Jennie Buchanan is an associate in the Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Group in Calgary. Jennie has a general commercial litigation practice, with a focus on commercial arbitration, employment litigation, and securities litigation. Jennie has appeared as counsel before all Alberta Courts, and the Alberta and Ontario Securities Commissions.
In her commercial arbitration practice, Jennie assists clients involved in complex construction disputes, both domestically and internationally, with a particular emphasis on energy projects. In her employment litigation practice, Jennie regularly represents employers in wrongful dismissal disputes, and has particular expertise assisting federally regulated employers in connection with monetary and unjust dismissal complaints under the Canada Labour Code.
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Calgary Bar Association, Member
Jennie has experience in the following areas:
- Representing directors, officers and issuers in enforcement proceedings before the Alberta Securities Commission.
- Assisting and representing clients involved in complex construction disputes, with a particular emphasis on energy projects.
- Representing property taxpayers in administrative hearings before property tax assessment review boards and in related judicial review proceedings.
- Providing advice with respect to employment law matters and representing both employers and employees in wrongful dismissal disputes.
- Representing parties in a broad range of contract and tort-based commercial disputes.
News & Publications
- The New Occupational Health and Safety Act, Labour and Employment Law Blog, March 4, 2021
- Changes to the Alberta Workers' Compensation Act Coming into Force on April 1, 2021, Labour and Employment Law Blog, March 1, 2021
- Alberta Court of Appeal Encourages Use of Summary Judgment Rules, Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Blog, January 4, 2021
- Alberta OH&S Legislation Changes: Is your workplace ready?, Webinar, March 17, 2021, Presenter
- Frankie Deni
- Legal Assistant
- T: 403.218.7518
- Ontario (2014)
- Alberta (2015)
- Queen’s University (J.D., 2013)
- University of Victoria (B.A., 2009)