Chat has a broad corporate and securities law practice, with a particular focus on mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and corporate finance. Chat advises clients on a wide range of domestic and international transactions, including public and private acquisitions and divestitures, raising capital and corporate reorganizations. In addition to transactional work, Chat assists companies with their corporate governance and continuous disclosure obligations and advises on general corporate law.
Always abreast of the latest developments in his areas of practice, Chat has authored numerous client briefings and articles for legal publications, and writes frequently on emerging trends in corporate governance and corporate law, including in the areas of corporate purpose, sustainability, and “environmental, social and governance” matters.
Chat teaches Corporate Transactions for Osgoode Hall Law School’s professional LLM program, and was nominated in 2020 for an excellence in teaching award.
Chat was called to the Ontario bar in 2008 and to the British Columbia bar in 2016. Prior to joining Lawson Lundell, Chat was an equity partner of a premier Canadian law firm based in Toronto.
- World Services Group: North American Regional Council, Member
- Bikes Without Borders, Board Member (2010 - 2015)
- Cycling, skiing and various outdoor pursuits
- Guitar and mandolin
Recognitions & Rankings
Recognitions & Rankings
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2021: recognized in Corporate Governance Practice, and Corporate Law
A number of major transactions in which Chat has been involved are not published here at the request of clients. The following are some representative examples of recent experience:
- Transaction counsel for certain portfolio companies of Brookfield in acquisitions in the building services and service station industries.
- British Columbia counsel to Brookfield Infrastructure Debt Fund, the purchaser’s lender in connection with the divestiture of Ridley Terminals Inc. by Canada Development Investment Corporation
- Transaction counsel for Callidus Capital Corporation in its divestiture of certain forestry assets in Western Canada.
- Transaction counsel for Vancity Community Investment Bank in its acquisition of CoPower Inc., an issuer of green bonds.
- Transaction counsel for B2Gold Corp. in its divestiture of certain mines and properties in Central America.
- Transaction counsel for Hub International Limited in acquisitions of certain Canadian insurance brokerages, including TRG Group Benefits & Pensions Inc. and i3 Underwriting Managers Inc.
- Regularly advises major U.S. and international private equity funds on Canadian and British Columbia matters in going-private transactions in various industries.
- Advised a major Canadian institutional investor on a $750 million exempt distribution of rated notes.
- Regularly acts for numerous U.S. and Canadian purchasers in both strategic and private equity acquisitions in Canada and internationally
- Has advised major U.S. and international private equity funds on Canadian and British Columbia matters in high profile going-private transactions in various industries
- Advised a major Canadian institutional investor on a $750 million exempt distribution of rated notes
- Provided M&A and securities law advice on the sale of a business into the qualifying transaction of a TSX-listed SPAC
News & Publications
News & Publications
- Valerie Mann & Chat Ortved Interviewed by Canadian Lawyer Magazine About Benefit Companies, Canadian Lawyer, October 2, 2020
- Chat Ortved & Valerie Mann's Article on Stakeholder Capitalism Published by Corporate Knights, Corporate Knights, September 14, 2020
- 58 Lawson Lundell Lawyers Recognized Across 34 Practice Areas in the Best Lawyers in Canada® 2021 , Best Lawyers in Canada® 2021 Edition, August 27, 2020
- Matters to Consider for the 2020 Annual General Meeting and Proxy Season, January 27, 2020
- Corporate Governance and Directors' Duties in Canada: Overview, Thomson Reuters Practical Law Global Guide 2017/2018, May 2018, Co-Author
- Stuart Breen, Chat Ortved and Michael Li featured in The Northern Miner , The Northern Miner, MARCH 5-18, 2018 / VOL. 104 ISSUE 5, March 6, 2018, Co-Author
- Matters to Consider for the 2018 Annual General Meeting and Proxy Season, January 30, 2018
- 不列颠哥伦比亚省共益公司（Benefit Company）立法生效 , 新闻中心 , June 12, 2020
- Benefit Company Legislation Comes Into Force in British Columbia, Business Law Blog, June 10, 2020
- 可持续性、抗风险能力和公开披露 , 新闻中心 , May 26, 2020
- CSA Announce Further Relief and Guidance in Response to COVID-19, Business Law Blog, May 25, 2020
- Sustainability, Resilience and Public Disclosure in Canada - LEEFF Grows From a Larger Trend, Business Law Blog, May 14, 2020
- Government Responses to Covid-19 for Businesses, Business Law Blog, April 6, 2020
- 政府面对新冠病毒肺炎为帮助企业而作出的回应 , 新闻中心 , April 6, 2020
- CSA Provides Blanket Relief for Market Participants Due to COVID-19, Business Law Blog, March 24, 2020
- Governing a Corporation in the Time of COVID-19, Business Law Blog, March 23, 2020
- CSA to Provide Blanket Relief for Market Participants Due to COVID-19, Business Law Blog, March 19, 2020
- Matters to Consider for the 2020 Annual General Meeting and Proxy Season, Business Law Blog, January 28, 2020
- Diversity and Corporate Governance - CSA Review Shows Steady, but Slow, Progress in Corporate Diversity, Business Law Blog, October 15, 2019
- The Business Roundtable and the Continuing Trend from Primacy to Purpose, Business Law Blog, August 28, 2019
- To B or Not to B: Benefit Companies Arrive in Canada, Business Law Blog, June 19, 2019
- 《不列颠哥伦比亚省商业公司法》（BCBCA）修正案要求该省公司进行透明度登记, 新闻中心 , June 12, 2019
- BCBCA Amendments Require BC Companies to Keep Transparency Register, Business Law Blog, June 10, 2019
- Corporate Duties, Indeterminacy and the 2019 Federal Budget, Business Law Blog, April 16, 2019
- CBCA Amendments in the 2019 Federal Budget - A Continued Focus on Governance, Business Law Blog, April 15, 2019
- Yukon Court Awards Premium in Fair Value Determination - A Comment on Carlock v. ExxonMobil Canada Holdings ULC, Business Law Blog, March 14, 2019
- Matters To Consider For The 2019 Annual Meeting And Proxy Season, Business Law Blog, February 2019
- The New Corporate Governance: Corporate Purpose and Corporate Leadership, Business Law Blog, February 15, 2019
- CSA Announces Proposed National Instrument Governing Disclosure of Non-GAAP and Other Financial Measures , Business Law Blog, September 10, 2018
- Social Media and Reporting Issuers, Business Law Blog, August 10, 2018
- CSA Maintain Status Quo on Director "Independence", Business Law Blog, July 30, 2018
- CSA Publishes Results of Their Continuous Disclosure Compliance Review, Business Law Blog, July 25, 2018
- CSA Request Comments on Soliciting Dealer Arrangements, Auguring Potential Regulation, Business Law Blog, April 18, 2018
- Joint Actors and Tactical Pills: Securities Regulators Apply Canada’s New Takeover Bid Regime to a Hostile Bid, Business Law Blog, April 16, 2018
- 使命感和管理新典范：Larry Fink致CEO年度信函中的公司治理动向, 新闻中心 , February 13, 2018
- A Sense of Purpose and the New Paradigm: Governance Trends Apparent in Larry Fink's Annual Letter to CEOs, Business Law Blog, February 8, 2018
- New Civil Cause of Action for Whistleblower Reprisals, Business Law Blog, February 6, 2018
- Gender Diversity and Overboarding Dominate ISS’s 2018 Proxy Guideline Updates, Business Law Blog, November 21, 2017
- Potential Alteration of “Independence” in Canadian Corporate Governance, Business Law Blog, October 31, 2017
- 加拿大视角下的利益相关者的权益, 新闻中心 , October 13, 2017
- CSA Publish Third Annual Review of Gender Diversity Disclosure, Business Law Blog, October 12, 2017
- Stakeholder Interests – A Canadian Perspective, Business Law Blog, October 3, 2017
- Chris Robertson
- Legal Assistant
- T: 604.408.5304
- British Columbia (2016)
- Ontario (2008)
University of Toronto (J.D., 2007)
Middlebury College (B.A., 2000, Magna cum laude)