- P: 604.631.9157
- F: 604.669.1620
- Kimberley Manderson
- Legal Assistant
- P: 604.408.5340
Bonita provides a full range of advice and representation on corporate restructuring, turn-around management situations, bankruptcies, receiverships, foreclosure and other corporate related litigation to financial institutions, secured and unsecured creditors, trustees in bankruptcy, receivers, and debtors. She has assisted debtors, creditors and lender groups in corporate reorganizations and proposals pursuant to the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act and the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act. She has also acted on a number of cross-border insolvency matters.
Bonita has appeared as counsel for various parties in the British Columbia Supreme Court, the British Columbia Court of Appeal and the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Commercial Division).
Bonita also provides advice and representation to commercial landlords and their agents with respect to commercial lease disputes.
In July 2008, Bonita was featured in an article regarding insolvency professionals in BC Business.
Recognition and Ranking
- Martindale-Hubbell International Law Directory: BV Peer Review rated
- Turnaround Management Association, Member
- British Columbia (1990)
- Brandon University (B.A., 1983)
- University of Manitoba (Bachelor of Laws, 1989)
During 2015, counsel for contracting party with respect to CCAA proceedings of Armtec Infrastructure Inc.
During 2014-2015, counsel for the Petitioner in a CCAA proceeding involving Sandpiper Golf course and, Rowena's Inn.
During 2014-2015, counsel for secured creditor with respect to Mount Baldy Ski Resort.
During 2014-2015, counsel for receiver of Mount Baldy Ski Resort.
- During 2012-2013, counsel for Receiver over three Canadian limited partnerships which raised funds for real estate investments in the USA. Total funds raised by these entities exceeded $300 million.
- During 2012-2013, counsel for Proposal Trustee of a construction company with several ongoing multi-million dollar construction projects. We developed a unique legal process for the adjudication of all trust claims and lien claims.
- During 2012-2013, counsel for court officer with respect to a molybdenum mine.
- During 2012-2013, counsel for Receiver of a gold mining company.
- During 2011 through 2013, counsel for secured creditor in the CCAA proceedings of Blackburn Developments Ltd.
- During 2011, counsel for secured creditor in the CCAA proceedings of William Switzer Associates Ltd.
- During 2011, counsel for purchaser of assets in the CCAA proceedings of William Switzer Associates Ltd.
- During 2011, counsel for 6382 Pulp & Paper Partnership in respect of a proposal made under Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act of Canada
- During 2003-2010 counsel for the court-appointed Receiver-Manager of the general partner of four limited partnerships that were involved in the ownership and development of several residential, multi-unit complexes situated in the United States. The realization of the assets has involved insolvency proceedings in British Columbia and the United States.
- During 2009-2010 counsel for approximately 500 unionized and non-unionized employees with respect to unpaid wage claims in representative proceedings against former directors of an insolvent entity.
- During 2009-2010 acted as lead counsel for purchaser of pulp mill during CCAA proceeding.
- In 2007-2008, in the matter of the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act and HSPP General Partner Ltd. and Howe Sound Pulp & Paper Limited Partnership – lead insolvency counsel for Howe Sound Paper Limited Partnership and HSPP General Partner Ltd in the restructuring of approximately US$238 million in unsecured debt that was completed pursuant to the provisions of the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act.
- In 2008, in the matter of the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act and Tahera Diamond Corporation and Benachee Resources Inc. –lead counsel for one of the parties of a joint venture which is one of the largest unsecured creditors.
- In 2008, in the matter of the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act and Asset-Based Commercial Paper proceeding –provided advice to a regulatory body.
- In 2007-2008, in the matter of the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act and Pope & Talbot Ltd. –acted for a supplier. This is a cross-border restructuring matter involving proceedings in British Columbia and United States of America.
- In 2002-2008, in the matter of the bankruptcy of Tarsem Singh Gill- lead counsel for Deloitte & Touche Inc., the Trustee in Bankruptcy of Tarsem Singh Gill. This is a complex bankruptcy arising out of the misuse of funds by disbarred lawyer Martin Wirick. It is one of the largest fraud cases in British Columbia history. The bankruptcy involves over 350 properties, and approximately $65 million in potential claims.
- In 1999-2001, in the matter of the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act and United Used & Auto Truck Parts Ltd. –counsel for one of the senior secured creditors.
- In 1997-1998, in the matter of the Proposal of J.S. McMillan Fisheries Ltd. – acted as one of the counsel for the lead lender in a secured creditor syndicate.
- In 1990-1991, in the matter of the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act and Quintette Coal Ltd. – acted as one of the counsel for a significant stakeholder of Quintette Coal Ltd.
Bonita has written several articles and has been a speaker at several insolvency related meetings including the Annual General Meeting of the British Columbia branch of the Canadian Insolvency Practitioners’ Association, Continuing Leagal Education Seminars, the Credit Grantors Association of British Columbia, and various meetings of Credit Unions in British Columbia.
- "Personal Bankruptcy", Bankruptcy and Insolvency 2013 Course, Continuing Legal Education Society of BC,Vancouver, BC(March 24, 2013),Speaker