Gillian has a broad corporate and securities law practice, focusing on mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance. Gillian advises clients on a variety of domestic and international transactions, including public and private acquisitions and divestitures, debt and equity financings and corporate reorganizations. In addition to transactional work, Gillian regularly advises clients on complex commercial agreements and securities regulatory matters, including continuous disclosure obligations.
Prior to joining Lawson Lundell, Gillian practiced at a leading Canadian law firm in Toronto.
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Guest Lecturer on Mergers and Acquisitions, Peter A. Allard School of Law, UBC (2018 – Present)
- Highlands Early Learning Centre, Board Member
Recognitions & Rankings
Recognitions & Rankings
- Thomson Reuters "Stand-out Lawyer" 2022
- Acritas Stars 2019-2021
- Counsel to BDC Capital Inc., the investment arm of the Business Development Bank of Canada, in connection with its equity investment in a number of cleantech companies.
- Counsel to Hub International Limited on multiple acquisitions of Canadian insurance brokerages, including TRG Group Benefits & Pensions Inc.
- Counsel to SSR Mining Inc. on its C$337 million acquisition of Claude Resources Inc. by way of a plan of arrangement.
- Counsel to Vancity Community Investment Bank on its acquisition of CoPower Inc., an issuer of green bonds.
- Counsel to SSR Mining Inc. on its US$230 million convertible note offering.
- Counsel to B2Gold Corp. on its US$100 million at-the-market offering in Canada and the United States.
- Counsel to SSR Mining Inc. on the formation of a joint venture with Golden Arrow Resources Corp. for the development of the Chinchillas project in Argentina.
- Advising British Columbia’s largest bulk terminal on a range of activities, including drafting commercial contracts.
- Counsel to an intermediate mining company on its sale of certain exploration properties in Peru and Argentina.
- Counsel to a syndicate of underwriters led by BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc. and CIBC World Markets Inc. on the C$228 million initial public offering of Milestone Apartment Real Estate Investment Trust, the first initial public offering in the world of a qualifying U.S. real estate investment trust by a non-U.S. entity.
- Counsel to a syndicate of agents led by Scotia Capital Inc., BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc., CIBC World Markets Inc., National Bank Financial Inc. and TD Securities Inc. on TMX Group Limited’s private placement of C$1 billion principal amount of debentures.
- Counsel to a syndicate of underwriters led by Canaccord Genuity Corp. and National Bank Financial Inc. in connection with the C$121 million initial public offering of HealthLease Properties Real Estate Investment Trust.
- Counsel to a syndicate of dealers led by BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc. on the renewal of the Greater Toronto Airport Authority’s C$1.5 billion medium-term note program and certain ongoing obligations under the dealer agreement.
- Counsel to Xceed Mortgage Corporation on its C$53 million acquisition by MCAN Mortgage Corporation by way of a plan of arrangement.
News & Publications
News & Publications
- Acritas Recognises 19 Lawson Lundell Professionals as "Star Lawyers", Acritas Stars, March 8, 2021
- Acritas Recognises Lawson Lundell Professionals as "Star Lawyers" , Acritas Stars, April 17, 2020
- Lawson Lundell Welcomes Seven New Partners, January 2, 2020
- Acritas Recognises Lawson Lundell Professionals as "Star Lawyers" , Acritas Stars, March 19, 2019
- Amendments to the CBCA Effective August 31, 2022: Election of Directors and Shareholder Proposals, Business Law Blog, April 8, 2022
- CSA Provides Updated Guidance on Virtual Shareholder Meetings, Business Law Blog, March 4, 2022
- Canadian Securities Administrators Adopt New Non-GAAP and Other Financial Measures Disclosure Requirements, Business Law Blog, February 24, 2022
- Matters to Consider for the 2022 Annual General Meeting and Proxy Season, Business Law Blog, February 24, 2022
- CSA Announces Proposed National Instrument Governing Disclosure of Non-GAAP and Other Financial Measures , Business Law Blog, September 10, 2018
- Social Media and Reporting Issuers, Business Law Blog, August 10, 2018
- 'A Changing Practice: Defining Your Own Path to Success in Law,' Canadian Bar Association and Vancouver Bar Association, Presenter, 2019
- Lisa Navarrete
- Legal Assistant
- T: 604.408.5427
- British Columbia (2015)
- Law Society of Upper Canada (2012)
University of Toronto, (J.D. Hons., 2011)
Queen’s University (B.A. Hons., with distinction, 2007)