Mandeep’s practice deals mainly with banks and private lenders in both secured and unsecured financing transactions.
Mandeep has experience in the preparation and negotiation of loan and security documentation for real estate financing, including construction lending and permanent financing, subordinated debt financing and related intercreditor arrangements, leasing and other asset-based financing structures, hedging, securitization and aircraft finance.
He serves as counsel to insurance companies in providing secured deposit protection contract facilities under the Real Estate Development and Marketing Act (B.C.).
Mandeep has acted on behalf of borrowers in assisting them with international project financing, with a focus on mining and independent power projects financings.
He is regularly retained by US and Ontario law firms to advise on British Columbia lending, security and opinion matters.
Mandeep also represents clients in a variety of commercial and multiple unit residential real estate acquisitions.
Mandeep is the current head of the Corporate Group at Lawson Lundell.
- North American South Asian Bar Association (“NASABA”)
- South Asian Bar Association of British Columbia, Current Director and former inaugural President
- BC Children’s Hospital, “A Night of Miracles” Cabinet Member (2010)
- Easter Seals 24 Hour Relay, team captain for 2 consecutive years (2007-2008)
- Family Services of Greater Vancouver, Board Member (2013-2014)
Recognitions & Rankings
Recognitions & Rankings
- Best Lawyers in Canada: recognized for Banking and Finance law and Project Finance law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory: repeatedly recommended as a Leading Practitioner for banking and financial institutions
- Lexpert Special Edition 2016 and 2017: Leading Canadian Lawyers in Global Mining
- Lexpert 2013 Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada: recognized as one of Canada's Corporate Lawyers to Watch
- 2012 Lexpert Rising Star Award: recognized as one of Canada's Leading Lawyers under 40
- Named, Business In Vancouver, Forty Under 40 (2012)
Recently, Mandeep has acted:
- On behalf of Walter Energy Inc. and Western Coal Corp. in obtaining credit facilities in the amount of US$1.3 billion
- On behalf of the lending syndicate in $1.5 billion restructuring of Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd., the largest casino operating in Western Canada;
- Multiple jurisdiction company in obtaining secured senior credit facilities and subordinated notes in the aggregate amount of $560 million
- Insurance company in providing $100 million subordinated facility to a developer for a phased residential development in Richmond, British Columbia
- Insurance company in providing $100 million subordinated facility to a developer for a mixed-use project in Vancouver, British Columbia
- On behalf of a lender in providing a US$36 million loan facility to a U.K. based borrower secured by mining assets in the U.S., Canada, Australia and the U.K., and publicly listed securities on the London Exchange and the Toronto Stock Exchange
- On behalf of pension funds, life insurance companies and banks as lenders, in financing independent power (run of the river) projects
- On behalf of a pension fund in obtaining a revolving credit facility in the sum of $250 million
- On behalf of a publicly traded mining company in obtaining syndicated construction financing facilities in the sum of $75 million
- On behalf of HSBC Bank Canada in providing $55 million acquisition and construction credit facilities for a community development in BC
- On behalf of a developer in obtaining term financing of US$55 million from a New York hedge fund for a California phased-residential development
- As exclusive B.C. counsel to Mainstreet Equities Corp., a publicly traded company, in its acquisition and financing of apartment portfolio apartment buildings
- For Encore Group on lending matters in it sale of assets for $175 million in debt and equity
- As exclusive counsel to both Lombard General Insurance Company of Canada and Aviva Insurance Company of Canada in their deposit protection insurance transactions in British Columbia
News & Publications
News & Publications
- Mandeep Dhaliwal quoted in Business in Vancouver, "Deal-making central", September 11, 2012, Interview
- Mandeep Dhaliwal quoted in Business in Vancouver, "Surrey condo marketers feel the heat:", June 5, 2012, Interview
- "BC Personal Property Security Act Practice Manual", Continuing Legal Education Society of BC, 2010, Contributing Author
- “An Overview of Canadian Options for Distressed Companies”, 2009, Materials, Co-Author with Sarah J. Nelligan
- CLE BC Real Estate Financing – Annotated Precedents, 2008, Co-Editor
- “PPSA Issues in Real Estate Transactions” Real Estate Fundamentals", 2007, Co-Author with Jennifer Dezell
- “Standard of Conduct”, BC Personal Property Security Act, Practice Manual Chapter 21, Continuing Legal Education Society of BC, Co-Author with Paul Bradley
- American Bar Association Business Law Spring Meeting (2009), “What to Expect When Your Deal Goes Bad”, Co-Panelist
- NASABA Convention, 2007, Presenter
- CLE Real Estate Fundamentals, 2007, Presenter
- Alison McBride
- Legal Assistant
- T: 604.408.5357
- British Columbia (2002)
University of British Columbia (B.A., 1998)
University of Toronto (LL.B, 2001)