Bernadita’s practice is focused in the area of oil and gas law. In particular, Bernadita assists domestic and international clients in the oil and gas sector with respect to acquisitions and divestitures and the requisite due diligence and documentation. Her experience includes negotiating and drafting agreements for the acquisition and divestiture of oil and gas assets, due diligence, title opinion preparation and preparation of closing documentation in relation to A&D. She also provides advice on day to day operational matters including negotiating, drafting and interpreting agreements such as joint operating agreements, royalty agreements, pooling agreements, production allocation agreements and other joint venture and partnership agreements and preparing pre-drilling opinions related to freehold lands.
Bernadita also provides advice relating to disputes and issues among oil and gas working interest and royalty owners and assists oil and gas companies in the orderly integration of assets following mergers and large acquisitions.
Prior to joining Lawson Lundell, Bernadita was with EnerLAW LLP, a Calgary-based commercial law firm focusing primarily on the energy industry. Previously she was with Thackray Burgess.
- Law Society of Alberta, Member
- Law Society of Ontario, Member
- Canadian Bar Association (CBA), Member
- Southern Natural Resources Law Section (CBA), Member
- Canadian Energy Law Foundation, Member
- Conducted rights of first refusal review for a large disposition program for a midsized oil and gas producer.
- Lead counsel for a start-up oil and gas producer in its active land acquisition program in, 2016-2017.
- Acting for midsized oil and gas producer in a disposition of its south central Alberta assets in a deal valued at $355 million.
- Acting for an owner and operator of renewable energy plants with various wind project proposals to the AESO including conducting land tenure due diligence.
- Counsel for vendor disposing of its fee interests in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba assets in a deal valued at $321 million.
News & Publications
News & Publications
- Replacement of Insolvent Operators: Bank of Montreal v. Bumper Development Corporation, Project Law Blog, July 20, 2016
- AER issues Bulletin 2016-21 to Clarify AER Bulletin 2016-16 - In Wake of Redwater (Take 2), Project Law Blog, July 12, 2016
- Doing Indirectly What You Cannot Do Directly: ROFR's and the Duty of Good Faith, Project Law Blog, June 29, 2016
- Death by a Thousand Cuts - AER Issues Bulletin 2016-16 - In Wake of Redwater, Project Law Blog, June 23, 2016
- Alberta Energy Regulator Issues Announcement Regarding Licensee Obligations in the Event of Insolvencies, Project Law Blog, April 20, 2016
- Alberta Energy Regulator Institutes Changes to Compliance and Enforcement Program, Project Law Blog, March 3, 2016
- Chloe Decker
- Legal Assistant
- T: 403.218.7526
- Alberta (1997)
- Ontario (2019)
University of Calgary (LL.B., 1996)
University of Alberta (B.Sc. (Nursing), 1990)