Jennifer advises clients on regulatory, indigenous and environmental law matters for a variety of industry sectors, including mining, clean energy, transportation, forestry and land development in general. Jennifer has successfully helped major project proponents to obtain environmental assessment approvals for metal mines, metallurgical coal mines, LNG facilities, and other projects. Jennifer has advised a wide variety of projects and project expansions, developing regulatory roadmaps for major project permitting, and providing advice as needed throughout the permitting process. Jennifer also advises on water rights, subsurface resource tenures, and surface interests, including conducting reviews of mineral tenures, surface rights, and permits, whether in the context of project development or due diligence for project financing or acquisitions. She also advises project proponents in respect of Indigenous land matters and impact and benefit agreements.
Jennifer’s work intersects with the firm’s real estate group for linear project development and also contaminated sites due diligence and remediation. Jennifer has assisted in regulatory matters such as public utility rate-setting, tariffs, and access to transmission and storage.
Prior to her career in law, Jennifer worked as an electrical engineer before co-founding a software company. She led the engineering department there for eight years, successfully managed the group through two acquisitions, and gained substantial experience in project management.
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- CBABC Environmental Law Section Executive (2016/17)
- Project Law Blog, Contributor
- Environmental Managers Association of BC (EMA of BC); Judge for 2019 EMA Awards; Director at Large – 1 year term (2019-2020); Treasurer – 2 year term (Sept 2020 – present)
- Keats Camps Board of Management (2007-2013; 2014-2020); Chair (2008), Past Chair (2009), Vice Chair (2016), Secretary (2010-2013, 2017-2019)
- Okanagan Partnership’s Engineering Advisory Board to the University of British Columbia’s Dean of Applied Science and Intellectual Property Task Force; Member (2005)
- UBC University Industry Liaison Office’s (UILO) Task Group on Sponsored Research Agreements; Member (2005)
- Okanagan Science and Technology Council (OSTEC); Board Member (2003 - 2005)
- Okanagan High Tech Council (OHTC); Board Member (2000 - 2002)
- Advised clients on the permitting and development of mines, electrical generation and transmission projects, other linear infrastructure, LNG terminals, port facilities, and other major projects in various provinces and territories, including BC, Yukon, Nunavut, NWT, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia.
- Appeared before the Nunavut Impact Review Board representing major mining project proponents.
- Assisted numerous clients in matters before other regulatory boards in western Canada and the Canadian North, many of which are very large projects that are major economic drivers in the provinces and territories in which they are located.
- Advised a number of clients on the current and potential future liabilities relating to the acquisition of current and historic industrial properties.
- Continued representation of numerous companies developing metal mines in Nunavut, BC and Yukon.
- Represented several major mining companies in the acquisition of advanced exploration or mining properties in BC, Saskatchewan, Ontario and throughout the Canadian North.
- Assisted various clients during disputes relating to mineral tenure issues and competing interests in land.
- Assisted clients with identifying the need for and obtaining fisheries authorizations, water licences, waste authorizations, environmental assessment certificates and other authorizations for mines, mills, hydroelectric facilities, and other natural resource or infrastructure projects.
News & Publications
News & Publications
- We are proud to promote six associates to the partnership, January 4, 2018
- Canada Chapter: The International Comparative Legal Guide to Mining Law 2018, Global Legal Group, Co-author
- Compliance with Confidentiality Orders: The Ethics of Confidentiality - Preventing Data Leaks and Dealing with Their Consequences, Regulatory Boards and Administrative Law Litigation, Volume XII, No. 2, 2015, Author
- Federal Government Approves Meliadine Gold Mine, February 3, 2015
- Does My Project Need an Environmental Assessment? The New Reviewable Projects Regulation in B.C., Project Law Blog, January 23, 2020
- The New Environmental Assessment Act (BC) Comes Into Force December 16, 2019, Project Law Blog, December 10, 2019
- Impact Assessment Act and Canadian Energy Regulator Act Coming Into Force August 28, 2019, Project Law Blog, August 14, 2019
- Bill C-69 Follow Up: BC-Federal Impact Assessment Cooperation Agreement, Project Law Blog, July 10, 2019
- Feds Seek Comments on Impact Assessment Triggers (Project List), Project Law Blog, May 1, 2019
- BC Environmental Assessment Act – Significant Changes Proposed in Bill 51, Project Law Blog, November 7, 2018
- Extended Deadline: June 1, 2018 to provide Government of Canada with comments to Consultation Paper and Time Management Regulations, Project Law Blog, April 12, 2018
- Federal Impact Assessment Act – Does My Project Need An Assessment?, Project Law Blog, February 16, 2018
- Federal Environmental Assessment – What’s Next? – Proposed New Triggers, Project Law Blog, April 13, 2017
- Federal Environmental Assessment – What’s Next? – Expert Panel Releases Report, Project Law Blog, April 7, 2017
- B.C. Court of Appeal review of the BC Environmental Assessment Process – Case Comment on Fort Nelson First Nation v. British Columbia, Project Law Blog, January 6, 2017
- Federal Government Announces Review of Key Environmental and Regulatory Legislation and Processes, Project Law Blog, June 26, 2016
- Changes to “Designated Projects” Triggers under the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012 (“CEAA 2012”) Are Now In Force, Project Law Blog, November 4, 2013
- Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012 – Training Materials Available, Project Law Blog, January 4, 2013
- Federal Environmental Assessment Panel Established for New Prosperity Gold-Copper Mine Project, Project Law Blog, May 15, 2012
- Environmental Managers Association of BC (EMA of BC) Annual Legal Update, The New Environmental Assessment Act (BC), BCIT Downtown Campus, January 16, 2020, Speaker
- Bill C-69: How It Affects You | Breakfast Seminar, The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, December 5, 2019
- Lorleen Langhorn
- Legal Assistant
- T: 604.408.5311
- British Columbia (2010)
- Nunavut (2015)
- Yukon (2015)
- Northwest Territories (2015)
Cornell University (Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, 1992)
University of British Columbia (J.D. 2009)