Ritu is a member of our Labour, Employment and Human Rights Group. She is a former Vice Chair of the BC Labour Relations Board. As an experienced adjudicator, Ritu offers our clients a unique perspective on labour and employment law matters.
Ritu is also an experienced negotiator, mediator and skilled litigator with a proven track record appearing at arbitration hearings, the BC Labour Relations Board, and in Court proceedings including BC Court of Appeal.
Ritu advises on all aspects of labour and employment matters including harassment investigations and essential service disputes. Ritu also handles collective bargaining negotiations and mediation.
Ritu's experience as a Vice Chair at the BC Labour Relations Board has given her a working knowledge of the intricacies of labour and employment issues in various industries.
In addition to serving as Vice Chair of the BC Labour Relations Board, Ritu previously served as in-house counsel to a union, was a lawyer in private practice, and an instructor at the Capilano College Labour Studies program. Ritu has spoken at a number of labour law conferences and workshops.
Ritu regularly provides commentary to media on a range of labour and employment issues. She has been interviewed on legal topics by several local and national outlets, including CBC (BC and national news), CKNW, CTV National News, Canadian Press, Vancouver Sun and Toronto Star.
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
- Board of Directors of Burnaby Children's Centers Society (May 2017 - Present)
- Board of Directors of West Coast Legal Education and Action Fund (2002 - 2008, President 2006 - 2008)
News & Publications
News & Publications
- We are proud to promote six associates to the partnership, January 4, 2018
- Ritu Mahil quoted in the Benefits Canada article, "Human rights ruling on miscarriage puts employers on notice.", Benefits Canada, April 8, 2016, Interview
- Opinion: Workplaces need clear harassment policies and procedures for addressing problems, The Vancouver Sun, December 15, 2015, Author
- Ritu Mahil was interviewed by CBC National on the possibility of employees being fired for racist comments made outside of the workplace, January 21, 2015, Interview
- Discussion of sexual harassment in the workplace and what employers can do to ensure proper polices are in place to address allegations, CTV: National News, November 6, 2014
- BCTF president calls for binding arbitration in teacher strike; minister cool to proposal, Canadian Press, September 17, 2014, Interview
- Teachers ask for binding arbitration; Government wants more details before agreeing, but deal would open schools next week, Vancouver Sun, September 6, 2014
- Parties struggle for support in strike, Victoria Times Colonist, September 5, 2014, Interview
- Discussion of labour relations and the teacher's strike, CBC: The Early Edition, September 3, 2014
- "Constructive Dismissal: Should I Stay or Should I Go?", Canadian Employment Law Today, January 22, 2014, Author
- Ritu Mahil quoted in the article "A Coming of Age for Family Status", Canadian Lawyer, December 2013, Interview
- Women's Day Brings Legal Rights in Workplace Closer to Home, March 8, 2013, Author
- A Review of the Standards of Procedural Fairness in Workplace Investigations, Labour and Employment Law Blog, March 12, 2018
- Bullying and Harassment in the Workplace: Check your Policies, Labour and Employment Law Blog, January 18, 2018
- Recent Developments in Ontario in Employment and Human Rights Law, Labour and Employment Law Blog, April 14, 2016
- Supreme Court of Canada Releases Right to Strike Decision: Saskatchewan Federation of Labour v. Saskatchewan, 2015 SCC 4, Labour and Employment Law Blog, February 2, 2015
- Landmark Case on the Freedom of Association from the Supreme Court of Canada: Mounted Police Association of Ontario v. Canada (Attorney General), 2015 SCC 1, Labour and Employment Law Blog, January 19, 2015
- Union's Right to Employees' Home Contact Information from Employer Trumps Privacy Concerns, Labour and Employment Law Blog, February 11, 2014
- 2018 Annual Labour & Employment Seminar, May 29, 2018
- Vancouver Human Rights and Accommodation Conference 2017, Lancaster House, April 19 - 20, 2017, Co-Chair
- "The Need for Social Media Policies", Vancouver HR Director's Association Conference, February 3, 2017, Speaker
- "Workplace Investigations and Labour Law Update", 2016 Lawson Lundell Labour & Employment Law Seminar, June 16, 2016
- "Managing Employee Disability and Privacy", 2015 Lawson Lundell Labour & Employment Law Seminar, May 28, 2015
- "State of the Union: A Labour Arbitration Update", Vancouver, BC, April 15, 2014
- "Hot Topics in Labour Relations Law", Toronto, ON, March 24, 2014, Speaker
- "A Promise is a Promise, or is it? Estoppel in day-to-day labour relations", Labour Arbitration Conference, Lancaster House, November 20, 2013, Speaker
- "Labour Law Update for BC", 10th Annual Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers (CACE) Conference, Banff, AB, October 3 - 5, 2013
- "Latest Developments in Labour Relations (Unionized Employers)", Lawson Lundell Labour & Employment Law Seminar, June 6, 2013, Speaker
- "The Role of the Parties in Accommodation: Employer Responsibilities, Union Role and Employee Responsibilities", 8th Annual Western Canada Labour Relations Conference, Insight Information, Vancouver, BC, February 21, 2013, Speaker
- Marianna Sichova
- Legal Assistant
- T: 604.408.5446
- British Columbia (2002)
- Nunavut (2015)
University of Victoria (M.PA., 2001)
University of Victoria (LL.B., 2000)
University of Victoria (B.A., 1996)