Karen L. MacMillan
- P: 604.631.9160
- F: 604.669.1620
- Vanessa Dawes
- Legal Assistant
- P: 604.408.5371
Karen practices corporate and commercial law with an emphasis on commercial arrangements in the mining sector including procurement, construction and engineering, joint ventures and other strategic arrangements. She also regularly advises clients in the energy sector in connection with major power generation projects and a variety of related commercial/contracting matters.
Karen has represented domestic and foreign-based clients in various industries on general business law matters involving domestic and cross-border transactions. Karen’s experience includes advising on licensing arrangements, corporate and contractual joint venture arrangements, negotiating debt and equity financings and negotiating and documenting major resource project development agreements as well as asset and share purchase and sale transactions. Her experience covers a range of sectors and industries including energy, mining, forestry, pulp and paper, financial services, consumer products manufacturing and distribution, food-products, natural healthcare, engineering and construction, non-profit, recreation and resorts, transportation and education.
Karen has also had the opportunity during the course of her career to work in-house with clients in the energy and forest-products sectors where she focused primarily on procurement, construction and engineering and other contracting matters.
In addition to her practice, Karen was Lawson Lundell’s first Chief Inclusiveness Officer. In this capacity, she was responsible for designing, implementing and measuring the success of the firm’s diversity and inclusiveness improvement programs.
Recognition and Ranking
- 2016 Lexpert Zenith Award: recognized as a leader within the legal profession for her outstanding contribution in Celebrating Diversity and Inclusion
- 2015 Wendy McDonald Award recipient: Outstanding Mentor-Sponsor
- British Columbia (1999)
- Saskatchewan (2016)
- Simon Fraser University (B.A., 1995)
- University of British Columbia (J.D., 1998)
Representative transactions include:
- Advising various mining companies with respect to major construction and procurement matters and a variety of commercial arrangements in connection with projects in North America, South America and Africa.
- Advising a major Canadian forest products company on numerous acquisitions of key production assets and equipment and various construction, procurement and contracting matters.
- Acting for a dual listed (ASX; TSX) copper producer in the structuring, negotiation and documentation of a strategic alliance with a large multi-national commodities trading company.
- Acting for a major British Columbia based forest product company in the disposition of a coastal pulp and paper manufacturing facility and related assets.
- Advising Lakota Canada, a Canadian-based manufacturer of natural healthcare products and supplements, in connection with licensing and distribution matters in Canada and internationally.
- Acting for a Canadian manufacturer of packaging and paper products in negotiating the acquisition of a Quebec-based manufacturer with cross-border operations.
- Advising a major Canadian railway company on licensing arrangements and commercial cross-border and domestic matters related to its North American fibre optic network.
- Acting for a leading Canadian private equity firm in connection with various acquisitions and dispositions including:
- the negotiation and completion of the $200 million acquisition of a US-based plastics manufacturing company
- the acquisition of a multi-national food-products manufacturing company
- the acquisition of an Ontario based food-products manufacturing company
- Acting for a Canadian-based purchaser in negotiating and completing the acquisition of one of Western Canada’s premiere golf and vacation resorts.
- Representing a major U.S.-based owner, operator and developer of ski and golf resorts in the acquisition of a British Columbia ski resort.
- Acting for a dual listed (ASX; TSX) gold producer with respect to a public offering of common shares.
- Lexpert Special Edition on Leading Canadian Lawyers in Global Mining publishes Lawson Lundell's article on "Wearables in the Mining Sector: Balancing Potential Benefits and Privacy Considerations"(September 22, 2016)
- (September 5, 2016),Co-author
- Business in Vancouver(June 28, 2016),Author
- The Northern Miner(January 19, 2016),Co-author
- Lexpert Special Edition on Leading Canadian Lawyers in Global Mining publishes Lawson Lundell's article on "Moving Towards Sustainable Development: How Canadian Mining Companies Are Leading By Example"(Fall 2015),Co-author
- (August 2015)
- Karen Macmillan's article, "Canadian miners rebuilding community trust in Latin America", in Business in Vancouver(May 5, 2015),Author
- The Northern Miner(November 4, 2014)
- Lexpert Special Edition on Leading Canadian Lawyers in Global Mining publishes Lawson Lundell article on "Engagement with Aboriginal Groups as a Threshold Issue in Mining Development"(Fall 2014)
- “Polar Mining: The Next Frontier”,Resource World(April 2014)
- Lexpert Special Edition on Leading Canadian Lawyers in Global Mining publishes Lawson Lundell article on polar mining "The Next Frontier"(October 31, 2013),Author
- (October 31, 2013),Interview
- Karen MacMillan quoted in The Financial Post article, "Canadian mining industry embraces transparency initiative"(July 31, 2013),Interview
- (March 19, 2013),Author
- Lawson Lundell represents BC Hydro in the $825 million purchase of a 1/3 interest in the 493 megawatt Waneta Dam from Teck Metals Ltd.(March 22, 2010)
- (February 25, 2010)
- Women in Business magazine launch party,The Shangri-La Hotel(June 27, 2016),Panelist