In his over 30 years of practice, Bryan has regularly advised banking and financial institution clients with respect to loan restructuring, insolvency, realization and recoveries. In this capacity, Bryan is particularly adept at conceiving and implementing strategies for the recovery of defaulted loans and regularly advises banking clients in relation to significant portfolios of impaired loans.
Bryan has acted for Canadian Banks, specifically Bank of Montreal and HSBC Bank Canada, and private lenders in a wide range of insolvency matters including the completion and sale of an insolvent multi-unit development projects and bank employee fraud matters including the execution of Anton Pillar orders and Mareva injunctions, among many other matters involving debt restructuring, security realization, workouts, receivership and bankruptcy.
Bryan also acts for institutional lenders and other creditors with respect to reorganizations under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act and the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act. Bryan also acts for accounting firms in their capacity as bankruptcy trustees, receivers and monitors in reorganizations.
Bryan has represented various institutional lenders in diverse realizations from hotels and condominium developments to equipment dealerships and manufacturers. Bryan is also active in the firm’s Strata Property Wind-Up Group assisting strata corporations with wind ups pursuant to the Strata Property Act.
In addition, Bryan has also represented institutional lenders with respect to a variety of debtor fraud matters.
Bryan is the current practice group leader of the Insolvency and Restructuring Group. He is the past Chair of the BC Branch (Insolvency) for the Canadian Bar Association and a past Faculty member and Presenter for Continuing Legal Education (BC Law Society) respecting creditors’ remedies.
- Canadian Bar Association, Insolvency Sub-section, British Columbia Branch, Past Chair
- BC Insolvency Discussion Group, Past Executive
Recognitions & Rankings
Recognitions & Rankings
- Chambers Canada 2023: recognized for Restructuring/Insolvency - Nationwide (Band 5)
- Martindale-Hubbell International Law Directory: BV Peer Review rated
- Acting for a major Canadian bank with respect to the completion and sale of an insolvent multi-unit development project
- Acting for a court appointed receiver manager of a large vehicle leasing company involving the tracing of missing vehicles and proceeds comingled by various corporate entities
- Acting for a major Canadian bank in a receivership and securing the dismissal of allegations by the trustee in bankruptcy that the Bank participated in a conspiracy to defeat unsecured creditors
- Acting for a major Canadian bank with respect to a bank employee fraud and the execution of Anton pillar orders and a mareva injunction
- Acting for a receiver manager of a company involving a multi-million dollar fraud by the principal
- Acting for a lender in the CCAA and receivership of the Strategic Group of Companies - a large Alberta-based real estate developer
News & Publications
News & Publications
- 43 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 17 Practice Areas in Chambers Canada 2023, Chambers Canada, September 29, 2022
- Insolvency Insider Features Successful Lawson Lundell Matter in its 'From the Courts' Newsletter, Insolvency Insider, September 12, 2022
- BC Personal Property Security Act Practice Manual - Standards of Conduct, Continuing Legal Education (BC Law Society) , 2021, Contributing Author
- BC Personal Property Security Act Practice Manual - Enforcement Steps and Practice, Continuing Legal Education (BC Law Society) , 2017, 2019, and 2021, Contributing Author
- Information About Our Experience with Strata Corporation Wind Ups, Annual, to date
- "Creditors’ Remedies 'Enforcement and Recovery'", Continuing Legal Education (BC Law Society) Conference on Creditors’ Remedies, 2010
- Commercial Insolvency Reporter, "New Developments in the CCAA" article, December 2008
- BC technical update paper and presentation, Canadian Bar Association, 2008
- “Credit and Banking Litigation”, a Toronto publication to the Banking industry, Past Contributor
- Various papers and in house presentation to bankers and credit managers with respect to insolvency issues
- Creditors, the Crown, and the CCAA: The Supreme Court of Canada Comments on Complex Commercial Reorganizations, Business Law Blog, October 5, 2021
- The B.C. Court of Appeal Weighs in on Strata Wind-Ups, Real Estate Law Blog, July 11, 2018
- The B.C. Court of Appeal Weighs in on Strata Wind-Ups, Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Blog, July 11, 2018
- 如何在24个月内失去了你的按揭抵押, 新闻中心 , March 2, 2018
- How to Lose your Mortgage Security in 24 Months!, Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Blog, February 27, 2018
- Faculty member and Presenter Continuing Legal Education (BC Law Society) Conference on Creditors’ Remedies, 2010
- Continuing Legal Education of the BC Law Society on foreclosure matters, 2009, Past Presenter
- Annual Pan-Canadian Insolvency and Restructuring Conference, 2008, Presenter
- Cailin Morrin
- Legal Assistant
- T: 604.408.5314
- British Columbia (1991)
University of British Columbia (B.Comm., 1987)
University of British Columbia (J.D., 1990)