calls on City to Provide Financial Aid to Businesses, The Yellowknifer, April 28, 2020
- COVID-Related Benefit Expanded to Include More Essential Workers, Low-Income Earners, Yellowknifer, April 17, 2020
- NWT to get at Least $32 Million in Federal Covid-19 Assistance, Yellowknifer, April 14, 2020
- Law-firm management with a military mindset, Canadian Lawyer Magazine, September 4, 2019, Author
- COVID-19 & the Use of Force Majeure in Northern Canada, North of 60 Blog, August 6, 2020
- 'Following the Path: Commercial Relationships in the North,' CBA Territorial Branch Conference 2023, April 21, 2023, Speaker
- Jasmine Li
- Legal Assistant
- T: 867.669.5515
- Alberta (2014)
- Northwest Territories (2016)
- Nunavut (2016)
- Yukon (2017)
University of Western Ontario (B.A. Hons., 2001)
Dalhousie University (M.A., 2003)
University of British Columbia (J.D., 2013)