Chip Johnston is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions group. His practice focuses on public and private acquisitions and equity financings, primarily with clients in the oil and gas sector. Chip acts for financial and strategic investors, management teams and public companies.
He has a strong interest in the use of work methods designed to provide high-quality and efficient legal services, primarily through close collaboration with clients and internal teams.
Chip clerked at the Court of Appeal of Alberta before being called to the Alberta Bar.
- Law Society of Alberta, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Associate, Member
Recognitions & Rankings
Recognitions & Rankings
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2018 as a leading lawyer in Corporate Mid-Market and Private Equity
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2019 in Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Securities Law and Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2017 in Energy
- Who’s Who Legal: M&A and Governance 2016, Who’s Who Legal: Energy 2017, Who’s Who Legal 100 2016, The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers 2013
- Lexpert/ROB Special Edition: Canada’s Leading Corporate Lawyers, May 2017
- Lexpert/ROB Special Edition: Canada's Leading Energy Lawyers, September 2018
Chip's representative experience includes the following:
- First Reserve in its US$75M preferred equity investment into the wholly-owned operating subsidiary of PetroShale Inc. and in its follow-on investment into common shares of PetroShale Inc.
- RimRock Oil & Gas in its purchase of US$500M of assets from Whiting Petroleum Corporation, and its initial equity funding by Warburg Pincus.
- EV Private Equity in its investment in Evolution Engineering Inc.
- Edge Natural Resources, Quantum Energy Partners, First Reserve Corporation and Riverstone Holdings in connection with certain investments in Canada.
- Teine Energy Ltd. in its C$975M acquisition of Viking light oil and heavy oil properties located in South Western Saskatchewan.
- National Oilwell Varco, Inc. in its C$53.5M acquisition of the global completion tools business of Trican Well Service Ltd.
- FMC Technologies Inc., with the sale of its wireline operations to Reliance OFS Holdings LLC.
- Canamax Energy Ltd. with its going private transaction with a group consisting of Edge Natural Resources LLC, Canamax senior management and certain Canamax shareholders for a transaction value of approximately $82M, by way of plan of arrangement.
- Altura Energy Inc. (formerly Northern Spirit Resources Inc.) in connection with its reorganization and investment agreement for (i) a non-brokered private placement for proceeds of approximate $25M (ii) the appointment of a new management team and (iii) a rights offering to current holders of common shares.
- Canamax Energy Ltd. in its acquisition of all of the issued and outstanding common shares of Powder Mountain Energy Ltd., by way of a plan of arrangement, for C$27.6M worth of Canamax shares.
- Riverstone Investment Group and Niska Gas Storage Partners, as Canadian counsel, in the purchase of all of Niska’s outstanding common units by Brookfield Infrastructure and its institutional partners, as part of a transaction valued at approximately US$912M including the assumption of debt.
- Pine Brook Road Partners in connection with Gulf Pine Energy Partners, L.P.’s acquisition of the US operating assets of Dixie Energy Trust for US$47.5M.
- Journey Energy in its $176M acquisition of assets from a senior exploration and production company.
- Journey Energy Inc. in the aggregate C$198M initial public offering and secondary offering by Infra-PSP Partners Inc.
- Pine Brook Road Partners, LLC in its investment in Saguaro Resources Ltd. and Serafina Energy.
- SCF Partners Inc. in its investment in Variperm Energy Services.
- A syndicate of agents in connection with Talisman Energy Inc.’s renewal of its aggregate C$1B medium term note shelf program.
- Ferus Natural Gas Fuels in connection with its joint venture with ENN Canada Corporation to construct, own and operate two LNG liquefaction plants.
- Rockwater Energy Solutions in connection with its acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Poseidon Concepts Corp., pursuant to insolvency proceedings.
- Galway Resources in its acquisition by AUX for approximately US$270M.
- FMC Technologies, Inc. in its C$282M acquisition of Pure Energy Services Ltd.
- Ferus LNG in connection with its spin-out from Ferus Inc. and the establishment of an LNG-production joint venture with Encana.
- Andylan Capital in connection with the establishment of its initial fund (the only dedicated shareholder activist fund in Canada).
- Karen Quinn
- Legal Assistant
- T: 403.218.7513
- Alberta (1996)
- Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B., 1995)
- University of Calgary (Honours B.A. First Class, 1992)