Recognitions / Rankings
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2017 recognizes our lawyers in the area of Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law.
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2016 recognizes our lawyers in the area of Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law.
Insolvency and Restructuring
Our lawyers have extensive experience in acting for corporate and individual debtors, secured and unsecured creditors, trustees and receivers in matters ranging from simple collections and personal bankruptcy matters to complex restructurings under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act or the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act. Our group’s broad range of experience has resulted in us representing every major stakeholder in various types of corporate restructurings. We are dispute resolution lawyers experienced in the economic and timely resolution of commercial and lending impasses through negotiation, mediation, arbitration and litigation at all court levels.
We deal with such matters as:
- Advising debtors, creditors and monitors with respect to private and court supervised corporate restructurings
- Advising debtors and creditors respecting debtor in possession financing including preparation of the appropriate documentation
- Cross-border insolvencies
- Representation in court of creditors, debtors, receivers, liquidators, monitors and trustees in bankruptcy
- Reviews and opinions respecting security enforceability and priorities between creditors
- Private and court enforcement of security against real and personal property
- Negotiating and drafting of forbearance and subordination agreements between debtors and creditors
- Personal bankruptcy issues including opposed discharge applications
- Advising commercial landlords through the pitfalls of insolvency filings by commercial tenants
- Negotiation and preparation of restructuring plans
- Purchase and sale of companies in distress
- Asset tracing and recovery resulting from fraudulent transactions