Recognitions / Rankings
- Legal 500 Canada 2015 ranks Lawson Lundell as a leading firm in Infrastructure and projects law.
Public Private Partnerships and Infrastructure
British Columbia has been one of the leaders in North America in the use of Public Private Partnerships (“P3”) for the development of public infrastructure projects and Lawson Lundell has been actively involved in various P3 and public infrastructure projects.
We have acted for private consortia, significant contractors, third party lenders and governmental entities in various P3 and infrastructure projects. We understand the critical issues surrounding the balancing of risk between the public and private sector entities, and are familiar with the broad range of other issues affecting P3 infrastructure projects.
Our experience ranges from the commencement of the procurement process through contract award, financial close and project construction. We have also been involved in the purchase and sale of project entities.
Our P3 group works closely with our clients and with other groups in the firm including our Construction and Engineering, Banking and Commercial Lending, Environmental, Aboriginal, Labour and Employment, Tax and other groups, as appropriate.
Examples of our Firm’s experience in P3 and infrastructure projects include the following:
- External counsel to Translink (South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority) with respect to the public sector funding of the $1.9 billion Richmond-Airport-Vancouver Rapid Transit Line (now called the Canada Line)
- Local counsel to ABN AMRO Bank N.V., the successful proponent to design, build, operate and finance the $100 million Academic Ambulatory Care Centre (now the Gordon and Leslie Diamond Health Care Centre) at Vancouver General Hospital
- Local counsel to ABN AMRO Bank N.V., the successful proponent to design, build, operate and finance the $335 million Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Centre
- External counsel to the BC Housing and Management Commission on various public/private projects to develop community-based assisted living, complex care and other non-market housing and care facilities
- Counsel to a major contractor supplying the $800 million Golden Ears Bridge Project
- Counsel to the Yukon Government providing fairness opinions on various procurement processes
- External counsel to Translink on various vehicle procurement projects
- Counsel to the project developer of the Skytrain Expo Line Phases I and II and Millenium Line