Jack was recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada 2020 for Mergers & Acquisitions Law and Real Estate Law in 2020 and for Mergers & Acquisitions Law in 2019; by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a leading lawyer to watch for Corporate Commercial law in 2018 and repeatedly recommend as a Leading Practitioner for Corporate Mid-Market and one of Lexpert’s Rising Stars – Leading Lawyers Under 40 for 2017.
Jack Yong is a partner and leader of the China Initiative with Lawson Lundell's Vancouver office, practising corporate and commercial law and providing clients with strategic counsel in diverse areas of business law.
In all of his work, Jack brings a practical, business-minded approach to get the best results for his clients. He is proficient in written Chinese and spoken Mandarin and Cantonese, and is able to deliver legal services in both English and Chinese.
Jack is an active volunteer in community and industry organizations. He was a director of the S.U.C.C.E.S.S. Foundation and of the British Columbia chapter of Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters. He is a member of the Access to Capital Advisory Council of the British Columbia Technology Industry Association (BCTIA). Jack was a director of the Association of Chinese Canadian Professionals, where he founded the Association’s professional mentorship program.
In addition, Jack is on the board of advisors for the Educating Girls of Rural China Society. Jack has also served on the executive of the Vancouver Cathay Lions Club.
- Vancouver Asian Film Festival, Member of the Board of Directors
- Educating Girls of Rural China Society, Member on the Board of Advisors
- British Columbia chapter of Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters, Former Director
- Vancouver Cathay Lions Club, Former Member of the Executive
- S.U.C.C.E.S.S Foundation, Former Director
- Access to Capital Advisory Council of the BC Tech Association, Past Member
- Association of Chinese Canadian Professionals, Former Director
Recognitions & Rankings
Recognitions & Rankings
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2020: recognized for Mergers & Acquisitions Law and Real Estate Law
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2019: recognized for Mergers & Acquisitions Law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory:
- listed as a leading lawyer to watch for Corporate Commercial law (2018)
- repeatedly recommend as a Leading Practitioner for Corporate Mid-Market (2017)
- 2017 Lexpert Rising Star Award: recognized as one of Canada's Leading Lawyers under 40
Jack has experience in broad aspects of mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, financings, partnerships and joint ventures across a range of industries, including technology, manufacturing, real estate, resources and finance. He has acted for investors and companies in angel and venture capital financings, technology licensing transactions, co-development agreements and strategic alliances, and manufacturing and distribution arrangements.
Jack has also been involved in real estate development, acquisitions, dispositions, leasing and financing matters. He works closely with clients investing in major commercial properties, in often complex transactions. Jack has helped clients create investment structures to maximize returns and minimize risks in different assets. He is active in the creation of joint ventures, limited partnerships and co-ownerships.
A particular area of expertise of Jack's is cross-border transactions. Jack has assisted many clients from outside of Canada acquire or invest in businesses and assets inside and outside of Canada. He has helped many entities establish their corporate presence in Canada and enter into different kinds of commercial arrangements.
In 2011, Jack was seconded as Canadian counsel to a leading law firm in China with over 1,000 legal professionals. In this capacity, Jack spent three months in Beijing working with the firm’s cross-border transactions team. His work included a complex acquisition totalling $2.4 billion on behalf of China Guangdong Nuclear Power Group.
News & Publications
News & Publications
- COVID-19 can Spawn Contractual Issues for Construction, Journal of Commerce, March 27, 2020
- Canadian Businesses Asking Questions About Force Majeure in Light of COVID-19, The Lawyer's Daily, March 20, 2020
- 52 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 31 Practice Areas in The Best Lawyers in Canada® 2020, The Best Lawyers in Canada® 2020 Edition, August 21, 2019
- Jack Yong Featured in Allard School of Law Alumni Magazine, Allard School of Law Alumni Magazine, 2019, February 20, 2019
- 50 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 33 Practice Areas in The Best Lawyers in Canada® 2019, The Best Lawyers in Canada® , 13th Edition, August 21, 2018
- Jack Yong Named a 2017 Lexpert Rising Star, November 17, 2017
- “温哥华房地产论坛”专家分析大温房市走向，逻盛合伙人杨明仁律师在专题讨论中发言, 新闻中心 , April 25, 2017
- 高净值家庭的家族办公室（一） ——介绍, 新闻中心 , July 3, 2019
- 《加拿大金融邮报》报道“杨明仁律师领导逻盛中国业务组”, 新闻中心 , April 29, 2017
- 亚洲文化月：专访合伙人兼中国业务组负责人杨明仁律师, 新闻中心 , May 8, 2018
- 杨明仁律师当选“Lexpert”40岁以下杰出律师, 新闻中心 , November 19, 2017
- 祝贺杨明仁律师当选“加拿大最佳律师”(2019年温哥华并购法）, 新闻中心 , August 29, 2018
- 祝贺杨明仁律师当选“加拿大最佳律师（2020年并购法和房地产法）“, 新闻中心 , August 23, 2019
- 逻盛合伙人/中国业务组负责人杨明仁律师接受“UBC法学院校友专刊”专访, 新闻中心 , February 22, 2019
- How Family Offices Can Invest In Real Estate Projects , 新闻中心 , February 19, 2020
- Force Majeure in the Time of Covid-19, Business Law Blog, February 18, 2020
- Introduction to Family Trusts , 新闻中心 , August 28, 2019
- Structures for Family Offices , 新闻中心 , August 24, 2019
- Family Offices for High-Net-Worth Families - An Introduction , 新闻中心 , July 3, 2019
- Panel Discussion: Hot Topics in M&A, Four Seasons Hotel, Seasons Room, February 27, 2019, Panelist
- Foreign Investment in BC, December 4, 2018, Panelist
- Asian investors in BC private companies: What are they looking for and what influence will they have?, June 13, 2017, Panelist
- "The Asian Influence: How is Foreign Investment Affecting B.C.?", Vancouver Real Estate Forum, (April 11, 2017), Panel Speaker, April 11, 2017
- The Role of Foreign Investment in B.C., April 11, 2017, Panelist
- "How foreign capital fuels the Vancouver real estate market", Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai, (November 2012), Speaker
- Seminar on Chinese & First Nations business transactions, University of British Columbia, (October 2012), Presenter
- Seminar for the new Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters-B.C. Board of Directors, (May 2012), Organizer, MC, and Speaker
- "Doing Business with China in the Year of the Dragon,”Seminar/Webinar, Vancouver, (March 2012), Co-presenter
- Northern Cleantech Showcase bootcamp introducing leading Vancouver cleantech companies to high-calibre investors, Silicon Valley, (March 2012), Co-leader
- Selena Chung
- Legal Assistant
- T: 604.408.5397
- British Columbia (2004)
University of British Columbia (LL.B., 2003)
University of British Columbia (B.Comm. in Finance, 1999)