Jeffrey A. Read
- P: 604.631.9206
- Victor Law
- Legal Assistant
- P: 604.408.5404
* Law Corporation
Jeffrey Read is a partner in our Corporate Finance and Securities group in our Vancouver office. Jeff practises corporate and securities law, focusing on advising local, national and international companies and securities dealers on their Canadian activities. He acts for several of the larger BC-based public companies and private equity groups, and has been involved with a number of friendly and hostile M&A transactions and proxy fights. He also provides advice to boards of directors on matters including corporate governance and directors’ and officers’ liability.
Jeff completed a secondment with the BC Securities Commission in 1987. He worked in the areas of corporate finance and policy and legislation, and was a member of the commission’s Securities Law Advisory Committee.
Between 2000 and 2015, Jeff was an Adjunct Professor (Securities Regulation) at the University of British Columbia Faculty of Law.
Recognition and Ranking
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory: repeatedly recommended as a Leading Practitioner for Corporate Finance, and Private Equity and consistently recommended as a Leading Practitioner for Corporate Mid-Market
- Best Lawyers in Canada: recognized for Mining law, Corporate Law, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, Mergers & Acquisitions and Securities Law
- Lexpert Special Edition 2016: Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada (Corporate Finance and Securities)
- Lexpert Special Edition 2014 & 2015: Leading Canadian Lawyers in Energy
- Martindale-Hubbell International Law Directory: 4.4 out of 5 Peer Review Rated
- Canada Committee of the American Bar Association, Vice-Chair
- International Private Equity Committee of the American Bar Association, Vice-Chair
- Canadian Bar Association (past) Chair, CBA Securities Section, BC Branch, Member
- International Bar Association, Member
- Vancouver Chapter of Association of Corporate Growth, Member
- Instructor on various subjects, including private placements, venture capital, shareholders’ meetings, continuous disclosure and securities practice
- Pro bono work for University of British Columbia's St. Andrew's Hall
- British Columbia (1986)
- Queen's University (LL.B., 1985)
- Queen's University (BA., 1982, magna cum laude)
- Counsel to the founder of Athabasca Potash Inc. in her successful proxy fight to remove the board of directors, elect a new board and oversee its subsequent sale for $341 million to BHP Billiton by way of a plan of arrangement.
- Counsel to Inspectorate and parent companies Inspicio and 3i, a London based private equity firm, on the $25-million acquisition of PRA Labs.
- Counsel for CHC Helicopters in the acquisition of over 100 helicopters (since 2007), in the establishment of their repair and maintenance business, Heli-One and in their US $310 million initial public offering on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Counsel to numerous electrical power producers (including Trans Canada Power, NaiKun Wind Development, Furry Creek Power, Northland Power, Synex Energy and Calpine Corporation), in respect of wood waste, run-of-river, wind, and gas-fired power projects.
- CHIP REIT $1.2-billion acquisition by British Columbia Investment Management Corporation.
- Acting as outside legal counsel for NaiKun Wind Development in the negotiation and structuring of a proposed 320 MW-offshore wind farm located in the waters of Hecate Strait.
- Canadian Hotel Income Properties Real Estate Investment Trust: creation, initial public offering and listing on the TSX; subsequent public equity and debt offerings; defence of hostile take-over bid; acquisition of portfolio of hotel properties; securities and corporate governance matters.
- Sun-Rype Products Ltd.: initial public offering and listing on the TSX, defence of hostile take-over bid, securities and corporate governance matters.
- Banyan Capital Partners Limited Partnership and Banyan Capital Partners II Limited Partnership: organization, funding, investments and dispositions.
- Corporate and securities counsel to co-operatives on their conversion to corporations.
- Represented a number of American, Asian and European investors on their investments into Canada in sectors, including computer components, consumer packaging, food products, transportation, infrastructure, oil, gas and electricity.
- Jeffrey Read quoted in The Globe and Mail, "Trudeau's visit to China fails to shift power imbalance," September 4, 2016, Interview
- “Roadblocks to Listing on TSX-V,” BCBusiness.ca, March 2014, Co-Author
- “Report Shows Canadians’ Interest in Asia Pacific,” Business in Vancouver, August, 2013, Author
- “Chinese State-Owned Enterprises May be Waiting for Your Call,” Business in Vancouver, February 2013, Author
- “Cross-Border Transactions” Insight Information, October 2012, Author
- “Directors’ and Officers’ Liability,” December 2009, Co-Author
- “Independent Board Leaders: Roles and Responsibilities,” 2008, Author
- eSecurities.pro Newsletter, Carswell, 2008-present, National Editor
- “Reduced CFO and CEO Certification for Venture Issuers,” Focus on Securities, December 2007, Author
- “Mergers and Acquisitions,” Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia (CLE BC) – Securities for Lawyers, March 2006, Author
- “Recent Developments for Public Mining Companies,” October 2006, Author
- Corporate Governance Journal, Federated Press, 2005-present, Annual Contributing Editor
- “MD&A – Putting Best Practices to Work,” CLE BC – Securities for Lawyers, September 2004, Author
- “Securities, Stock and Commodity Exchanges,” Canadian Encyclopaedic Digest (Ontario and Western 3rd Editions), August 2002, Author
- British Columbia Securities Act and Rules Annotated, Carswell, 1992-present, Author
- "Opportunity or Barrier: The Effects of Trans-Pacific Partnership on Energy Trade and Investment," ABA International Tokyo Panel, International Energy & Natural Resources Committee, October, 2016, Panel Chair.
- “US Issuers Accessing Canadian Capital Markets,” Northwest Securities Institute, March 2012, Presenter.
- “Audit Committee: Latest Legal Developments” and “Best Practices for Audit Committee Effectiveness,” Federated Press Conference April 2011-present, Annual Presenter.
- “Managing Meetings of Shareholders and Shareholder Issues,” Federated Press Conference entitled “Re-inventing the Corporate Secretary,” October 2010, Presenter
- “Internal Controls and Audit Committee Best Practices,” Federated Press conference entitled “Advanced Securities Compliance,” October 2010-present, Annual Presenter.
- "Internal Controls and Audit Committee Effectiveness,” Federated Press Internal Controls course, April 23-24, 2009, Presenter.
- “Reporting on Internal Controls: Satisfying the CEO/CFO Certification Requirements,” Federated Press Conference on Financial Reporting & Accounting: Best Practices for IFRS Adoption, June 16-17, 2009, Speaker.
- “Cross-Border Business Forum,” CCCA Corporate Counsel World Summit, January 2009, Moderator.
- “Continuous Disclosure,” Federated Press Advanced Securities Compliance course, September 2008, Presenter.
- “Best Practices for Continuous Disclosure,” February 25-26, 2008, Presenter.
- “Acquisition of a Public Company,” Insight Information Conference entitled “Litigation, Securities and Corporate Commercial Law,” June 2008, Presenter.
- “Securities Law Issues in Canada,” Canada-China Forum, October 1-2, 2007, Presenter.
- “Securities Agreements,” Federated Press Conference, October 2007, Presenter.
- “Recent Legal Developments for Audit Committees,” Federated Press Conference, September 2007, Presenter.
- “Mergers & Acquisitions; Take-over Bids,” Northwest Securities Institute, February 2007, Presenter.
- “Securities Regulatory Update,” Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators Dinner, April 2006, Presenter.
- “Mergers & Acquisitions,” CLE BC – Securities for Lawyers, March 2006, Presenter.
- “Cross-Border Securities Transaction,” CLE BC – Securities for Lawyers, 2006, Presenter.
- “The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 and the US Experience,” British Columbia and Yukon Chamber of Mines Short Course Program 43-101, January 2003, Presenter.
- “Investor Protection – The Current Regime,” UBC Law Symposium, January 2003, Presenter.
- “New Disclosure Rules for Mining Companies,” Conference Board of Canada, December 2002, Presenter.
- “Cross-Border Venture Transactions,” Washington State Bar Association, March 2001, Lecturer
- “Western Canadian Securities Forum,” Insight Information, 2000-2004, Annual Chair.
- “Organizing and Managing a Public Company,” “Corporate Governance” and “The Broker’s Practice” courses, Simon Fraser University, 1991-98, Lecturer.