As an energy lawyer, Jay’s practice focuses exclusively on the oil and gas industry, acting for both domestic and international companies of all sizes. This primarily includes assisting clients through the process of the acquisition and divestiture of oil and gas assets, including sale agreement preparation, due diligence and title review.
Jay’s practice also includes the negotiation and drafting of various industry-specific agreements, provision of freehold drilling opinions, assisting with post-closing asset integration projects and advising clients on the management of the legal aspects of operational matters.
Prior to joining Lawson Lundell, Jay was a partner with EnerLAW LLP, a Calgary-based boutique oil and gas firm.
Before his migration to Alberta, Jay served as Counsel to the Registrar of Titles with Information Services Corporation of Saskatchewan. This included providing legal and policy advice during the implementation of the Land Titles Registry.
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Canadian Energy Law Foundation, Member
- Calgary Bar Association, Member
News & Publications
- Replacement of Insolvent Operators: Bank of Montreal v. Bumper Development Corporation, Project Law Blog, July 20, 2016
- Alberta Energy Regulator Institutes Changes to Compliance and Enforcement Program, Project Law Blog, March 3, 2016
- Stephanie Giles
- Legal Assistant
- T: 403.218.7526
- Alberta (2002)
- Saskatchewan (2001)
University of Saskatchewan (LL.B., 2000)
University of Saskatchewan (B. Comm., 1997)