Stuart D. Breen
- P: 604.631.9149
- F: 604.669.1620
- Christina Bartos
- Legal Assistant
- P: 604.408.5323
Stuart practises corporate and commercial law, with an emphasis on corporate finance and securities and mergers and acquisitions.
Stuart has acted for domestic and international companies in a wide variety of transactions including equity and debt financings, business combinations, acquisitions and stock exchange listings. He also advises clients on corporate and securities regulatory compliance issues and corporate governance matters.
Stuart has extensive experience acting for clients involved in the mineral exploration, development and mining industry, including advising clients on and completing commercial transactions such as joint ventures, option/earn-ins, royalties, strategic investments and asset acquisitions. He also regularly provides advice on the unique continuous disclosure requirements of companies in the mining industry.
Recognition and Ranking
- 2017 Best Lawyers in Canada: recognized for Mergers & Acquisitions and Mining law
- Who's Who Legal Canada 2016: recognized for Mining law
- International Who’s Who of Mining Lawyers 2014 & 2015: recognized as being among the world's leading mining lawyers
- Lexpert 2013 Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada: recognized as one of Canada's Corporate Lawyers to Watch
- 2012 Lexpert Rising Star Award: recognized as one of Canada's Leading Lawyers under 40
- 2012 Business in Vancouver’s Forty Under 40 Award: Leading Business Professionals Under 40
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, Member
- Association for Mineral Exploration British Columbia, Member
- Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada, Member
- UBC Law Alumni Association, Board Member
- British Columbia (2001)
- University of British Columbia, B.A. (1995)
- University of British Columbia, LL.B. (2000)
- Advising OnCore BioPharma on Canadian matters in its announced merger with Tekmira Pharmaceuticals. Under the announced terms of the merger, valued at $US 750 million, OnCore will merge with a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tekmira and will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tekmira. Upon completion, OnCore shareholders will hold approximately 50% of the total number of outstanding shares of Tekmira on a fully-diluted, as converted basis.
- Advising Catalyst Paper Corporation in its acquisition of the Biron paper mill located in Wisconsin and the Rumford pulp and paper mill located in Maine, USA from NewPage Corporation, NewPage Wisconsin System Inc., and Rumford Paper Company for a purchase price of US$74 million together with the associated acquisition financing and related increase in Catalyst’s ABL Credit Facility from CDN$175 million to CDN$225 million and US$25million (principal amount) offering of PIK Toggle Senior Secured Notes .
- Advising Aura Minerals Inc. in obtaining a US$15.5 million gold loan from Auramet International LLC, a subsidiary of Auramet Trading LLC.
- Acting for the special committee of Dunav Resources Ltd. in connection with its merger with Avala Resources Ltd. The merger was completed by way of a plan of arrangement under the British Columbia Business Corporations Act.
- British Columbia counsel for a biopharmaceutical company in connection with its proposed merger with a Canadian-based biotechnical company in a deal valued at US$850 million.
- Advising Sabina Gold & Silver Corp. in the sale of its Newman-Madsen property to Laurentian Goldfields Ltd. for 6.5 million shares in Laurentian.
- Advising Profire Energy, Inc. in acquiring the assets of VIM Injection Management, Inc.
- Advising Aura Minerals Inc. in obtaining a US$22.5 million gold loan from Auramet International LLC, a subsidiary of Auramet Trading LLC, the proceeds of which were used to settle outstanding debt obligations.
- British Columbia counsel for a clean energy company in its US$240 million sale to a consortium of investors.
- National Post(September 29, 2016),Interview
- Vancouver Sun(May 9, 2015),Interview
- The importance of tying executive compensation to performance,The Northern Miner(March 23, 2015),Co-Author
- The Northern Miner(March 2, 2015),Co-author
- Lexpert(November 2014),Interview
- Team of Lawson Lundell lawyers recognized in Lexpert Magazine's Big Deals for their role in the B2Gold acquisition of Papillon Resources(September 23, 2014)
- Business in Vancouver(March 17, 2014),Co-author
- (February 5, 2014)
- “The Role of Junior Mining in Today’s Market and Challenges Ahead”, Special Institute on International Mining and Oil & Gas Law, Development and Investment, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation/ International Bar Association, Cartagena de Indias, Col(April 21, 2015),Speaker