Cory Sully is an associate in our Labour, Employment and Human Rights Group and Privacy and Data Management Group in Vancouver. She advises and represents clients in all areas of workplace law. Cory provides practical and strategic advice to clients on wide range of employment, labour, and human rights matters, such as the hiring and termination of employees, collective agreement interpretation, and the duty to accommodate. She frequently advises employers on compliance with employment standards, workers compensation, and human rights legislation. Cory also drafts and reviews various workplace agreements and policies, including employment agreements, confidentiality agreements, restrictive covenants, privacy policies, and drug and alcohol policies.
Cory’s litigation experience includes assisting clients with responding to wrongful dismissal actions, bullying and harassment complaints, and discrimination complaints. Cory has appeared before the British Columbia Provincial Court, British Columbia Supreme Court, the British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal, the British Columbia Employment Standards Branch, and the Workers Compensation Appeal Tribunal.
Cory also provides advice to clients on various privacy and data protection matters, such as responding to access to information requests and complaints before the federal and provincial privacy commissioners. Cory also has experience advising on records retention and management issues, privacy compliance, and data breach response.
- Canadian Bar Association (British Columbia branch), Executive Member, Freedom of Information & Privacy Law section
- Vancouver Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
News & Publications
News & Publications
- Section 257 of the Workers Compensation Act and Related Employment Litigation, The Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, May 2017, Author
- The Many Costs of a Rogue Employee: Are Punitive Damages One of Them?, Privacy & Data Management Blog, June 21, 2019
- Is Your Former Employee’s Release Enforceable?, Labour and Employment Law Blog, June 20, 2019
- Canada’s Digital Charter: Are Changes Coming to our Privacy Laws?, Privacy & Data Management Blog, May 28, 2019
- Do Cross-Border Data Transfers From Canada Require Consent?, Privacy & Data Management Blog, April 11, 2019
- Is Your Company’s Employee Handbook Enforceable?, Labour and Employment Law Blog, March 28, 2019
- Getting Privacy Right: BC OIPC’s “Privacy Right” Program, Privacy & Data Management Blog, March 26, 2019
- Lowering the “Creep” Factor: Canada’s New Directive on Automated Decision-Making, Privacy & Data Management Blog, March 21, 2019
- Danielle Gibbons
- Legal Assistant
- T: 604.408.5446
- British Columbia (2015)
University of British Columbia, J.D., 2014
University of British Columbia, B.A., 2010