Recognitions / Rankings
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2016-18 recognizes our lawyers for Environmental Law.
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2017 recognizes Lawson Lundell as a leading firm in Environmental Law.
- Chambers Global 2017 recognizes Lawson Lundell for Environmental Law.
- Chambers Canada 2017 recognizes Lawson Lundell in the Environment (Nationwide- Canada).
- Legal 500 Canada 2017 recommends Lawson Lundell and our lawyers for Environmental Law.
- Legal 500 Canada 2017 recognizes our Lawyers in elite "Leading lawyers" for Environmental Law.
- Chambers Global 2016 recognizes Lawson Lundell for Environmental Law.
- Chambers Canada 2016 recognizes Lawson Lundell in the Environment (Canada) and Vancouver: Environment (Canada) category.
- Legal 500 Canada 2015 recommends Lawson Lundell for Environmental Law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016 recognizes Lawson Lundell as a leading firm in Environmental Law.
- Who's Who Legal 2016 recommends Lawson Lundell for Environmental Law.
- Benchmark Canada: The Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys 2015 recognizes Lawson Lundell for Environmental Law.
- Legal 500 Canada 2015 ranks Lawson Lundell as a leading firm in Environmental Law.
- Chambers Global 2015 recognizes Lawson Lundell for Environmental Law.
- Who's Who Legal 2015 recommends Lawson Lundell for Environmental Law.
The focus of the Project Law Blog is on matters relating to environmental assessment and compliance, regulatory matters and aboriginal consultation issues emerging in the law and policy that applies to the development of major projects in Canada.
Lawson Lundell’s Environmental Law Group provides advice and assistance to clients in all aspects of environmental law including:
- Commercial transactions – due diligence, risk assessments, allocation of liability, representations and warranties, and indemnities
- Environmental management systems – training, compliance, liability of officers and directors, and environmental audits
- Environmental assessment of projects – federal, provincial and territorial environmental assessment processes, major projects, project descriptions, screenings, comprehensive studies and public reviews under the British Columbia Environmental Assessment Act, the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, the Yukon Environmental And Socio-Economic Assessment Act, the Mackenzie Valley Environmental Impact Review Board, and the Nunavut Impact Review Board
- Regulatory and licensing requirements – applications for licences, permits and authorizations under the federal Fisheries Act, and provincial and territorial environmental management and protection acts, and water acts
- Contaminated sites – polluter, generator and responsible persons liability, allocation of liability, site remediation requirements, remediation cost claims, and certificates of compliance
- Reclamation, closure and remediation – bonding, security, and environmental trusts
- Environmental offences – spill reporting, inspections, investigations and defence of environmental prosecutions under the Fisheries Act and provincial and territorial environmental assessment management and protection acts
The Group is experienced in advising clients in all industries including oil and gas, pulp and paper, forest harvesting, mining, transportation (public transit, marine transportation and port facilities, railways, and truck transport), real estate investment, real estate development, aquaculture, and hydroelectric power generation.
Examples of our experience include:
- Providing advice to project proponents involved in environmental assessments and regulatory approval including:
- Project counsel to mining projects in British Columbia, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut
- Project counsel to hydroelectric projects in British Columbia and the North
- Project counsel to the forest industry and pulp and paper projects
- Pipeline projects
- Liquid natural gas projects
- Marine ports and transportation projects
- Corporate environmental compliance – developing training programs, environmental audits, ISO certification, environmental management systems for major mining companies, forestry companies, manufacturing companies, and companies engaged in oil and gas refining, engineering and real estate
- Environmental agreements – negotiating an environmental agreement (with government and First Nations) to establish an environmental monitoring board for a major mine
- Public hearings – project counsel in public hearings before joint review panels, Environmental Appeal Boards, Water Boards, the National Energy Board, and the Nunavut Impact Review Board
- Environmental litigation – representation of project proponents in mining, marine ports, forestry, aquaculture, and energy in responding to judicial review proceedings in Federal Court (Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, Fisheries Act) and Supreme Court (British Columbia Environmental Assessment Act)
- Environmental insurance – representation of major industrial clients in connection with environmental insurance claims
- Injunctions – representation of resource industry clients in obtaining injunctions to address road blockades of environmental activists
- Defence of environmental prosecutions – all industries
|Armstrong, QC, Brad||604.631.9126|