Clara practices primarily in the area of energy and regulatory law with a focus on public utility regulation and administrative law. She advises private sector, public sector and government clients on a broad range of matters before regulatory boards and the courts including, market rules and compliance, rate design, regulatory requirements and facilities applications.
Clara has appeared as counsel before administrative tribunals in BC, Alberta and the Northwest Territories and regularly assists clients in proceedings before the British Columbia Utilities Commission and Alberta Utilities Commission. Clara also acts for clients with respect to matters before the BC Oil and Gas Commission and National Energy Board.
Clara has appeared at all levels of the Alberta court, including numerous matters before the Alberta and BC Court of Appeal. Clara has trial experience and participated as counsel at a Coroner's Inquest in the Northwest Territories.
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Law Society of Alberta, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- Counsel to BC Hydro on the purchase of Teck Resources Limited’s two-third interest in the Waneta Dam
- Counsel to BC Hydro on various regulatory issues and its most recent rate design application
- Counsel to BC Hydro in successfully opposing an application for leave to appeal certain aspects of the BC Utilities Commission’s decision setting rates for the utility’s customers (BCOAPO v. BC Utilities Commission, 2017 BCCA 400)
- Counsel to a large electric utility in disputes before the BC Oil and Gas Commission and the Oil and Gas Appeal Tribunal regarding risks associated with certain oil and gas-related activities
- Counsel to parties before the Alberta Utilities Commission in relation to a complaint by Milner Power of the Alberta electric system operator’s loss factor rule and methodology
- Counsel to Powerex Corp. before the Alberta Court of Appeal with respect to a number of permission to appeal applications in respect of decisions by the Alberta Utilities Commission in the Milner Complaint
- Counsel to Powerex Corp. before the Alberta Utilities Commission with respect to an application by the Alberta Market Surveillance Administrator regarding the publication by the AESO of the Historical Trading Report
- Brooke Glover
- Legal Assistant
- T: 604.408.5318
- Alberta (2009)
- Northwest Territories (2009)
- British Columbia (2011)
University of British Columbia (B.A., 2001)
Queen’s University (Masters of Public Administration, 2004)
University of Alberta (LL.B., 2008)