With 20 years of experience in corporate finance and securities law, Angela is sought out for her ability to efficiently manage complex, time-sensitive transactions and provide pragmatic advice to executives and boards on compliance, governance and risk management issues.
As an experienced securities lawyer, Angela advises domestic and international companies across industries in connection with strategic M&A, stock exchange listings, compliance, joint ventures, financings, corporate governance and corporate social responsibility.
A member of our Private Equity Practice Group, Angela advises both fund sponsors and institutional investors in connection with private equity fund formations, secondaries, fund investments, buyouts and mezzanine financings.
She also advises on formation, organization and ongoing operations of retail mutual funds, hedge funds, pooled funds and other investment funds across all asset classes.
Angela routinely assists clients in obtaining investment fund manager, portfolio manager and exempt market dealer registration and advises registrants on a wide range of securities registration matters, including exemption applications, regulatory compliance examinations and compliance policies and procedures.
- ACG British Columbia, Director and Corporate Secretary (2018-2020); Chair, Dealmakers of the Year Awards, Organizing Committee (2017-2020)
- Lithoquest Diamonds Inc. (TSXV:LDI), Director (2017-2020)
- Business Transitions Forum 2018, Advisory Committee
- Arts Umbrella Invitational to Benefit The Children's Arts Umbrella Foundation, Co-Chair (2016-2017)
- AWF Association of Women in Finance, Director and Secretary (2004-2006)
- Canadian Women in Private Equity & Venture Capital, Vancouver (CWPE), Member
- International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans, Member
- Canadian Pension Benefits Institute, Member
Recognitions & Rankings
Recognitions & Rankings
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2022: recognized in Private Funds Law and Securities Law
- Acritas Stars 2019-21
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2020: repeatedly recommended as a Leading Practitioner for Investment Funds & Asset Management (Non-Tax)
- Named by BC Business Magazine (March, 2019) as one of BC's Most Influential Women in Finance
Selected experience includes:
- Represented a consortium of 12 Canadian private sector pension plans in a $1.4 billion investment in a combination of Northleaf’s Private Credit Fund and concurrent secondary market purchase of a 16% interest in Antares Holdings, a US middle market lender.
- Represented a consortium of Canadian private sector pension plans in a $175 million secondary market purchase of a portfolio of P3 infrastructure contracts.
- In the past twelve months, assisted institutional investors in negotiating over $3.7 Billion in commitments to several private equity funds, including:
- Alcentra European Direct Lending Fund IV SCSp
- Alignvest Student Housing Real Estate Investment Trust
- Antin Infrastructure Partners Mid Cap SCSp
- Apollo European Principal Finance Fund IV
- Arrowstreet Investment Trust
- ASF VIII Infrastructure LP
- ASF Winston Co-Invest LP
- Audax Direct Lending Solutions Fund II, LP
- Axium Infrastructure NA Limited Partnership
- Blackrock GIS 4 (Co-Invest)
- Brookfield Global Transition Fund
- Brookfield Real Estate Finance VI, LP
- Brookfield Strategic Real Estate Partners IV LP
- Brookfield Super-Core Infrastructure Partners L.P.
- CBRE Caledon Global Infrastructure Fund
- CBRE US Credit Partners, LP
- Connor, Clark & Lunn Institutional Infrastructure Fund
- Cortland Credit Strategies LP
- Crestline Portfolio Financing Fund II (FT), LP
- Crestline Specialty Lending Fund III, LP
- DIF Core Infrastructure Fund II
- DIF VI Co-Invest C.V.
- Direct Lending Fund IV
- Dream U.S. Industrial Fund LP
- Egerton Investment Partners, LP
- Fengate Infrastructure Yield Fund LP
- Generation IM Fund
- Goldman Sachs Funds SICAC
- Hazelview Canadian Mortgage LP
- HPS Specialty Loan International Fund V, SCSp
- IFM Global Infrastructure (Canada), LP
- IFM USIDF (Offshore) A, L.P.
- KKR North America Fund XIII SCSp
- KKR Private Credit Opportunities Partners III (EEA) SCSp
- Longbow Boilermakers Limited Partnership
- Macquarie Asia-Pacific Infrastructure Fund 3 LP
- MGG SF Evergreen Unlevered Fund II LP
- MW TOPS Emerging Markets Fund - Marshall Wace Long Strategies ICAV
- NB Specialty Finance Income Fund (CAD)
- Northleaf Essential Infrastructure Fund LP
- Northleaf Infrastructure Capital Partners III LP
- Northleaf Private Equity Investors VIII LP
- Northleaf Secondary Partners III LP
- Northleaf Senior Private Credit LP
- Partners Group Direct Infrastructure 2020 LP
- Partners Group Private Equity II
- Portfolio Advisors Secondary Fund IV, LP
- RWC Emerging Markets Equity Fund
- SAF Group
- Senior Loan Fund II
- Starlight U.S. Residential Fund
- Stonepeak Infrastructure Fund IV LP
- TD Greystone Infrastructure Fund LP
- TEC Credit Income Fund
- Two Sigma World Core Cayman Fund, Ltd.
- WCAS XIV, LP
- Whitehorse Liquidity Partners Fund IV LP
- Whitehorse Liquidity Partners Fund V LP
- Woodbourne Canada Partners V, LP
- Represented SSR Mining Inc. in connection with a US $230,000,000 convertible note offering.
- Represented SSR Mining Inc., in its acquisition of Saskatoon-based Claude Resources Inc., which owns and operates the Seabee Gold Operation in northeastern Saskatchewan.
- Represented an international mining company in connection with the take-private acquisition of a TSX listed gold producer.
- Represented an oil and gas exploration company in the formation of an investment fund and related financing by way of offering memorandum.
- Represented Bernie Rokstad and Aaron Rokstad in connection with Carillion plc's acquisition of a 60% interest in Rokstad Power Corporation.
- Represented Silver Predator Corp. in connection with its acquisition of Springer Mining Company, owner of the Springer Tungsten Mine and Mill in Nevada, from Americas Bullion Royalty Corp.
- Represented Golden Predator Mining Corp. in connection with its acquisition of Redtail Metals Corp. pursuant to a statutory plan of arrangement and its concurrent acquisition of a 100% interest in the Brewery Creek Project, a past producing heap leach gold mining operation located in the Yukon.
- Advising institutional and pension fund investors in connection with numerous private equity and alternative investments across various asset classes.
- Advising on formation, organization and ongoing operations of retail mutual funds, hedge funds, pooled funds and other investment funds.
- Advising dealers, advisers, and investment fund managers with respect to registration and on-going securities regulatory and compliance matters.
- Advising a Canadian mining company in connection with the acquisition of a 100% interest in a tin and copper mine project and the associated mineral rights, giving it access to a very well-known past producing mine.
News & Publications
News & Publications
- 66 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 36 Practice Areas in the Best Lawyers in Canada® 2022 , Best Lawyers in Canada, August 26, 2021
- Acritas Recognises 19 Lawson Lundell Professionals as "Star Lawyers", Acritas Stars, March 8, 2021
- Acritas Recognises Lawson Lundell Professionals as "Star Lawyers" , Acritas Stars, April 17, 2020
- Acritas Recognises Lawson Lundell Professionals as "Star Lawyers" , Acritas Stars, March 19, 2019
- Valerie Mann & Angela Austman Named to BCBusiness Magazine’s “Most Influential Women in Finance” List, BCBusiness Magazine, March 2019, March 6, 2019
- Angela Austman Featured in Business in Vancouver, Business in Vancouver, January 25, 2019, Author
- Angela Austman quoted in Business in Vancouver article, "Networking not just small talk, experts tell aspiring entrepreneurs", Business in Vancouver, September 21, 2018, Interview
- Angela Austman quoted in The Vancouver Sun article, "Lawyers, accountants feel pinch from downturn in mining exploration", The Vancouver Sun, January 22, 2016, Interview
- Angela Austman quoted in The Vancouver Sun article, "Economic downturn hits B.C. mining exploration hard", The Vancouver Sun, January 22, 2016, Interview
- Matters to Consider for the 2022 Annual General Meeting and Proxy Season, Business Law Blog, February 24, 2022
- Phase 1 of Canadian Securities Administrators’ Client Focused Reforms Coming into Effect June 30, 2021, Business Law Blog, May 10, 2021
- CSA Notice 32-302 Announces Revocation of the Northwestern and Mortgage Investment Entities Dealer Registration Exemptions, Business Law Blog, August 16, 2018
- A Big Opportunity for Pensions Plans, Large and Small, Association of Canadian Pension Management, Vancouver, BC, May 15, 2019, Co-speaker
- Business in Vancouver's 2018 Business Excellence Series: Women in Business, Vancouver, BC, September 20, 2018, Panelist
- Christina Bartos
- Legal Assistant
- T: 604.408.5323
- British Columbia (2002)
- Northwest Territories (2016)
- Nunavut (2016)
- Yukon (2016)
University of British Columbia, LL.B. (2001)
Simon Fraser University, B.A. (1999)