Bryan C. Gibbons
- P: 604.631.9152
- F: 604.669.1620
- Kimberley Manderson
- Legal Assistant
- P: 604.408.5340
Bryan is the current Chair of the Insolvency and Restructuring Group. He is the past Chair of the B.C. Branch (Insolvency) for the Canadian Bar Association and a past Faculty member and Presenter for Continuing Legal Education (B.C. Law Society) respecting foreclosure matters and creditors’ remedies.
In his 25 years of practice, Bryan has acted for Canadian Banks, specifically Bank of Montreal and HSBC Bank Canada, and private lenders in a wide range of insolvency matters including the completion and sale of an insolvent multi-unit development project and a bank employee fraud involving the execution of Anton Pillar orders and a Mareva injunction, among many other matters involving security realization, workouts, receivership and bankruptcy.
Bryan regularly advises his banking and financial institution clients with respect to insolvency, realization and recoveries. In this capacity, Bryan is particularly adept at conceiving and implementing strategies for the recovery of defaulted loans and regularly advises his banking clients in relation to significant portfolios of impaired loans.
Bryan also acts for institutional lenders and other creditors with respect to reorganizations under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act and the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act. Bryan also acts for accounting firms in their capacity as bankruptcy trustees, receivers and monitors in reorganizations.
Bryan has represented various institutional lenders in diverse realizations from hotels and condominium developments to equipment dealerships and manufacturers.
In addition, Bryan has also represented institutional lenders with respect to a variety of fraud matters.
Recognition and Ranking
- Martindale-Hubbell International Law Directory: BV Peer Review rated
- Canadian Bar Association, Insolvency Sub-section, British Columbia Branch, Past Chair
- B.C. Insolvency Discussion Group, Current Member and Past Executive, Member
- British Columbia (1991)
- University of British Columbia (B.Comm., 1987)
- University of British Columbia (J.D., 1990)
Bryan's experience includes:
- Acting for a major Canadian bank with respect to the completion and sale of an insolvent multi-unit development project
- Acting for a court appointed receiver manager of a large vehicle leasing company involving the tracing of missing vehicles and proceeds comingled by various corporate entities
- Acting for a major Canadian bank in a receivership and securing the dismissal of allegations by the trustee in bankruptcy that the Bank participated in a conspiracy to defeat unsecured creditors
- Acting for a major Canadian bank with respect to a bank employee fraud and the execution of Anton pillar orders and a mareva injunction
- Acting for a receiver manager of a large logging contractor on Vancouver Island
- Acting for a receiver manager of a company involving a multi-million dollar fraud by the principal
- Insolvency and Restructuring Bulletin: SCC Releases its Decision in Sun Indalex Finance, LLC v. United Steelworkers(February 7, 2013)
- "Creditors’ Remedies 'Enforcement and Recovery'",Continuing Legal Education (B.C. Law Society) Conference on Creditors’ Remedies(2010)
- Commercial Insolvency Reporter, "New Developments in the CCAA" article(December 2008)
- B.C. technical update paper and presentation,Canadian Bar Association(2008)
- “Credit and Banking Litigation”,a Toronto publication to the Banking industry,Past Contributor
- Various papers and in house presentation to bankers and credit managers with respect to insolvency issues
- Faculty member and Presenter 2010 Continuing Legal Education (B.C. Law Society) Conference on Creditors’ Remedies(2010)
- Continuing Legal Education of the B.C. Law Society on foreclosure matters,Past Presenter
- 2008 Annual Pan-Canadian Insolvency and Restructuring Conference,Presenter