Tim is an associate in Lawson Lundell's Vancouver office practicing in the China Group. His practice focuses on commercial real estate matters with a particular emphasis on commercial real estate development and commercial lease negotiating and drafting.
Tim advises on the purchase, finance, development and sale of residential, commercial, mixed-used and industrial properties. On the development side, he drafts disclosure statements, strata bylaws, and purchase agreements in compliance with the Real Estate Development Marketing Act, reviews and negotiates municipality agreements as part of the development permit process, and assists developers with their construction financing and deposit protection insurance facilities.
Tim also routinely assists landlords and tenants in the preparation, negotiation and settlement of commercial leases for various commercial properties ranging from open-air shopping centers to office tower complexes with local, national and international tenants and landlords.
In Tim's corporate and commercial practice, he assists clients on private mergers and acquisitions, and corporate and partnership structuring and reorganizations for real estate projects. He also has experience negotiating and drafting commercial agreements across various industries including in the professional services, technology, forestry and hospitality sectors.
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association - Vancouver Real Property Section, Member
- Christian Legal Fellowship, Member
- Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers, Member
- University of Victoria Business Law Clinic, Volunteer Mentor (2019 - Present)
- Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers, Volunteer Mentor (2018 - Present)
- Canadian Bible Society - BC & Yukon District, Secretary on the Board of Directors (2015 - Present)
In his spare time, Tim enjoys exploring the great outdoors of British Columbia with a playlist of his favourite history and documentary podcasts. He also takes great joy in spending time with his young family and serving at his local church.
Commercial Real Estate Development
- Acting for investors in performing the due diligence, purchasing and financing of various land assemblies and commercial properties.
- Acting for developers in drafting and negotiating crane swing and shoring easements for mixed-use and industrial developments.
- Acting for developers in preparing and filing Real Estate Development Marketing Act ("REDMA") compliant documents for residential and mixed-use development projects.
- Acting for developers in the review and negotiation of municipal easement agreements as part of meeting the conditions of approval for their development applications.
- Assisting developers in obtaining construction financing and deposit protection insurance and facilitating construction loan draws and release of deposits in compliance with REDMA.
- Acting for a landlord in drafting and negotiating leases with local, regional and national tenants in a "AAA" class office tower complex.
- Acting for landlords in drafting and negotiating leases, sub-leases, rent-relief agreements, and assignment agreements for various retail, office and industrial properties.
- Acting for a client in drafting and negotiating a long-term lease of a 37,000+ square foot industrial property to be converted to a health spa and assisting client in navigating municipal and provincial bylaw requirements and permitting process.
- Acting for a landlord in drafting and negotiating a lease with an independent school involving the tenant's complex extension project to the building.
- Acting for a landlord in drafting and negotiating a lease for agricultural land for cannabis production.
- Acting for developers in drafting marketing agreements with development project marketers.
- Preparing partnership agreements for investors in connection with acquiring properties for development.
- Drafting and negotiating commercial agreements for the transportation of forestry products on aboriginal lands for a B.C. sawmill.
- Drafting employment policies, NDAs, and master service agreements for various engineering firms and technology companies.
- Reviewing due diligence on client's joint venture to obtain an overseas license to use patented fuel cell technology.
News & Publications
- Negotiating Caps for Operating Costs in Commercial Leases, Real Estate Law Blog, August 26, 2020
- Developing Land in B.C.? How the Province’s Proposed Land Owner Transparency Act May Impact You, Real Estate Law Blog, January 9, 2020
- 在BC省开发土地？ BC省拟议的《土地所有者透明度法案》可能如何影响您 , 新闻中心 , December 18, 2019
- Timothy Law, Guest Panelist at FACL BC Presents: Balancing Family and Law, October 3, 2019, Panelist
- Vicky Song
- Legal Assistant
- T: 604.408.5319
- Ontario (2014)
- British Columbia (2015)
University of Victoria (J.D., 2013)
University of Toronto (Hon. B.A., 2008)