With 17 years of expertise in corporate finance and securities law, Angela is sought out for her ability to efficiently manage complex, time-sensitive transactions and provide pragmatic advice to executives and boards on compliance, governance and risk management issues.
As an experienced securities lawyer, Angela advises domestic and international companies across industries in connection with strategic M&A, stock exchange listings, compliance, joint ventures, financings, corporate governance and corporate social responsibility.
A member of our Private Equity Practice Group, Angela advises both fund sponsors and institutional investors in connection with private equity fund formations, secondaries, fund investments, buyouts and mezzanine financings.
She also advises on formation, organization and ongoing operations of retail mutual funds, hedge funds, pooled funds and other investment funds across all asset classes.
Angela routinely assists clients in obtaining investment fund manager, portfolio manager and exempt market dealer registration and advises registrants on a wide range of securities registration matters, including exemption applications, regulatory compliance examinations and compliance policies and procedures.
- ACG British Columbia, Director and Corporate Secretary (2018-Current); Chair, Dealmakers of the Year Awards, Organizing Committee (2017-2019)
- Lithoquest Diamonds Inc. (TSXV:LDI), Director (2017-Current)
- Business Transitions Forum 2018, Advisory Committee
- Arts Umbrella Invitational to Benefit The Children's Arts Umbrella Foundation, Co-Chair (2016-2017)
- AWF Association of Women in Finance, Director and Secretary (2004-2006)
- Canadian Women in Private Equity & Venture Capital, Vancouver (CWPE), Member
- International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans, Member
- Private Capital Markets Association of Canada, Member
Recognitions & Rankings
Recognitions & Rankings
- Acritas Stars 2019
- Named by BC Business Magazine (March, 2019) as one of BC's most influential women in Finance
Selected experience includes:
- Represented a consortium of 12 Canadian private sector pension plans in a $1.4 billion investment in a combination of Northleaf’s Private Credit Fund and concurrent secondary market purchase of a 16% interest in Antares Holdings a US middle market lender.
- Represented a consortium of Canadian private sector pension plans in a $175 million secondary market purchase of a portfolio of P3 infrastructure contracts.
- In the past twelve months, assisted institutional investors in negotiating over $1 Billion in commitments to several private equity funds, including:
- IFM Global Infrastructure (Canada), LP
- Northleaf Infrastructure Capital Partners lII LP
- Crestline Specialty Lending II (CAN), LP
- Axium Infrastructure NA Limited Partnership
- KKR Global Infrastructure Fund
- Raven Asset-Based Credit Fund I LP
- Clareant European Direct Lending Fund lll
- New Mountain Guardian Partners II
- Adams Street Partners Venture Innovation Fund II
- Incus Capital European Credit Fund III, LP
- BlueBay Direct Lending Fund III SLP
- Pantheon Global Co-Investment Opportunities IV
- Trez Capital Finance Fund VII Limited Partnership
- Third Eye Capital Alternative Credit Trust
- Private Equity Core Fund (QP) VIII (Offshore), LP
- Connor, Clark & Lunn Institutional Infrastructure Fund
- Arrowstreet Capital, Limited Partnership
- CBRE Global Investment Partners Global Alpha Fund Series FCP-SIF
- PGIF lll Co-Mingled Fund
- Audax Direct Lending Solutions Fund B, LP
- Northleaf Private Credit ll
- Represented an international mining company in connection with the take-private acquisition of a TSX listed gold producer.
- Represented an oil and gas exploration company in the formation of an investment fund and related financing by way of offering memorandum.
- Represented Bernie Rokstad and Aaron Rokstad in connection with Carillion plc's acquisition of a 60% interest in Rokstad Power Corporation.
- Represented Silver Predator Corp. in connection with its acquisition of Springer Mining Company, owner of the Springer Tungsten Mine and Mill in Nevada, from Americas Bullion Royalty Corp.
- Represented Golden Predator Mining Corp. in connection with its acquisition of Redtail Metals Corp. pursuant to a statutory plan of arrangement and its concurrent acquisition of a 100% interest in the Brewery Creek Project, a past producing heap leach gold mining operation located in the Yukon.
- Advising institutional and pension fund investors in connection with numerous private equity and alternative investments across various asset classes.
- Advising on formation, organization and ongoing operations of retail mutual funds, hedge funds, pooled funds and other investment funds.
- Advising dealers, advisers, and investment fund managers with respect to registration and on-going securities regulatory and compliance matters.
- Representing Silver Standard Resources Inc., in a range of corporate securities and corporate transactions including: equity and debt offerings; corporate reorganizations; acquisitions and divestitures.
- Representing Silver Standard Resources Inc., in its acquisition of Saskatoon-based Claude Resources Inc., which owns and operates the Seabee Gold Operation in northeastern Saskatchewan.
- Advising Silver Standard Resources Inc., with respect to five transactions totaling over $25 million.
- Advising a Canadian mining company in connection with the acquisition of a 100% interest in a tin and copper mine project and the associated mineral rights, giving it access to a very well-known past producing mine.
- Representing a pension and benefits corporation in the expansion of its platform into a new Canadian province.
News & Publications
News & Publications
- Acritas Recognises Lawson Lundell Professionals as "Star Lawyers" , Acritas Stars, March 19, 2019
- Valerie Mann & Angela Austman Named to BCBusiness Magazine’s “Most Influential Women in Finance” List, BCBusiness Magazine, March 2019, March 6, 2019
- Angela Austman Featured in Business in Vancouver, Business in Vancouver, January 25, 2019, Author
- Angela Austman quoted in Business in Vancouver article, "Networking not just small talk, experts tell aspiring entrepreneurs", Business in Vancouver, September 21, 2018, Interview
- Angela Austman quoted in The Vancouver Sun article, "Economic downturn hits B.C. mining exploration hard", The Vancouver Sun, January 22, 2016, Interview
- Angela Austman quoted in The Vancouver Sun article, "Lawyers, accountants feel pinch from downturn in mining exploration", The Vancouver Sun, January 22, 2016, Interview
- CSA Notice 32-302 Announces Revocation of the Northwestern and Mortgage Investment Entities Dealer Registration Exemptions, Business Law Blog, August 16, 2018
- A Big Opportunity for Pensions Plans, Large and Small, Association of Canadian Pension Management, Vancouver, BC, May 15, 2019, Co-speaker
- Business in Vancouver's 2018 Business Excellence Series: Women in Business, Vancouver, BC, September 20, 2018
- Christina Bartos
- Legal Assistant
- T: 604.408.5323
- British Columbia (2002)
- Northwest Territories (2016)
- Nunavut (2016)
- Yukon (2016)
University of British Columbia, LL.B. (2001)
Simon Fraser University, B.A. (1999)