Gareth is a partner with our Tax Group. He brings more than 15 years of tax experience to the group having worked at Deloitte & Touche LLP, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP and as the Director of Tax for a private real estate company.
Gareth obtained his legal education in the UK prior to coming to Canada in 2003.
He advises clients in various industries including mining, forestry and real estate, from large private BC-based companies to international public companies. He has in-depth experience of oil & gas taxation, serving large multinational clients in this area. Gareth also provides tax advice to Canadian pension plans in connection with their investments and divestments both inside and outside of Canada.
- Canadian Tax Foundation, Member
- CICA In-Depth Tax Course, Tutor (2007-2013)
- Advisor to Canadian public and private sector pension plans, government investment entities with respect to investments in various domestic and international private equity, infrastructure and debt funds.
- Advising pension plans other institutional investors on outbound investment into Australia, the UK and continental Europe, the United States and India.
- Tax structuring for inbound investment in Canada, typically from Hong Kong, China or the United States.
- Advising a Canadian oil and natural gas company in relation to pension and tax issues for both registered and supplemental pension arrangements involving cross-border transfer of employees
- Providing a group insurance program with substantial tax and governance structuring advice in conjunction with their health and welfare trust status and third party administration functions
- Representing a large international company in the acquisition of property from a petroleum company and providing assistance with respect to commercial matters, Canadian tax, governmental compliance and other specific issues
- Advising a Canadian developer on tax structuring, real estate and financing matters in respect to a large development project and providing tax and structuring advice in respect to a new investment program in the United States
- Advising a Canadian financial planner with regard to key tax considerations including complying with Canadian tax, pension, and regulatory rules; managing tax and reputational risk; and ensuring its pension assets do not become subject to foreign taxation
News & Publications
News & Publications
- Briefing Note – Minister of National Revenue v. BP Canada Energy Company, April 11, 2017, Co-author
- 2017 Federal Budget: Key Tax Changes, Business Law Blog, March 22, 2017
- BC Budget Update - Corporate Tax Cut, Business Law Blog, February 3, 2017
- BP Canada: Uncertain Tax Positions and the Importance of Maintaining Privilege, Business Law Blog, September 6, 2015
- Tax Court Concludes that Zoning Costs for a Rental Property are Deductible, Real Estate Law Blog, May 7, 2015
- BC Budget Update - Hidden Treasure, Business Law Blog, February 18, 2015
- Envision: Implications for Canadian Corporations Contemplating a Merger, Business Law Blog, September 27, 2013
- “Various Aspects of Control, Including De Facto Control,” Canadian Tax Foundation, BC Tax Conference, Vancouver, September 29, 2015, Co-Presenter
- "CLE TV: Tax Aspects of EU Law” CLE TV, Vancouver, September 23, 2015, Co-Presenter
- Cherry Pheasey
- Legal Assistant
- T: 604.408.5366
- British Columbia (2015)
University of Oxford (MSc in Taxation, 2020, Distinction)
Birkbeck College, University of London (LL.B., 2002)
The College of Law, London (Diploma, Legal Practice, 2003)
CICA In-Depth Tax Course (2006)