Katy Allen is an associate in the Labour, Employment and Human Rights Group in Vancouver. She advises and represents clients regarding a broad range of issues relating to labour, employment, employment standards, human rights, and privacy law. She also assists clients with drafting and interpreting employment agreements (ranging from agreements for hourly employees to executive compensation plans) and providing input on a wide variety of employment and labour related issues in business transactions.
Katy has assisted clients with matters being litigated at all levels of court and has appeared before the British Columbia Employment Standards Branch, Human Rights Tribunal, Labour Relations Board, Provincial Court, Supreme Court, and Court of Appeal. Katy’s litigation experience includes disputes relating to wrongful dismissal, labour arbitrations including terminations for just cause, executive compensation, interpretation of collective agreements, post-employment competition, employment standards and human rights.
Katy has a particular interest in human rights law in the context of employment and advises clients on issues emerging from employee use of medical marijuana and the impending legalization of marijuana.
Katy runs our Labour and Employment Blog, drafts and presents papers on current legal issues at the Group’s annual client conference and has prepared papers and presentations for external forums. She often runs training programs for clients relating to accommodation of disabilities in the workplace, and respectful workplace policies.
Katy clerked at the British Columbia Supreme Court in 2012-13, where she worked with six judges. She obtained a B.Sc. from the University of British Columbia in 2008 and a J.D. from the University of British Columbia in 2012, where she was the recipient of several awards based on academic excellence. Her academic accolades include a summer fellowship in 2010 where she participated in legal research relating to the remediation of a mine site.
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
News & Publications
News & Publications
- Nicole Skuggedal and Katy Allen's article featured in Canadian Employment Law Today, Canadian Employment Law Today, newsletter in Canadian HR Reporter, May 15, 2018, Co-Author
- BC Human Rights Code Amended to Include "Gender Identity and Expression", July 26, 2016, Author
- Class Action for Workplace Sexual Harassment Allowed to Proceed, Labour and Employment Law Blog, May 10, 2018
- Employment Standards Amendments, Labour and Employment Law Blog, April 10, 2018
- A Review of the Standards of Procedural Fairness in Workplace Investigations, Labour and Employment Law Blog, March 12, 2018
- Update: Alberta’s Court of Appeal Upholds Decision re: Suncor Random Drug Testing, Labour and Employment Law Blog, March 2, 2018
- New Civil Cause of Action for Whistleblower Reprisals, Business Law Blog, February 6, 2018
- Weinstein, #TimesUp, #MeToo, #WhyWeWearBlack: a Top-Down Approach to Promoting Respectful Workplace Culture, Labour and Employment Law Blog, January 8, 2018
- SCC Expands Employment Protection Under BC Human Rights Code, Labour and Employment Law Blog, December 15, 2017
- Suncor Random Drug Testing Blocked: Decision, Labour and Employment Law Blog, December 11, 2017
- Suncor Random Drug Testing Blocked, Labour and Employment Law Blog, December 7, 2017
- Ontario: The Fair Workplaces, Better Jobs Act, 2017, Labour and Employment Law Blog, December 4, 2017
- BC Human Rights Code Amended to Include "Gender Identity and Expression", Labour and Employment Law Blog, July 26, 2016
- Manitoba Employment Standards Legislation to Include Leave, Labour and Employment Law Blog, April 12, 2016
- Federal Government Passes Union Spending Bill, Bill C-377, Labour and Employment Law Blog, July 3, 2015
- Suspension held to Constitute Constructive Dismissal: Potter v. New Brunswick Legal Aid Services Commission, 2015 SCC 10, Labour and Employment Law Blog, March 10, 2015
- Supreme Court of Canada Releases Right to Strike Decision: Saskatchewan Federation of Labour v. Saskatchewan, 2015 SCC 4, Labour and Employment Law Blog, February 2, 2015
- Landmark Case on the Freedom of Association from the Supreme Court of Canada: Mounted Police Association of Ontario v. Canada (Attorney General), 2015 SCC 1, Labour and Employment Law Blog, January 19, 2015
- 2018 Annual Labour & Employment Seminar, May 29, 2018
- "Workplace Investigations and Labour Law Update", 2016 Lawson Lundell Labour & Employment Law Seminar, June 16, 2016
- Latest Developments in Labour Relations (Unionized Employers), 2015 Lawson Lundell Labour & Employment Law Seminar, May 28, 2015
- Maria Cruz
- Legal Assistant
- T: 604.408.5339
- British Columbia (2014)
University of British Columbia (J.D.)
University of British Columbia (B.Sc.)