Jack was named one of Lexpert’s Rising Stars – Leading Lawyers Under 40 for 2017.
Jack Yong is a partner and leader of the China Initiative with Lawson Lundell's Vancouver office, practising corporate and commercial law and providing clients with strategic counsel in diverse areas of business law.
In all of his work, Jack brings a practical, business-minded approach to get the best results for his clients. He is proficient in written Chinese and spoken Mandarin and Cantonese, and is able to deliver legal services in both English and Chinese.
Jack is an active volunteer in community and industry organizations. He was a director of the S.U.C.C.E.S.S. Foundation and of the British Columbia chapter of Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters. He is a member of the Access to Capital Advisory Council of the British Columbia Technology Industry Association (BCTIA). Jack was a director of the Association of Chinese Canadian Professionals, where he founded the Association’s professional mentorship program.
In addition, Jack is on the board of advisors for the Educating Girls of Rural China Society. Jack has also served on the executive of the Vancouver Cathay Lions Club.
- Vancouver Asian Film Festival, Member of the Board of Directors
- Educating Girls of Rural China Society, Member on the Board of Advisors
- British Columbia chapter of Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters, Former Director
- Vancouver Cathay Lions Club, Former Member of the Executive
- S.U.C.C.E.S.S Foundation, Former Director
- Access to Capital Advisory Council of the BC Tech Association, Past Member
- Association of Chinese Canadian Professionals, Former Director
Recognitions & Rankings
Recognitions & Rankings
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2017: repeatedly recommend as a Leading Practitioner for Corporate Mid-Market
- 2017 Lexpert Rising Star Award: recognized as one of Canada's Leading Lawyers under 40
Jack has experience in broad aspects of mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, financings, partnerships and joint ventures across a range of industries, including technology, manufacturing, real estate, resources and finance. He has acted for investors and companies in angel and venture capital financings, technology licensing transactions, co-development agreements and strategic alliances, and manufacturing and distribution arrangements.
Jack has also been involved in real estate development, acquisitions, dispositions, leasing and financing matters. He works closely with clients investing in major commercial properties, in often complex transactions. Jack has helped clients create investment structures to maximize returns and minimize risks in different assets. He is active in the creation of joint ventures, limited partnerships and co-ownerships.
A particular area of expertise of Jack's is cross-border transactions. Jack has assisted many clients from outside of Canada acquire or invest in businesses and assets inside and outside of Canada. He has helped many entities establish their corporate presence in Canada and enter into different kinds of commercial arrangements.
In 2011, Jack was seconded as Canadian counsel to a leading law firm in China with over 1,000 legal professionals. In this capacity, Jack spent three months in Beijing working with the firm’s cross-border transactions team. His work included a complex acquisition totalling $2.4 billion on behalf of China Guangdong Nuclear Power Group.
News & Publications
News & Publications
- Jack Yong Named a 2017 Lexpert Rising Star, November 17, 2017
- "The Asian Influence: How is Foreign Investment Affecting B.C.?", Vancouver Real Estate Forum, (April 11, 2017), Panel Speaker, April 11, 2017
- "How foreign capital fuels the Vancouver real estate market", Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai, (November 2012), Speaker
- Seminar on Chinese & First Nations business transactions, University of British Columbia, (October 2012), Presenter
- Seminar for the new Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters-B.C. Board of Directors, (May 2012), Organizer, MC, and Speaker
- Northern Cleantech Showcase bootcamp introducing leading Vancouver cleantech companies to high-calibre investors, Silicon Valley, (March 2012), Co-leader
- "Doing Business with China in the Year of the Dragon,”Seminar/Webinar, Vancouver, (March 2012), Co-presenter
- Selena Chung
- Legal Assistant
- T: 604.408.5397
- British Columbia (2004)
University of British Columbia (LL.B., 2003)
University of British Columbia (B.Comm. in Finance, 1999)