Carolyn Simpson is a partner in the Corporate Commercial Group whose practice focuses on commercial transactions and business law, primarily in private equity, mergers and acquisitions, and other private commercial transactions and securities law. Carolyn has acted for a variety of US and Canadian private equity firms, oil and gas services, and midstream and upstream oil and gas producers.
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Law Society of Alberta, Member
Carolyn's representative experience includes the following:
- TriWest Capital Partners in the approximately C$123M sale of Landmark Cinemas LP to Kinepolis Group NV.
- Stream Asset Financial with various transactions including its investment in Persist Oil and Gas Inc. to acquire the assets of Manitok Energy, the C$45M acquisition of interest in a gas pipeline, a C$63M acquisition of interest in gas processing plants and various other asset acquisitions and credit financings.
- Mueller Industries in the acquisition of Die-Mold Tool, Pexcor Manufacturing and HeatLink Group.
- World Health North LP in the acquisition of World Health Edmonton.
- Quantum Energy Partners in connection with certain investments in Canada.
- Source Energy Services Ltd. in its C$175M initial public offering.
- Journey Energy in its $35.6M acquisition of interest in Central Alberta liquids-rich gas production from a private company.
- TriWest Capital Partners acquisition of all of the shares of International Fitness Holdings.
- Riverstone Investment Group and Niska Gas Storage Partners in the purchase of all of Niska’s outstanding common units by Brookfield Infrastructure and its institutional partners, as part of a transaction valued at approximately US$912M including the assumption of debt.
- Glacier Ridge Ventures, with the sale of all of its shares to Ignite Energy Services, a 32 Degrees Capital portfolio company.
- SCF Partners Inc. in its investment in Variperm Energy Services.
- Japan Petroleum Exploration in the connection with the purchase of a 10% interest in the Petronas LNG Project in British Columbia.
- North West Upgrading in connection with the completion of a Bitumen Royalty in Kind Processing Agreement between The Crown in Right of Alberta, the sale of a 50% interest in North West Upgrading’s Redwater upgrader/refinery to an affiliate of Canadian Natural Resources and the formation of the North West Redwater Partnership.
- Riverstone Holdings in connection with the purchase of all the shares of Gibson Energy Holdings
- Gibson Energy Holdings in connection with its initial public offering.
- ATCO in connection with the operating and maintenance agreement for the Barking Dog Power Station and related shareholder agreement.
- CPP Investment Board in connection with its investment in Teine Energy.
- Acquisition by IHS Energy of all the shares of LogTech Canada.
- RTL Westcan Limited Partnership in connection with the acquisition of ECL Transportation.
- Acquisition of worldwide intellectual property and assets of Sure Tech Tool Service Inc. and worldwide intellectual property of Nora Oil Services Inc. by Sanjeev Group.
- Sale of Con-Force group of companies to Armtec Infrastructure Income Fund.
- TriWest Capital Partners in connection with the recapitalization of Fraser River Pile & Dredge.
News & Publications
News & Publications
- Key Corporate and Commercial Law Decisions of 2018, CBA - AB Business Law Section, 2019, January 2019
- Karen Quinn
- Legal Assistant
- T: 403.218.7513
- Alberta (2006)
- University of Calgary (MBA, 2019)
- University of Calgary (J.D., 2005)
- University of Alberta (B.Ed.)
- University of British Columbia (B.A.)