Jag practises corporate and commercial law. He works primarily with partnerships and private companies on a variety of transactions, including asset/share acquisitions and dispositions, corporate finance matters, the negotiation of commercial agreements (including supply agreements, lease and license agreements, employment contracts, franchise and management agreements and shareholder agreements), succession planning/exits, management buy-outs, corporate reorganizations and restructuring. Jag also acts for both hotel owners and hotel licensors/franchisors with respect to the drafting and negotiation of hotel management agreements, hotel franchising/licensing agreements and related documents.
As part of his corporate and commercial practice, Jag acts for a variety of private equity firms in connection with their investment activities. He also participates in the ongoing maintenance and affairs of companies acquired by private equity clients, including the ultimate sale and disposition of their portfolio companies.
In addition, Jag works with clients in the public sector, particularly pension plans, other tax exempt entities and their fiduciaries, with respect to their structuring activities and their real estate and private placement investments, including co-investments. As part of his work with public sector institutions, Jag has assisted clients with investments in Canada, the United States, Europe and South America. In this regard, he has worked extensively in the negotiation and settlement of limited partnership agreements, shareholder agreements, side letters and other types of investment and governance agreements.
Jag also assists counsel in other jurisdictions on matters of British Columbia law, chiefly in the area of mergers, acquisitions and corporate reorganizations.
Internally at the firm, Jag is the Partner in charge of the Corporate Records/Services group, overseeing a group of 9 paralegals and 3 corporate clerks. Through this role, Jag often assists counsel in other jurisdictions on matters of British Columbia law, chiefly in the area of corporate procedure, mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations.
- Board Member, University of Victoria Foundation
- Chair, Surrey Board of Trade - Development and Land Use Advocacy Team
- Member, South Asian Bar Association of British Columbia
- Past Director, Surrey Board of Trade
- Past Member, Surrey Board of Trade - International Trade Team
- Past Member, Board of the College of Podiatric Surgeons of BC
Recognitions & Rankings
Recognitions & Rankings
- Best Lawyers in Canada: recognized for Corporate Law
- 2015 Lexpert Rising Star Award: recognized as one of Canada's Leading Lawyers under 40
- Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada 2016: recognized as one of the "Corporate Lawyers to Watch"
- Recipient of Lexology Client Choice Award 2018: Canada for General Corporate in British Columbia.
Jag has acted for:
- Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers Incorporated (Ritchie Bros.) in connection with its acquisition of Kramer Auctions
- Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers Incorporated (Ritchie Bros.), in acquiring the remaining 49% interest in Ritchie Bros. Financial Services Ltd. (RBFS) from a minority shareholder group. The transaction involved cash consideration of $53.9 million, together with additional compensation that may be payable to the vendor, contingent upon certain operating performance targets being achieved over the next three years
- Burger King Worldwide, Inc., as British Columbia counsel, in connection with its acquisition of Tim Hortons Inc. for approximately US $12.5 billion, including with respect to acquisition structuring and a related private placement of US $2.25 billion of second lien secured notes
- A management group in respect of a management buyout of a technology company
- A private equity firm in connection with the financing of a cellulose mill in British Columbia
- A private equity firm in connection with the acquisition of a specialty metals distribution and processing business with operations in Western Canada and the United States, and the subsequent sale of that business
- A public sector institution with the acquisition and subsequent reorganization of a large publicly traded real estate investment trust
- A private equity firm in connection with the acquisition of a leading tank trailer manufacturing business
News & Publications
News & Publications
- 50 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 33 Practice Areas in The Best Lawyers in Canada® 2019, The Best Lawyers in Canada® , 13th Edition, August 21, 2018
- "B.C. Introduces a New Law to Govern Non-profit Societies", Surrey Business News, April - May 2016, April 2016, Co-author
- "In Business with Others? The Benefits of Putting in place a Shareholder Agreement", Business In Surrey, Surrey Board of Trade, September 2013, Author
- 《不列颠哥伦比亚省商业公司法》（BCBCA）修正案要求该省公司进行透明度登记, 新闻中心 , June 12, 2019
- BCBCA Amendments Require BC Companies to Keep Transparency Register, Business Law Blog, June 10, 2019
- CBCA Amendments in the 2019 Federal Budget - A Continued Focus on Governance, Business Law Blog, April 15, 2019
- 受CBCA管辖的公司须登记实益所有权, 新闻中心 , February 5, 2019
- CBCA Corporations Required To Track Beneficial Ownership, Business Law Blog, January 30, 2019
- The New British Columbia Societies Act, Business Law Blog, February 12, 2016
- Bill 24 - The New British Columbia Societies Act, Business Law Blog, May 20, 2015
- Lisa Kinneard
- Legal Assistant
- T: 604.408.5398
- British Columbia (2003)
University of British Columbia (B.A., 1998)
University of Victoria (LL.B., 2001)