Jag practises in the area of corporate and commercial law. He works primarily with private companies, partnerships and trusts on a variety of transactions, including asset/share acquisitions and dispositions, fund and joint venture investments, corporation restructurings, management buy-outs and various other commercial arrangements (including the negotiation of asset and investment management agreements, franchise and license agreements and shareholder and limited partnership agreements).
A large part of Jag’s practice is devoted to working with institutional clients in the public sector, particularly pension plans, other tax-exempt entities and their fiduciaries, with respect to their structuring activities and their real estate, infrastructure and private equity investments, including joint ventures, co-investments and fund investments. As part of his work with public sector institutions, Jag has assisted clients with investments in Canada, the United States, Europe, Asia and South America. In this regard, he has worked extensively in the negotiation and settlement of limited partnership agreements, shareholder agreements, side letters, subscription agreements and other types of investment and governance agreements.
Jag has also acted for a number of private equity firms in connection with their investment activities, including the ultimate sale and disposition of their portfolio companies.
With respect to corporate structuring work, Jag oversees Lawson Lundell’s corporate services paralegal group and is frequently involved in various cross-border reorganization transactions. In this regard, Jag frequently assists counsel in other jurisdictions on matters of British Columbia and Canadian law, chiefly in the area of mergers, acquisitions, arrangements, amalgamations and other corporate proceedings.
- Board Member, University of Victoria Foundation
- Chair, Surrey Board of Trade - Development and Land Use Advocacy Team
- Member, South Asian Bar Association of British Columbia
- Past Director, Surrey Board of Trade
- Past Member, Surrey Board of Trade - International Trade Team
- Past Member, Board of the College of Podiatric Surgeons of BC
Recognitions & Rankings
Recognitions & Rankings
- Lexology 2021 Client Choice award winner: General Corporate - Canada
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2015-2023: recognized for Corporate Law (2015-2023), and Corporate Governance Practice (2022-2023)
- Recipient of Lexology Client Choice Award 2018: Canada for General Corporate in British Columbia.
- Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada 2016: recognized as one of the "Corporate Lawyers to Watch"
- 2015 Lexpert Rising Star Award: recognized as one of Canada's Leading Lawyers under 40
Jag has acted for:
- Various large public sector pension funds with respect to all aspects of their investment and structuring activities (including with respect to their real estate, infrastructure and private equity investments).
- Institutional investors with respect to the negotiation and settlement of investment and asset management agreements.
- Various hotel and casino owners with respect to the negotiation and settlement of hotel management, franchise and licensing agreements with a number of global hotel brands.
- Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers Incorporated in connection with its acquisition of Kramer Auctions.
- Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers Incorporated, in acquiring the remaining 49% interest in Ritchie Bros. Financial Services Ltd. from a minority shareholder group.
- Burger King Worldwide, Inc., as British Columbia counsel, in connection with its acquisition of Tim Hortons Inc. for approximately US $12.5 billion, including with respect to acquisition structuring and a related private placement of US $2.25 billion of second lien secured notes.
- A management group in respect of a management buyout of a technology company, and the subsequent sale of such company to a strategic investor.
- A private equity firm in connection with the financing and ultimate sale of a cellulose mill in British Columbia.
- A private equity firm in connection with the acquisition of a specialty metals distribution and processing business with operations in Western Canada and the United States, and the subsequent sale of that business.
News & Publications
News & Publications
- 70 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 37 Practice Areas in the Best Lawyers in Canada 2023 , Best Lawyers in Canada, August 25, 2022
- Jagdeep Shergill Named a Lexology 2021 Client Choice Award Winner , Lexology, October 14, 2021
- 66 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 36 Practice Areas in the Best Lawyers in Canada® 2022 , Best Lawyers in Canada, August 26, 2021
- 58 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 34 Practice Areas in the Best Lawyers in Canada® 2021 , Best Lawyers in Canada® 2021 Edition, August 27, 2020
- 53 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 32 Practice Areas in The Best Lawyers in Canada® 2020, The Best Lawyers in Canada® 2020 Edition, August 21, 2019
- 50 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 33 Practice Areas in The Best Lawyers in Canada® 2019, The Best Lawyers in Canada® , 13th Edition, August 21, 2018
- "B.C. Introduces a New Law to Govern Non-profit Societies", Surrey Business News, April - May 2016, April 2016, Co-author
- "In Business with Others? The Benefits of Putting in place a Shareholder Agreement", Business In Surrey, Surrey Board of Trade, September 2013, Author
- Amendments to the Business Corporations Act Permit Virtual Meetings in British Columbia, Business Law Blog, June 1, 2021
- 不列颠哥伦比亚省公司“透明信息注册要求”推迟 , 新闻中心 , April 9, 2020
- Transparency Register Requirements for B.C. Companies Postponed, Business Law Blog, April 9, 2020
- BC Government Proposes Amendments to the Societies Act, Business Law Blog, August 7, 2019
- 《不列颠哥伦比亚省商业公司法》（BCBCA）修正案要求该省公司进行透明度登记, 新闻中心 , June 12, 2019
- BCBCA Amendments Require BC Companies to Keep Transparency Register, Business Law Blog, June 10, 2019
- CBCA Amendments in the 2019 Federal Budget - A Continued Focus on Governance, Business Law Blog, April 15, 2019
- 受CBCA管辖的公司须登记实益所有权, 新闻中心 , February 5, 2019
- CBCA Corporations Required To Track Beneficial Ownership, Business Law Blog, January 30, 2019
- The New British Columbia Societies Act, Business Law Blog, February 12, 2016
- Bill 24 - The New British Columbia Societies Act, Business Law Blog, May 20, 2015
- Lisa Kinneard
- Legal Assistant
- T: 604.408.5398
- British Columbia (2003)
University of British Columbia (B.A., 1998)
University of Victoria (LL.B., 2001)