Khaled is noted for the breadth of his mining practice, acting for domestic and international clients on transactional and operational mandates. He is noted by sources as being "phenomenal in the understanding of business and in taking the initiative in finding solutions."
- Chambers Canada, 2021 Guide
Khaled practises mining law, and is the Co-lead of the firm's Mining Group. He provides legal support for mineral exploration activities and mine development and operations. He advises on acquisitions and dispositions of mines and mining projects both domestically and around the world, mine financing, and on a broad range of mining matters, including the negotiation of earn-in, joint venture, strategic alliance, royalty and streaming agreements, and mineral title review.
Khaled also practises corporate and commercial law with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions and private equity transactions. Khaled advises clients on a broad range of transactions, both domestic and cross-border, and in many different industries, including share and asset acquisitions and divestitures, debt and equity financings and corporate structuring and reorganizations.
Khaled also advises clients in the energy sector, having significant experience dealing with contractual issues in connection with the purchase and sale of energy and other energy related transactions.
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, former Director, former at-large Trustee
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, Co-Chair of the Mining Section for the 2018 RMMLF Annual Institute
- Association for Mineral Exploration British Columbia, Member
- Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada, Member
- Canada’s Venture Capital & Private Equity Association, Member
- West Vancouver Soccer Club, Past Director and Secretary
Recognitions & Rankings
Recognitions & Rankings
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2014-2022: recognized in Mining law
- Chambers Canada 2022: recognized for Energy & Natural Resources: Mining - Nationwide (Band 3); and Energy & Natural Resources: Mining: Development and Operations - Nationwide (Band 2)
- Chambers Global 2022: recognized for Mining - International & Cross-Border (Band 3)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2022: recommended as a leading practitioner for Mining law
- Thomson Reuters "Stand-out Lawyer" 2022
- Acritas Stars 2019-2021
- Chambers Global 2019: recognized for Energy & Natural Resources: Mining (Canada)
- Who's Who Legal Canada:
- recommended in Mining (National Guide), 2015-2022
- recommended in Mining: Global Elite Thought Leader (Global Guide), 2015-2022
- Legal 500 Canada 2021-22: recommended as a Leading Individual in the Energy & Natural Resources - Mining category
- Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada 2022: recognized for Mining law
- Chambers Canada 2019: recognized in the Energy & Natural Resources: Mining (Canada) category
- Lexpert Special Edition 2018-19: Canada's Leading Corporate Lawyers
- Lexpert Special Edition: Consistently Recommended as a Leading Canadian Lawyer in Global Mining
- Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada 2017: recognized for Mining
- International Who’s Who of Mining Lawyers: recognized as being among the world's leading mining lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell International Law Directory: Peer Review rated 4.5 out of 5
Khaled has recently acted for:
- Barrick Gold Corp. on the sale of its 100% interest in the Lagunas Norte mine in Peru to Boroo Pte Ltd.
- Barrick Gold Corp. on its transaction with Skeena Resources to transfer 100% of the Eskay Creek gold-silver project located in northwest British Columbia, Canada
- New Gold Inc. (as co-counsel) on its sale of the Blackwater Project in British Columbia to Artemis Gold Inc. for $210 million and an 8% gold stream.
- New Gold Inc. (as co-counsel) on its strategic partnership with Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan whereunder Ontario Teachers’ has agreed to acquire a 46.0% free cash flow interest in the New Afton Mine with an option to convert the interest into a 46.0% joint venture interest in four years, or have its interest remain as a free cash flow interest reduced to a rate of 42.5%, for upfront cash proceeds of $300 million payable on closing.
- SSR Mining Inc. (as co-counsel) in the at-market merger of equals with Alacer Gold Corp., pursuant to a plan of arrangement under the Business Corporations Act (Yukon).
- SSR Mining Inc. on its US$230 million convertible note offering.
- The exploration group of a major international mining company advising on acquisitions and dispositions of mining projects across Canada and around the world.
- SSR Mining Inc. on the formation of a joint venture, Puna Operations Inc., with Golden Arrow Resources Corp. for the development of the Chinchillas project in Argentina, the development of the Chinchillas project and the subsequent acquisition by SSR Mining of Golden Arrow’s 25% interest in Puna Operations.
- Bathurst Resources Limited in connection with its investment in, and right to acquire up to a 50% interest in, the Crown Mountain Coking Coal Project located in British Columbia.
- SSR Mining Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Claude Resources Inc. by way of Plan of Arrangement.
- Strongbow Exploration Inc. on the acquisition of the South Crofty Tin project in Cornwall, UK.
- SSR Mining Inc. on its acquisition of the Marigold mine, a producing gold mine in Nevada, USA.
- A gold and silver developer providing ongoing legal support and advice in respect of all aspects of the developer's business including land tenure, permitting and licensing in connection with a significant project in Nunavut.
- Newmont Mining Corp. on its acquisition of Fronteer Gold Inc. including its Long-Canyon, Northumberland, and Sandman projects in Nevada for C$2.3 billion.
- Talisman Energy Inc. in connection with the sale of the Sukunka coal property, located in Northeastern British Columbia to Xstrata Coal.
- An AIM-listed corporation in connection with the acquisition of various mining interests including a mining project located in Greenland.
- A US based coal company in connection in connection with the sale of its coal mines located in British Columbia and Alberta to the Fording Coal Income Trust.
- An electric utility in the $825 million purchase of an undivided interest in a 493 MW hydro-electric dam in British Columbia and the complex operating arrangements between the electric utility and its private sector co-owner.
- Various Canadian and international private equity funds in connection with the financing, acquisition and disposition of their portfolio businesses, including:
- the acquisition of an extruded plastics business with manufacturing operations in Ontario and the United States, and the subsequent sale of that business
- the acquisition of a significant interest in a Canadian manufacturer of specialized tank trucks and trailers
- the acquisition of a packaging and printing business with operations in Ontario and the United States
- the acquisition of a specialty metals distribution and processing business with operations in Western Canada and the United States, and the subsequent sale of that business
- the acquisition of a significant interest in a manufacturer and distributor of industrial valves that serves the North American oil and gas markets
- the acquisition of an industrial supplies distribution company
- the acquisition of a well-known restaurant chain operating in Western Canada
- the acquisition of a cellulose pulp mill in British Columbia, and the subsequent sale of that business
- the acquisition of a number of agribusiness companies located in British Columbia
News & Publications
News & Publications
- 40 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Ranked Across 25 Practice Areas in 2022 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, February 25, 2022
- 15 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognised by Chambers Global 2022, Chambers Global, February 17, 2022
- Four Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognised in the 2022 Lexpert/ALM Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, Lexpert/ALM 500 Directory, January 6, 2022
- Who’s Who Legal: Mining Recognises Four Lawson Lundell Lawyers for 2022, Who's Who Legal, January 5, 2022
- Who’s Who Legal Canada 2021 Recognises 13 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Across Multiple Practice Areas, Who's Who Legal, December 6, 2021
- 12 Lawson Lundell Practice Areas Recognised in Legal 500 2022 Rankings, Legal 500, November 10, 2021
- ICLG Canada: Mining Laws & Regulations 2022, International Comparative Legal Guides, September 13, 2021
- 36 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 15 Practice Areas in Chambers Canada 2022, Chambers Canada, September 9, 2021
- 66 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 36 Practice Areas in the Best Lawyers in Canada® 2022 , Best Lawyers in Canada, August 26, 2021
- Who’s Who Legal Recognises Five Lawson Lundell Lawyers for their Banking & Mining Expertise, Who's Who Legal, March 16, 2021
- Acritas Recognises 19 Lawson Lundell Professionals as "Star Lawyers", Acritas Stars, March 8, 2021
- 13 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognised by Chambers Global 2021, Chambers Global, February 18, 2021
- Ten Lawson Lundell Practice Areas Recognised in Legal 500 2021 Rankings, Legal 500, December 1, 2020
- ICLG Canada: Mining Laws & Regulations 2021, International Comparative Legal Guides, September 14, 2020
- 58 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 34 Practice Areas in the Best Lawyers in Canada® 2021 , Best Lawyers in Canada® 2021 Edition, August 27, 2020
- Acritas Recognises Lawson Lundell Professionals as "Star Lawyers" , Acritas Stars, April 17, 2020
- 10 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognised by Chambers Global 2020, Chambers Global , February 24, 2020
- Who’s Who Legal Releases its Mining and Banking Rankings for 2020, Who's Who Legal, January 24, 2020
- Canada Chapter: The International Comparative Legal Guide to Mining Law 2020, Global Legal Group, 7th edition, October 7, 2019, Co-author
- 34 Lawson Lundell Lawyers recognized across 17 practice areas in Chambers Canada 2020, Chambers Canada, 2020 Edition, September 19, 2019
- 53 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 32 Practice Areas in The Best Lawyers in Canada® 2020, The Best Lawyers in Canada® 2020 Edition, August 21, 2019
- 29 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Ranked Across 19 Practice Areas in 2019 Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory, © Thomson Reuters Canada Limited, Lexpert Directory 2019, April 18, 2019
- Acritas Recognises Lawson Lundell Professionals as "Star Lawyers" , Acritas Stars, March 19, 2019
- 9 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized by Chambers Global 2019, Chambers Global, February 14, 2019
- Canada Chapter: The International Comparative Legal Guide to Mining Law 2019 , Global Legal Group, 6th Edition, October 1, 2018, Co-Author
- 31 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Ranked in Chambers Canada 2019, Chambers Canada , 2019 Edition, September 21, 2018
- 50 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 33 Practice Areas in The Best Lawyers in Canada® 2019, The Best Lawyers in Canada® , 13th Edition, August 21, 2018
- 30 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Ranked in Chambers Canada 2018, Chambers & Partners, September 28, 2017
- Canada Chapter: The International Comparative Legal Guide to Mining Law 2018, Global Legal Group, Co-author
- Canada Chapter: The International Comparative Legal Guide to Mining Law 2017, September 5, 2016, , Co-author
- "Commentary: Tapped resources - Water use and its impact on mining in Canada", The Northern Miner, January 19, 2016, Co-author
- “Polar Mining: The Next Frontier”, Resource World, April 2014
- "Digging For Relief: Restructuring Laws Helping Fill Financial Holes in Canada's Mining Sector", Business in Vancouver, December 10, 2013, Co-author
- Mining report: PDAC's appeal to B.C.-based mining firms, April 30, 2013, Author
- "The Reemergence of Strategic Alliances in Mineral Exploration", February 13, 2013, Author
- Khaled Abdel-Barr quoted in The Financial Post, "Mining lawyers bullish on next year", December 12, 2012, Interview
- "Supreme Court of Yukon Considers Duty to Consult and “Free Entry” Mining System", December 9, 2011, Co-author
- Yukon Court Awards Premium in Fair Value Determination - A Comment on Carlock v. ExxonMobil Canada Holdings ULC, Business Law Blog, March 14, 2019
- Supreme Court of Yukon Considers Duty to Consult and Free Entry Mining System, Environmental, Indigenous and Natural Resources Blog, December 10, 2011
- "Understanding Royalty Structures, Royalty Financing and Streaming Arrangements", January 23, 2015, Co-Presenter
- "Joint Venture and Shareholders’ Agreements", The Osgoode Certificate in Mining Law Program, Osgoode Hall Law School, Toronto, ON (February 21, 2012), Lecturer
- Chris Robertson
- Legal Assistant
- T: 604.408.5304
- Northwest Territories (2016)
- Yukon (2016)
- Nunavut (2012)
- British Columbia (1996)
- Washington State (1995) - currently non-practising
University of British Columbia (B.Comm., 1992)
University of Windsor (LL.B., 1995)
University of Detroit-Mercy (J.D., 1995)