Michael L. Lee*
- P: 604.631.9139
- F: 604.669.1620
- Trish Cizek
- Legal Assistant
- P: 604.631.9127
* Law Corporation
Michael advises public and private companies regarding mergers and acquisitions, financings, restructurings and general corporate law matters. He has represented and worked with clients in a broad range of transactions, including public and private financings of equity and debt, acquisitions and divestitures, arrangements, takeover bids and corporate reorganizations.
Michael also advises public company clients and their boards of directors on corporate governance, directors’ duties and responsibilities and securities regulatory compliance. In addition, he acts as counsel to special committees of boards of directors in related party transactions and other corporate transactions. Michael is the co-lead of the Corporate Governance Group. He was previously the head of the Business Services Group at Lawson Lundell.
Michael has also served as corporate secretary to a major electric utility and acted as general counsel to the utility’s subsidiary. Prior to obtaining his law degree, Michael worked as a special assistant to a federal cabinet minister in Vancouver and Ottawa from 1990 to 1993.
Recognition and Ranking
- Best Lawyers in Canada: recognized for corporate governance
- 2011 Lexpert Zenith Award: recognized for Corporate and Law Firm Social Responsibility for his outstanding work and long-standing dedication in the area of corporate governance
- In 2013, Michael participated as a Leading Legal Practitioner in the study "A Canadian Model of Corporate Governance: Insights from Canada's Leading Legal Practitioners" authored by Carol Liao, and funded by the Canadian Foundation for Governance Research.
- Michael serves as the Chair of the Board of Directors of the UBC Alumni Association and as the Chair of the Board of Directors of Arts Umbrella (an arts education organization for children and youth).
- He has also served as the past Vice-Chair and Board Member of Science World British Columbia, S.U.C.C.E.S.S. (a community and social service organization) and Leadership Vancouver (a community leadership development program), and is a past Board Member of Sustainable Cities International and the Justice Education Society of BC.
- British Columbia (1997)
- Institute of Corporate Directors (Institute-certified Director, ICD.D, 2009)
- University of Victoria (LL.B., 1996)
- University of British Columbia (M.A. in Political Science, 1992)
- University of British Columbia (B.A. (Hons.) in Political Science, 1989; and B.Sc. in Biology, 1986)
Representative transactions include:
- The sale of a Canadian mobile data analytics company to an international mobile business intelligence company
- The acquisition by a Canadian mining company of a large scale open pit gold mine located in Nevada, U.S.A.
- A private placement of US$250 million of convertible senior notes by a silver mining company
- The acquisition by a gold mining company of a mining exploration company with a gold project located in Namibia
- The sale of a Canadian oil and gas company listed on the Nasdaq Global Select Market with operations located in the eastern United States
- The merger of an American coal mining company and a Canadian coal mining company with operations located in the U.S.A., Canada and the U.K.
- The acquisition by a Canadian coal mining company of a mining company listed on AIM with operations located in the U.S.A. and the U.K.
- The recapitalization of a Canadian forest products company by plan of arrangement
- Public offerings and private placements of $275 million of equity and convertible debt by a Canadian coal mining company
- A $100 million initial public offering by a gold mining exploration company on the TSX Venture Exchange
- The sale by a fuel cell company of its automotive fuel cell research and development assets to two strategic partners based in Germany and the U.S.A.
- The cross-border acquisition of an American mining exploration company listed on the NYSE Amex by a Canadian mining exploration company
- The acquisition of port terminal facilities by an infrastructure fund of a global financial institution
- The sale of a Canadian company operating hearing aid clinics in B.C., Alberta, Ontario and Nova Scotia to a company based in Switzerland
- A $182 million cross-border equity offering by a silver mining company
- The reorganization of an income fund to establish a limited partnership to operate a coal storage and loading facility business
- The reverse takeover of a company listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange by an Australian gold mining company
- The management buyout of a B.C.-based entertainment company by plan of arrangement
- The establishment of management and operational arrangements between two B.C. Crown Corporations relating to electrical power transmission
- The acquisition by a private equity firm of a specialty metals distribution and processing business with operations in Western Canada and the U.S.A.
- The formation and initial public offering of an income fund in the steel wire and fabricated wire products manufacturing sector
- The merger of two B.C.-based mining companies with operations located in Australia, Peru, Alaska, Ontario and British Columbia
- (Spring 2015),Interview
- (November 20, 2013)
- Team of Lawson Lundell lawyers recognized in Lexpert Magazine's Big Deals for their role in the Silver Standard Private Placement(July 15, 2013)
- (June 13, 2013),Co-author
- Canadian Corporate Counsel Magazine mentions Lawson Lundell's role in Western Coal Corp.'s acquisition by Walter Energy Inc.(December 27, 2011)
- (October 3, 2011)
- (September 22, 2011)
- "Comments Sought on Proposed Amendments to National Instrument 43-101 Standards of Disclosure for Mineral Projects"(June 11, 2010),Co-author
- (February 25, 2010)
- "Exempt Distributions",Securities Fundamentals 2012, Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia(March 8, 2012),Course Presenter
- 6th Advanced Securities Compliance Conference,Federated Press(October 17 and 18, 2011),Co-lecturer
- “The General Counsel and the Board of Directors”,9th General Counsel’s Role in Maximizing Corporate Performance, Federated Press(April 13 and 14, 2011),Co-Presenter
- “Corporate Governance: The Framework”,Securities for Junior Lawyers and Legal Support Staff 2011, Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia(February 25, 2011),Course Presenter
- “Guiding Company Directors: Roles, Duties & Liability Issues”,7th Annual Reinventing the Corporate Secretary, Federated Press(October 12, 2010),Speaker