Marika is a partner in the Calgary office of Lawson Lundell and a member of the firm's Litigation & Dispute Resolution Group. Marika’s practice is focused on resolving complicated business disputes, with an emphasis on disputes in the commercial, energy and power sectors. She has extensive experience with domestic commercial arbitrations (having acted as counsel in at least two complex arbitrations a year for over a decade) as well as resolving disputes through mediation and other forms of Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Most recently, Marika has gained significant experience acting for clients in disputes relating to renewable energy projects, including disputes arising out of changes to climate legislation and relating to entitlement to renewable energy credits and carbon credits.
Marika believes in working collaboratively to address her clients’ interests and is known for finding practical, cost-effective solutions to even the most complex matters. She is called on regularly to lead or provide advice on project managing complex or document and fact-intensive files to ensure efficiency and a good return on investment in the dispute for the client.
In addition to acting for parties involved in a dispute, Marika regularly provides real-time risk management advice in advance of a dispute or potential dispute. She provides guidance to clients in the energy, power and construction sectors on managing internal processes or investigations where a dispute is on the horizon, such as following a major incident, force majeure event or with respect to time-sensitive construction matters involving delays, changes or design issues.
- Law Society of Alberta, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Calgary Bar Association, Member
- Advocates' Society, Member
Recognitions & Rankings
Recognitions & Rankings
- Benchmark Litigation: recognised as one of Canada’s 'Top 100 Women in Litigation,' 2022-2023
- Benchmark Canada: The Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys, 2021-2023: recognised as a Litigation Star
- Benchmark Litigation "40 and Under Hotlist" (2019)
Energy Litigation and Arbitration
- Arbitration counsel to a power company in a dispute over entitlement to the environmental attributes of renewable electricity generation under a power purchase agreement.
- Arbitration counsel to a producer in a contract dispute with gas plant operator over contract terms, processing fees, and allocation of plant operating costs.
- Arbitration counsel to a renewable power company in a contractual dispute over ownership of renewable energy credits.
- Litigation counsel to an LNG company in a successful application for injunctive relief enjoining defendant from seizing processed gas products.
- Arbitration counsel to a power plant owner in a very complex force majeure claim where power plant owner faced approximately $170 million in outage penalties.
- Arbitration counsel to a power company in various arbitrations defending the power company’s claim of force majeure under Alberta’s legislated Power Purchase Arrangements.
- Litigation counsel for a power company in successful summary judgment dismissal based on a limitations defence.
- Arbitration counsel to midstream facility owner involved in a significant dispute with co-owner over facility access and capacity, pipeline obligations, facility maintenance, and obligations to process third-party gas.
- Arbitration counsel to a power plant owner in a dispute over necessity and timing of generator inspections and repairs, including a significant construction delay claim, during a period of claimed force majeure.
- Arbitration counsel to a power company in a dispute relating to the interpretation and enforcement of a long-term gas supply agreement.
- Litigation counsel to a power company in a dispute over the supply of emissions offset credits.
- Litigation counsel for an oil and gas producer in a dispute arising out of an oil rig failure/collapse.
- Litigation counsel for an oil and gas company over responsibility for environmental remediation.
Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- Arbitration counsel for the primary contractor in a large construction arbitration dispute related to a water treatment plant to recover damages for design deficiencies, delays and productivity losses in relation to the construction of a large water treatment facility.
- Arbitration counsel for a real estate joint venture and individual directors and officers in an oppression action brought by investors and former directors and officers.
- Litigation counsel to an heavy equipment supplier and service provider in a contractual dispute involving the interpretation of an asset purchase agreement.
- Litigation counsel for an airline in a dispute involving breach of a purchase and sale contract.
- Litigation counsel for an international agriculture company in various disputes involving breaches of grain purchase agreements.
- Litigation counsel for an industrial process instrumentation manufacturer and supplier in relation to a failed joint venture and breaches of a distributorship agreement.
- Litigation counsel for the directors and officers of several TSX-venture exchange listed oil and gas companies in a class action brought by shareholders alleging negligent misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duty, oppression, and various Securities Act violations.
- Litigation counsel for the shareholders of a technology company seeking preservation of assets of the company and appointment as interim directors.
News & Publications
News & Publications
- Lawson Lundell Litigators Recognized in Benchmark Litigation "40 & Under Hot List", Benchmark Litigation 40 & Under Hot List, July 10, 2019
- Benchmark Canada Recognizes 27 Lawson Lundell Litigators in 2019 Guide, Benchmark Canada 2019 , March 26, 2019
- What Does “Has Not Participated in the Arbitration” Mean?, Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Blog, April 24, 2023
- Nothing Extravagant or Unconscionable Here: Alberta Court of Appeal Confirms Contractual Interest Rate of 24% Applied to Unpaid Invoices Enforceable, Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Blog, February 25, 2021
- Proper Service Ex juris is Not a Mere Technicality, Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Blog, August 1, 2019
- Alberta Court of Appeal Clarifies Summary Judgment and Limitation Period for Breaches of Contract, Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Blog, February 11, 2019
- Can a Corrective Invoice Restart the Limitations Clock? ABQB Clarifies Limitations Law Relating to Stale Billings, Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Blog, October 16, 2018
- “Foundations of a Successful Arbitration,” The Advocates’ Society, Arbitration Advocacy (live event and webcast), November 23, 2023, Panel Member/Speaker
- “Evidence Update: What Every Litigator Needs to Know,” The Advocates’ Society, Evidence for Litigators Webcast, May 12, 2020, Speaker
- Business Communication Strategies to Reduce Corporate Risk: Practical legal advice to guide companies in the current crosshairs of the electronic age in a litigious world, Hyatt Regency Calgary | 700 Centre Street SE, Calgary AB, June 18, 2019, Co-speaker
- Privilege and Best Practices in Internal Investigations, Calgary, AB, January 2018, Co-Speaker
- Live Litigation Events: Managing urgent or emergency events that will result in litigation - Association of Corporate Counsel Speaker Series , Calgary, AB, November 22, 2017, Co-Speaker
- Robyn Lenz
- Legal Assistant
- T: 403.218.7570
- Alberta, 2010
University of Calgary, Bachelor of Laws, 2009
University of Victoria, Master of Arts, 2004
University of Calgary, Bachelor of Arts (with Distinction), 2000